First B&M experience...Can you say "Profit Margin"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Nom

Apr 28, 2015
B&M here sells 25ft for 4$ and it's even in a nice coil/ziplock bag with house branding. That's what i see as more reasonable. They don't have a ton of overhead on batteries, cotton, wire because as the owner said "it's just the nature of the beast, how can you expect to sell atomizers, mods, juice if you dont have the remaining parts reasonably accessible" Which comes to stand that the "incidentals" of it all really should be carried just because they have to, not as a pusher to get them in the black. That's just my $0.02

Reactions: schatz

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Oh a dollar a foot is nothing. When I started with RBA's and mech the local vape store wanted $4 a foot for both kanthal and silica. There was a huge vape opera going on there and a very nasty guy working there who hated me because I could build a genny right and he could not to save his life, so he'd treat me real nasty when I came in.

Reactions: thetrucker

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
If I had a shop I'd charge a buck a foot and anyone who complained I'd charge a buck fiddy that time and 2 bucks moving forward.

People that were in my shop all the time spending money would get it for free.

But really for low volume users a foot should re-coil an RTA and last 3 months. So anyone that whines about 1 dollar every three months isn't someone I'm gonna make money off of and I ani't gonna waste alot of time on them.

Anyone who uses alot of wire already knows about TEMCO and I ain't gonna make any money off them either but as long as they ain't whining they might be fun to pass the time with.

Reactions: thetrucker

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
But really for low volume users a foot should re-coil an RTA and last 3 months. So anyone that whines about 1 dollar every three months isn't someone I'm gonna make money off of and I ani't gonna waste alot of time on them.
Charging the most for the cheapest item makes me not want to buy ANYTHING from them every, I'm not whining about spending a dollar, I'm POed about someone trying to rip me off

baaadjustin

Moved On
Apr 13, 2015
Missouri
So I need to build a couple new coils and am tired of 28g and want to try 24g so I looked on Amazon and can get a 100 foot roll for $4.85. Then i thought I would run by a local vape shop and see if they have any cuz I didn't want to wait til next week. I walked in and asked the teenage girl there if they had any and she said yes, so I asked how much it was.....$1.00 per foot....WOW I was shocked, I expected $10 to $15 for a roll but I didn't expect $100 for a roll! So I told her that I thought that was a little outrageous and I could get it on Amazon for 5 bucks....she said "Well this isn't Amazon", so I told her I would take 1 foot. She then bent over and stretched the wire out on the floor using the tile for a measuring device. I gave her my dollar and walked out. I didn't even bother looking at anything else, with a profit margin like that I was scared to look!
B&ms don't have the luxury of selling to peeps in every state. They cannot order the quantity online stores can so the prices they pay are higher, meaning they have to charge more.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Did you ask how much rent was, hydro bills, gas bills, insuranceand shelling out their money out front to buy stock? Someone has to pay for that. They are not in business for the goodness of their hearts. They have to feed families also. Can not expect a store to have prices of someone selling stuff on internetout of their house

This reply is BS, little truth for the newer people), first places like temco are massive manufacturing facilities. Im sure they could rent for 40 vape shops in just what they pay in electric. Yet they seem to be able to sell 100 ft spools for 7 bucks AND include free shipping.

years ago, Before the big sellers got on the scene. They were supplying the vape shops at the time but didnt know this was a new market under thier noses.

Ask any vet on here about the way they acted a few years ago - sources for wire and steel mesh for wicks was a closly guarded secret and all the vape shops acted like it was very special and hard to get. Charging crazy prices like 5 bucks for 3 feet of kanthol. And 3-5 bucks for a 3×2 in piece of mesh.

Meanwhile they were getting it from temco and chiba for 15 bucks per 250 feet and mesh is 40 bucks at grainger for a 4x4 foot sheet.

If anyone on here believes the average b&m isnt fleecing you beyond a modest profit margin well then you deserve everything you get.

Its funny how this always comes up, and tbe defense is always but, but rent and stock!!!.

Yet at the SAME TIME several of the most popular vaping sites ARE also physical B&M's and somehow they are raking in the cash without raping everyone.

Im willing to bet most of tbe peeps on here also dont know joyetech, kanger, innokin and most of the rest also have price fixing policies as well. If you refuse to sell for thier markup they will claim yiu sell counterfeit goods. And thats why so many b&m with decent pricing arent trusted.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
It's been said before, and I hate adding fuel to the fire, but they will charge what the market will bear. I don't have an issue with it. Ever bought a bottle of aspirin at a stop 'n rob? I paid $1.00 for two Excedrin a few weeks ago. Bowling balls and motorcycle helmets in B&Ms are another "ripoff", but I'm okay with paying extra for service and convenience.

Vote with your wallet. It's your right as a consumer to do so.

Its $9.99 for 30' here. I know because I was desperate once when the cat stole a roll, and I could not find it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a thieving cat. She also likes to knock stuff off the table and push it under the couch.

xwarp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Tucson AZ
I bought 3 feet for $3 of 28 gauge kanthal from a local B&M a couple weeks ago because I needed it at the time. Was cheaper than buying new OCC's for the subtank.

I then ordered 230 feet of 28g kanthal off ebay from a fellow in cali for 2 cents a foot.

There are B&M shops that also sell online for WAY less than their B&M counterparts around the corner. Sweet-Vapes is one that I can think of. I got 2 subtank minis shipped from them for half the price than any local shop.

Buy or don't buy locally. Free market and all that.

Just my .02

Disradfrac

Apr 28, 2015
My only problem with a B&M is the fact that between the one I first started going to and the one I started going to later. I originally went to one and they charged $15 per 30ml. The second shop kind of sucked at the time. I think once they figured out their core group of customers and rearranged their shop, they got a lot more popular. I was only $8 for a 30ml there. I could customize my blend unlike the first place. Their hardware selection at the first place is a lot better, but of course I just order everything I can online.

Unfortunately now I live in a town that has not a single shop, so I'm basically stuck ordering online and trying to find the perfect online retailer

The Shotcaller

Jul 4, 2015
I see I can buy stuff for half the cost on that fasttech site I just learned of 5 mins ago that I did at my local store (it's actually farther from me than a lot of other stores but I didn't like their inventory from what I could see online).

But when I go in I can learn whatever I want, the staff shows you how to use what you buy or build a coil etc and most importantly they have every flavor there for you to try for free, literally you can try every one

That's a definite value vs ordering online what you haven't tasted based on descriptions and hoping when it arrives you like it.

I think one of the members posting here is from the shop I go to, last time I went in and bought a rebuildable (2 if you include the subox) coil and wire and they said Thursday nights they do like a class for building coils but I usually end up working til late

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Me too Ahhh I think I need some 32 and 28 and 24 ohh ya and could you bend over and give me an extra foot of that

ahhhhhhhhh 26 guage and I need some.........................(Looking at short skirt)
Yah! Sucks getting old huh? Don't you wish you could be 25 again with the knowledge we have today? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread