DNA 200 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Bloke, your second soldering attempt looks great.
I'm hoping to be soldering mine this weekend. I decided to change the JST connector on my battery because I'm not sure if ifs up to the required 23amps, I don't think that I'll ever be drawing that much though.
My variant clone uses micro dean connectors..... They have handled the current with ease and are pretty small

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Hi instead of using the balance charging connector can I not solder the wires straight onto board instead ?
Thanks David

If you solder the battery to the board, you should go ahead and solder the balance taps as a battery replacement is already a solder job, so you might as well save the room.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Thanks all!

Hehe I didn't even think about whether the JST connector could handle the amps. I guess I just assumed that because my 30-50C battery came with a JST, it must be capable of at least 30A continuous, 50A burst.

Well, like most assumptions, that was dumb. Mandro is absolutely right. I just checked and JST is rated for 10A max! People in the RC forums are saying the high-C batteries might come with the little plugs for RC models that might need the mah but won't pull the amps. Still a bit dumb in my view, to supply a battery with a connector rated one fifth of the burst capacity.

Anyway, yes I need to replace those pronto!

I just did a bit of searching and I think I will go for XT60 connectors instead, which are good for 40-70A. Well, there's a range of connectors capable of 40-70A, but XT60s seem easy to build and are quite popular. Loads on eBay.

FYI if anyone is interested in seeing all the connectors people use for LiPos, grouped by their max current capabilities, this video is helpful:

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
I took mikepetro's advice and bought some XT30 connectors, they are good for up to 30 amps and are much smaller than the XT60.

Given that I intend to box it up and never look back, set it to 4.1 v charge and get 2000 cycles, I will be soldering it to the chip and save the room in the enclosure.

Mandro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Tamworth UK
Given that I intend to box it up and never look back, set it to 4.1 v charge and get 2000 cycles, I will be soldering it to the chip and save the room in the enclosure.

I'm trying to make mine so that I can remove all the parts should a problem arise. It will be the first time that I've used the on board switches with a DNA board, they should be fine but if I have to make adjustments, I can.
The other worry (again, I don't expect any problems) is getting to the on board fuse.

ozen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Rabbit Hole
does this have any known bugs yet? I really don't need 200w but welcome the other technology. each round I end up with yihi due to bugs. I would like the verdict this time before I waste another 200+ bucks. it will be interesting to see yihi's answer anyhow.
ATM none, checkout DNA 200 Early Adopters Forum for any updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread