Status
Not open for further replies.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Hmm, wonder what grade the ti plate and bolts holding my upper jaw to my skull are? :D They were expensive, I know that much.
Plate probably grade 2, screws probably grade 4 :D

Grade 5 has vanadium in it so probably not a good idea, don't know.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
From what I could gather from Google the ASTM sets standards for different grades of titanium. I was curious as to what the grade 1 titanium standards were but not $43 worth.:( Does anyone know if there are any possible differences in one vendor's legit grade 1 titanium versus another's that would be of significance to vapers?

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
From what I could gather from Google the ASTM sets standards for different grades of titanium. I was curious as to what the grade 1 titanium standards were but not $43 worth.:( Does anyone know if there are any possible differences in one vendor's legit grade 1 titanium versus another's that would be of significance to vapers?
None besides presentation (cleaned / non cleaned or annealed / non annealed)

Regards
Tony

jks89

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2015
Vermont, USA
The surgical grade expression is just a gimmik unless they clean and sterilize it. It won't change grade though.

This is from Envycigs site re: Spider Silk wire:

Spider Silk TI wire does not use any acid etching and because of TI wire properties we cannot torch the wire to burn off the cutting oils.

Instead of these typical ways to clean the wire, we use a four stage cleaning process to remove as much of the cutting oils as possible:

1. First we use water bath on the TI wire
  2. Then use an microfiber cloth soaked in an all-natural hypoallergenic soap to wipe down the wire as we spool
  3. Next we put a maximum of 10 spools into an ultrasonic cleaning bath of water and all-natural hypoallergenic soap for 4 minutes.
  4. Finally we transfer the spools into a second ultrasonic cleaning bath of isopropyl alcohol and water and after 4 minutes we take them out and set them to dry
Titanium Wire for Vaping, Vape on TI wire

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
This is from Envycigs site re: Spider Silk wire:

Spider Silk TI wire does not use any acid etching and because of TI wire properties we cannot torch the wire to burn off the cutting oils.

Instead of these typical ways to clean the wire, we use a four stage cleaning process to remove as much of the cutting oils as possible:

1. First we use water bath on the TI wire
  2. Then use an microfiber cloth soaked in an all-natural hypoallergenic soap to wipe down the wire as we spool
  3. Next we put a maximum of 10 spools into an ultrasonic cleaning bath of water and all-natural hypoallergenic soap for 4 minutes.
  4. Finally we transfer the spools into a second ultrasonic cleaning bath of isopropyl alcohol and water and after 4 minutes we take them out and set them to dry
Titanium Wire for Vaping, Vape on TI wire
So you basically just confirmed what I said. They clean and sterilize it.

It's no special grade apart from grade 1.

Regards
Tony

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Hmm, wonder what grade the ti plate and bolts holding my upper jaw to my skull are? :D They were expensive, I know that much.

Well according to Tony if your Jaw falls off it is probably Grade 1 and you should have been vaping it instead of eating with it. :lol:

On a serious note (no answer required) what happened that you had to go "Terminator"?

jks89

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2015
Vermont, USA
So basically what many of us are doing. Clear your wires with soap in a water bath and then wipe of with alcohol :D

After reading that I felt a little better about not thinking to wash it myself before use. Then again, I'm also the guy that usually forgets to wash new clothes before wearing them too.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Mine from unkamen was very clean. All I did was wipe with alcohol and its wasn't even that dirty. Vaped out just fine with no prep or pre heating at all.

If you get an old ti that is oxidized you'll need to clean it more. A scotch brite wipe would be great. I did do that on my first coil but its not really necessary if you have shiney clean wire, or should I say good wire.

Ill say this again as I was concerned before I got ti. I did nothing but wipe with alcohol and wrap the coil. No annealing heating to blue or anything. Nothing and I don't see any issue whatsoever, Am I missing something?

Spider silk - its bs unless you want to pay a high price for them to wipe it off. Most of those processes seem completely unnessesary if you get decent wire to start with.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Torching to yellow or blue is only necessary for

a) contact coils
b) make the wire more malleable if it's too springy.

When I finally get my hands on that SV vacuum annealed Ti, I'm pretty sure I'll never torch again.

For now, my zivipf wire will bite me if I don't kill it with a flame first.

Regards
Tony

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Ok so what do you think of this wire any better or not.
Ti-Wire
I am not sure if it is worth the extra money or not $30 for 50'

Grade 1 Titanium wire is grade 1 titanium wire. If you are willing to pay folks to rip you off so be it. Otherwise..

Spoonful
Did you ever have to make up your mind" ?

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Ok so what do you think of this wire any better or not.
Ti-Wire
I am not sure if it is worth the extra money or not $30 for 50'

Bs bs bs

Never tried it but its more than double what I paid for mine and to me it seems perfect. Unkamen 10.00 for 40ft why fight it, don't waste your money. Unless you want to and it makes you feel better.

All the prep stuff seems to be related to zipv or whatever ti. Mine is perfect nothing needed to be done it.

No torching and I did these coils. ti is is more malleable than kanthal but strong enough to be repositioned after wicking and hold its position when your done.

This build was wiped on all sides with scotchbrite and alcohol wipe.(my very first ti coils). No preheating at all.
Clt v1, 28g ti, .31

This build was just wiped once with alcohol, nothing else done not even heating before I wicked it.. Rayon wicks of course. (my second ti build)
Flash E-vapor v3, 28g ti, .52

Don't waste time with micro touching coils. They provide little to no benefit unless your still using an ego or something.

It may be easier to wrap it touching around the mandrel to start because it will spring out a little to be spaced, and then you can adjust spacing. Turning a small screwdriver between the wraps spaces it nicely.

Last edited:

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Torching to yellow or blue is only necessary for

a) contact coils
b) make the wire more malleable if it's too springy.

When I finally get my hands on that SV vacuum annealed Ti, I'm pretty sure I'll never torch again.

For now, my zivipf wire will bite me if I don't kill it with a flame first.

Regards
Tony

Aha so you are going for the SV then Tony. Thats the one I was thinking of too. Sounds better then the cheap stuff but not a dollar a foot.

Reactions: tchavei

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Grade 1 Titanium wire is grade 1 titanium wire. If you are willing to pay folks to rip you off so be it. Otherwise..

Spoonful
Did you ever have to make up your mind" ?
Too many times since I started this in 08. I think I am going for the SV stuff .4mm 26awg.

Reactions: tchavei

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
My .52 ti build on a Flash e-vapor v3 hasn't budged a bit even overnight. The cold lock process i posted yesterday seemed to work very well and there was no refining needed.

To the question does an atty work well in temp control .. There may be some wonder if it is because It has a soldered wire connection to the positive pin. It's good and that connection must be very stable.

I run it with no air screw for 3mm air.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Well according to Tony if your Jaw falls off it is probably Grade 1 and you should have been vaping it instead of eating with it. :lol:

On a serious note (no answer required) what happened that you had to go "Terminator"?

Kicked in the face by a horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread