Status
Not open for further replies.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
well you get points for trying. Looks like I've got more research to do, if I want to be up to speed on my cigarette smoking replacement hobby. At least I'm not still puffin on a cig-a-like.
Best thing about vaping is that you can go simple or complex or anywhere in between. Temp protection is on the complex side of the scale but worth it, IMO. Luckily we have this great forum to ask questions and learn as much as we want (sometimes more :lol: )

Vince159

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA USA
I totally agree, I've been enjoying TC since it became available; it seems I've been operating on just enough info to get by. I have been getting by quite nicely though, I've got 4 dna 40 unit going at all times :) but now with the new 200 watt board coming out, there's a lot to learn about that; and plenty of TC info I've not been familiar with, apparently.

Reactions: mackman

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
My thoughts on the Lipo dilemma.

With the release of the DNA200, as well as several other Mods, that utilize Lipo batteries, a lot of fear and apprehension has surfaced in the community.

Why do we even consider Lipos?

Lets face it, we have pushed our Mods and the current 18650 technology to its max! Our ever escalating hunger for more power, a better vape, bigger clouds, etc.. has pushed our need for a portable energy source beyond what 18650 IMR/ICR cells are designed to deliver. We are running these cells at their maximum discharge ratings, and pushing them even further if we can. No battery is happy being run continually at its upper rating. Batteries perform better, last longer, and are safer, when run at a about 75% of the rated capacity. This means that for high power Mods - 18650s just aren't cutting it anymore.

Lipo was selected by Mod engineers because it has the highest energy density of any commonly available energy source. It also has a much better voltage curve as it depletes. These are the exact same reasons that industries supplying Robotics, Electric Bikes, Cellphones, Tablets, Kindles, R/C Hobby, and many other Consumer Electronics products, adopted Lipo batteries.

Why are so many people so scared of Lipos?
Early generation Lipos were adopted by the R/C hobby enthusiasts long ago because of their energy density. Just like us vapers push our 18650s, their pushed these Lipos to the max! They did all sorts of things to push the performance to higher levels. Things like over charging, heating the batteries, charging them super fast, and a variety of other tricks. Their application is also a lot more physically demanding than ours. They are flying planes and driving cars, often pushing the vehicles limits and sometimes crashing them causing physical damage to the cells. Between the performance enhancement tricks and the physical damage, many incidents occurred where the batteries failed spectacularly. These failures were captured on YouTube and hit the newspapers, and the spectacular nature of how a Lipo can fail became well known, albeit not very well understood by the uninitiated. Suffice it to say that failure rate experienced by R/C hobbyist probably dwarfs anything we will see in our application.

Are Lipos really more dangerous?
They "can" be, YES! The more energy you store, the more densely you store it, the more dangerous it can be in an uncontrolled release. This applies to electricity, compressed gas, springs, or any other energy source you can imagine. However they "can" be used quite safely. Think about that Smartphone that you might be reading this on. Safe use is a function of proper engineering, and operating the battery within its designed parameters. We use Lipo tech in all sorts of things everyday. Dont attempt to push a cell beyond its design limits and you will not be likely to encounter any issues. Overcharging, excessive heat, excessive drain, short circuiting, physical trauma, are all things that can cause the magic smoke and even fire.

Can we use them safely?
Yes we can! I have been using Lipos in my Mods for a few years now, and I have not had a single incident with them. Today's generation of Lipo is very safe IF used within their design parameters. The key is EDUCATION. Not casually reading one of my, or someone Else's, posts, but really studying the technology and understanding it if you are going to utilize them in your build. It is beyond my intended scope to "teach" this technology, I do not feel qualified, but I will include several good links at the end of this.

IMHO the fear that many feel towards this technology results from inadequate education.
There is no lazy way out, if you want to be safe you must educate yourself!

Here are a few resources to get you started, Google is your friend!

http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/
Lithium Polymer Etiquette: A Comprehensive Guide to Working with LiPo
http://www.rcaces.org/RC Aces News Letter/A_Guide_to_LiPo_Batteries.pdf
Lithium Polymer Charging/Discharging & Safety Information
RC Battery Guide: The Basics of Lithium-Polymer Batteries - Tested
All about lipo balance connectors - TJinTech
http://oes.tamu.edu/web/guidelines/battery/LiPo Procedures.pdf
The Ultimate LiPo Drone Battery Care Guide - Dronethusiast
Understanding RC LiPo Batteries
Complete Guide to Lithium Polymer Batteries and LiPo Failure Reports - RC Groups
BU-206a: Finding the Optimal Runtime and Power Ratio of Li-ion – Battery University
Basic understanding of LiPo, Li-Ion and LiFePo4 battery, its use and care

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
That was very well said bud.
I just had a flashback to rc life.
I'm surprised so many vapers are into r/c stuff. I used to race 1/10th about 25 yrs ago when NiCd was the only option. I built my own battery packs with matched cells tested on my Victor Engineering charger/tester and power supply.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
I'm surprised so many vapers are into r/c stuff. I used to race 1/10th about 25 yrs ago when NiCd was the only option. I built my own battery packs with matched cells tested on my Victor Engineering charger/tester and power supply.

Too funny, me too! The guys I raced with in So Cal would hang out with Reedy's son so we could get all his cherry picked motors and matched sets from AE :thumbs:

Freaking hilarious when someone got their gearing was wrong and died on the final lap.

Reactions: KTMRider

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Too funny, me too! The guys I raced with in So Cal would hang out with Reedy's son so we could get all his cherry picked motors and matched sets from AE :thumbs:

Freaking hilarious when someone got their gearing was wrong and died on the final lap.
I placed 3rd in the NE regionals for trucks and 8th for cars. My packs were just enough to get maybe 1/2 lap after the race. I would plug in a freshly charged battery and turn it on at the line and then run up to the drivers' stand at the last second. I remember winning a few races because the guy ahead of me ran out of power on the last lap (usually of 10).

Nowadays, they can run 2 races or more with the current battery packs.

Reactions: ThunderDan

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Time for a new family picture . . .

E1.JPG

The Tibs . . .

E2.JPG

Custard Vape dual 18650 and the DNA 40 Large Screen Sagittarius

E3.JPG

And a couple Jonniemacs . . . a pocket friendly favorite:

E4.JPG

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Update on my mini mini project mod. I sealed all the holes by melting plastic.

Sent from The Truck O Shop

Wow, that is so much smaller then I thought it would be! I'm really looking forward to seeing it when you get her done.

A thought for filling holes and such, have you ever tried J-B Weld epoxy? I use the stuff a lot, more the slow set then the fast because the slow is much stronger and harder then the fast set but for something like this I'd use the fast. You can file, sand, drill and tap it, comes out grey after mixing.

I forgot to ask, did you happen to make a delivery to Ted's in New Berlin the other day? I use to go to New Berlin a lot when I worked and an insurance adjuster, I'm about an hour and half from there, I live right off exit 9 on Rt 81.

Reactions: tiburonfirst
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread