Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
So that would explain why TFA, arguably one of the biggest flavor vendors for ejuice companies and DIY, talks about not being sure what is in some of the flavors they acquire from other companies? The wording is a bit too vague for me to be sure, but I think they do create many, but not all, of their own flavors - FlavorWorkshopPartI

These are the top twelve flavor manufacturers in the world :

Flavor & Fragrance Industry - Top 10

How many of them are known to even avid diy'ers ?

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas

I've never heard of any of them!!

I also wonder how many of them would supply such a fledgling industry with apparently stricter requirements? None would be my guess.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY

I also wonder how many of them would supply such a fledgling industry with apparently stricter requirements? None would be my guess.

I read somewhere Linc Williams, the owner of Nicvape say that these companies will not even deal with the re-distributors and compounders that cater to the vape industry. They abandoned the cigarette industry ( due to high insurance costs ) years ago, and they sure as hell won't deal with our industry which is miniscule compared to the cigarette industry.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
So that would explain why TFA, arguably one of the biggest flavor vendors for ejuice companies and DIY, talks about not being sure what is in some of the flavors they acquire from other companies? The wording is a bit too vague for me to be sure, but I think they do create many, but not all, of their own flavors - FlavorWorkshopPartI

Correct. But note, a flavor chemist (in the truest sense of the profession) would not be googling. And that is no knock on Linda, just distinguishing.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place

Exactly. Just like how you've likely never heard of the actual makers of the vast majority of eliquid that floods and pops up in our market everyday. The source-companies don't need to be known to regular consumers, just those that buy from them that are looking to build a brand that you will recognize.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place

And almost like with the white-lablelers, these companies aren't selling any kind of 3 mL, 1 oz or even 1L bottles for your own ventures. They don't even have shopping carts. Oh, no! They ain't 'bout the nickel and dime. B2B only, and even that's hardly a guarantee they would even do business with you.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Exactly. Just like how you've likely never heard of the actual makers of the eliquid that floods and pops up in our market everyday. The source-companies don't need to be known to regular consumers, just those that buy from them that are looking to build a brand that you will recognize.

Yes. Branding is really not a very personal thing after a certain point. :)

At any rate, this brings us back to DAP in eliquids. Like Dr. F. said, testing (the eliquid itself, i.e, the END PRODUCT) is the only way to know.

You have to test your eliquids that you have created, mixed and filled. Whether you did these things yourself or not. Because that is the product your customer is receiving. What is in the bottle.

these {Flavoring} companies will not even deal with the re-distributors and compounders that cater to the vape industry. They abandoned the cigarette industry ( due to high insurance costs ) years ago, and they sure as hell won't deal with our industry which is miniscule compared to the cigarette industry.

Well, they probably saw the writing on the wall.....now that so many posts here have been about "holding the food flavoring manufacturers responsible. :lol: (an absolutely absurd idea anyway, for anyone who knows about these things.)

Again, testing the "final product" ----- the product the vaping customer RECEIVES, for DAP, will tell you what you need to know.

And why, a very smart person like Dr. Farsalinos, suggested that in the first darn place , while so many are still wasting their time pointing fingers north, south, east, west and everywhere in-between!

Do we really need to reinvent the wheel? (it does serve as a great STALLING TECHNIQUE, doesn't it though?) :evil:

I think there are enough guidelines already to know what levels are okay and what are not. Dr. F. feels zero DA/AP should be in elquids, but I think in order to satisfy and be lenient to some "sneaking in", we need to go by levels that have already been tossed around and which are at least, a PRUDENT starting point.

Starting point being the operative word. Not excuses. Not stalling. Not an endless round of "who's on base?" And poking at things with a stick like the cavemen did. We have enough information that this stuff is more than likely, an inhalation risk.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
From over a year ago: (bolding mine)

Dr. Farsalinos: "They never asked for any proof for that (which means, analytical testing with proper limits of detection). Of course, this is not an excuse, they should have shown a more professional behavior.....We emphasize the fact that none should trust any verbal or personal reassurance that diacetyl is not present in the flavorings. Only proper testing and publication of the result can provide true and trustful information. Testing is not cost-prohibitive, and will make the e-cigarette liquids even safer than they currently are. I think the industry has a perfect opportunity to show responsibility and a good face."

Donate to Dr Farsalinos' new study | Page 8 | E-Cigarette Forum

Testing is not expensive and vendors shouldn't be relying on assurance from their suppliers either.

I applaud vendors that do that work. The ones that don't or simply don't know will either profit or fall depending on demand. IE - the way it works when gov't doesn't get involved.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I applaud vendors that do that work. The ones that don't or simply don't know will either profit or fall depending on demand. IE - the way it works when gov't doesn't get involved.

YES. That's one reason I'm not going to be quick to throw a company under the bus if testing shows their product is off the chart or participate in blame games. The way I see it we are all in this together as pioneers. Figuring out this testing stuff is going to be extremely helpful in the future and manufacturers deserve a chance to respond. There's a chance that it's more than one fugitive element causing the problem and the solution is more like peeling the layers of an onion.

I seriously would like to see most juice manufacturers posting test results. They aren't going to if it causes too much of a publicity storm. If customers demand it, then it will happen. The fact that it's gotten this far is kudos to the industry.

The FDA won't do this. We'll know even less about what is used in eliquids if they are regulated to big tobacco. No one even knows how much tar and nic are in a cigarette now that the FDA is in control. I think the additive list was a requirement of the MSA in the 90's and that still hasn't happened (and I doubt it will).

There's been a number of things from Dr. F that I'm not in total agreement with (although I respect and support him). I don't think testing is currently able to produce standardized repeatable results to the degree that he and others seem to expect.

I don't think manufacturers are being malicious when they recieve one set of results and a third party gets something wildly different. The biggest problem is pretending like it doesn't matter when the response should be to investigate what's going on. This is an industry level problem which Dr. F did reveal. There is a trade organization that should be addressing these issues as well.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I don't think you can say testing is easy or cheap until you've established a threshold. I have no idea what that threshold should be, but Dr F seems to think it should be miniscule. Too low for most laboratories to accurately measure I think.
Not too low.. They just have to test that low from the start. Equipment set too high will show 0 AP

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I just want people to know how their juice gets to them in many cases, and how an industry that is projected to have profits in the billions no longer really qualifiies as mom n' pop......and that what we think are smallish companies are shipping out 10,000 bottles at a time and most of them are being made in factory environments just like Hangsen in China or RJ Reynolds, etc. They are coming off conveyor belts, and aren't being made *at* the little vape shop/internet storefront. In many cases the storefront just takes the orders....they aren't even doing their own shipping anymore. They can't. It's gotten too big.

I hate to think that vapers believe somebody, for the most part, is standing around in a little room hand-pouring eliquids or something. That was probably true back in 2009 and maybe there are still a few.....

I was pretty amazed myself when I looked at the filling stuff going on at California Vaping, and all the other WHITE LABEL turnkey ejuice factories springing up all over the place. I found at least a whole page of them, in the blink of an eye, just by googling. Even Johnson Creek has expanded into "making ejuice for other companies".
Johnson Creek Enterprises Expands E-Liquid Manufacturing in America -- HARTLAND, Wis., April 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

This has to be done, because most eliquid companies are NOT going to be able to build out huge manufacturing plants....either they don't want to make the investment, or they just don't want to man and manage a facility of that size.

I just wanted vapers to know that a ton of these Turnkey, White Label labs exist now, and most likely, some of the ejuice you buy from a little storefront on the internet is being labeled, manufacturered, put on pallets, and shipped to the customer by someone else nowadays. And it may be a recipe that is in-house, or a recipe that is custom.

Some of them even have lists of their house flavors..........you will notice um.......similarities.

I thought the photo from the California Vapor site, filling bottles with a brand name many are familiar with, would make it clearer to vapers what the eliquid industry has become, and moreso, where it's GOING.
e Liquid Filling - California Vapor

eLiquid Manufacturing - Molecule Labs
Superior Products | e-Liquid Manufacturing | CleanVape e-Juice
eLiquid Whitelabel Program - Your Own Branded eJuice - AllVapeWareHouse
Best E-Liquid Wholesale Suppliers | E Cig + Cigarette Liquid Wholesale
Accutek Packaging Equipment | The solution for all your bottling and packaging equipment needs
American Cleanroom Systems E-Liquid Cleanrooms
Wholesale E-Liquid Supplier | 100% US Made E-Juice For The Best Price
Everything Liquid | The Grumpy Vaper
White label e-liquid wholesalers - E-liquid branded to your logo
White label e-liquid wholesalers - E-liquid branded to your logo
COMPLETE TURNKEY PROCESSING PLANT OR LINES: Fruit juice Suppliers and Manufactures
conceptliquids

I could do this all day but you get the picture.

So it's a little unbelievable when I hear that MOST ejuice brands can't afford $120 per bottle to test a line of eliquids.
Most can.

The other reason I'm posting about this phenomena is because the FDA won't be putting mom n' pop out of business......they're being put out of biz by BIG VAPING.....it's gotten very sophisticated. Unless anybody here thinks somebody can make, label, store on palletes 5,000 bottles of eliquid a week. I mean maybe there are a few mom n' pops doing 50 bottles a day or something. In that case, they are already at a disadvantage, as they will be run over by the marketing techniques that is affordable to the big guys. You have to be able to reach customers and compete in this marketplace now.....not easy.

I'm sure there are some little vape shops that mix you up some ejuice, and they are happy to get 15 or 20 bottles out the door every day. But those are not the *brands* . The *brands* are big.
[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
In my day job, one of our product lines is sold to businesses who make children's products. So CPSIA laws apply to them, not to us. But we are asked all the time about lead content, so we looked into it.

CPSIA requirements changed dramatically a few years ago, and now these items must test at below 100ppm for lead. That's a pretty low level - so low in fact, that the margin of error seems to be wider. One company that got its products tested complained... "Eight different CPSC-firewalled laboratories found the samples’ lead content to range between less than 50 ppm to 262 ppm"

I would bet that you could have juice tested at 10 different labs, and get 10 very different results.

I'm just pointing out - again - this may not be as black-and-white or as easy as some may think.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Found a good list of juices that vapor shark tested for da/ap posted on Scribd by Russ Wishtart:

VaporShark E-Liquid Testing

It will make you download the app to get past page three. Not sure how it will react on a PC/MAC. Interesting to see my Schwartz - Downside and Kilo - Cereal Milk are on there with some disappointingly high #'s. You can really see the types of liquids that are "enhanced" by this crap.

Thanks @SmokeyJoe for the OP. My eyes have been opened to this and will be a consideration in juice selection moving forward (dependent, of course, on if the test results can be found available). Juice makers should be required to test their juices and post results directly on the bottle or packaging/leaflet insert. Give us the choice, as the article mentions, as it may just help the next smoker to Vaper transition.
Hopefully some of the really good flavors using da/ap could figure out a safer way to make while still providing the same tasty results.
Also surprised at the Clouds of Hope line from Space Jam. All of the liquids, I think, had da/ap or both in them. Supporting some great causes while trying to stay off the lung darts, unaware of the exposure to high levels of harmful chemicals. They better create a juice in the line that supports bronchiolitis obliterans, and make it da/ap free!

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
HOw many of those do you think there are, Aikanae1? This isn't 2010 or 2011.

A lot of the ejuice companies that you think are little guys, well, they aren't. They are being made in large factories where the MOQ is 10,000 bottles. Just like the big chinese companies.

These places put your name and label on, and customize your juice. It's called a "turnkey" operation.

Want to see one? There are many others. Oftentimes, that juice you think you are getting from a "little company" is being filled by places like California Vapor. With the "little vendor's" name on it. Some people here seem totally unaware of how the ejuice environment is nowadays.

(check out the production line and tell me what you see........)

e Liquid Filling - California Vapor

All you do is either give them your recipe, OR, you can use one of theirs. In other words, if you use one of theirs, chances are your juice will be "the same" as 20 other companies.....just with YOUR label and juice name and you can name it whatever the heck you want. :) If you've ordered enough ejuices in years and years, like I have, it is not one's imagination that some sorta taste the same. The chances are, it's because.........they are the same. :lol: Just with different names and labels. They even pack it out and ship for ya.

Call a few of these companies, MOQ is in the many thousands of bottles. Since vaping became big, Ejuice companies are not poor. Most all can afford a $120 test. :) And I've been saying that for a few years now.

Hey, this isn't a bad thing. It's nice to know things are being made in clean rooms and factory environments that look like hangsen in China, etc. But there are very few ejuice companies that are still "mom and pop" who can't afford $120 a bottle to test juiice. That's because people arent' mixing out in an add-on shed or in the backroom storage space.

Yes I am aware of the rebottling and rebranding industry. I wasn't aware that it was that widespread. If a local vape shop pulled a bottle off the shelf I'd say "BS" and walk away. Maybe I'm lucky but half the vape shops here do mix their own eliquids, in a back room. A couple do primarly eliquids and have a staff in a backroom mixing full time. If I want banana instead of coconut with my strawberry, I can get it. If I want 14mg instead of 12mg, I can get that too. Some feature employee mixes, sometimes customers come up with a mix they put on special. It's a sport. I must be living in a bubble to have at least 7-9 locations that do on-site, on-demand mixing in a town with less than 500k pop. I am not including a couple of eliquid manufacturers that mix at home and offer delivery (extremely popular locally).

Nearly every nic and bottle supplier is hooked up with a company that will assist in eliquid flavor development and production. Artwork, branding and marketing are add-ons. The number of eliquid companies is extreme, but the demand appears to support it.

I imagine a lot of those rebottled eliquids are the same ones that are continually on sale ($5.99 for 30ml or more). I think most premium juice manufacturers realize that people are always looking for a lower price "tastes like .... " to risk rebranding. But then the shopping mall kiosk selling ecigs wants $30 for a no-brand 650 ego.

Reactions: Bamrz

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
There's a chance that it's more than one fugitive element causing the problem and the solution is more like peeling the layers of an onion.

A common metaphor, but I don't look at this as a 'problem'. It may be for individual vapors and they should do what is necessary to handle their problem. As with anything else really.

The FDA won't do this.

They most certainly would.

I don't think testing is currently able to produce standardized repeatable results to the degree that he and others seem to expect.

If that is the case, not saying it is, but if it is, then they might not speak in terms of possibilities, likeliness, and least of all - in terms of 'should' - unless it is aimed at consumers as far as friendly advice.

This is an industry level problem which Dr. F did reveal.

His study doesn't show that - it was a rather small sample and targeted only certain flavors - by his own admission. I don't even think Dr. F would make such a statement - although there is no doubt other have and will. Unwarranted imo.

Reactions: KattMamma

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
A common metaphor, but I don't look at this as a 'problem'. It may be for individual vapors and they should do what is necessary to handle their problem. As with anything else really.

They most certainly would.

If that is the case, not saying it is, but if it is, then they might not speak in terms of possibilities, likeliness, and least of all - in terms of 'should' - unless it is aimed at consumers as far as friendly advice.

His study doesn't show that - it was a rather small sample and targeted only certain flavors - by his own admission. I don't even think Dr. F would make such a statement - although there is no doubt other have and will. Unwarranted imo.

I have reasons for making all those statements. There's been several discoveries where diketones "have been hiding" just within the last couple of years. It appears that certain nicotine extractions and filtering processes might be allowing precurssors of diacetyl through as well. Before that it was heat that made changes. There was a paper posted last week that the current replacement (starts with a B) might actually increase asorbtion rate of any diacetyl = no only not safer but may actually be worse. And then there's the debate over particles sizes, what sizes go where. Or the article in Medscape discussing if OB is accurately dx'd, how often and what changes are actually made in the lungs by diacetyl or is it something else (that's not even conclusive).

Then take a look at the example above about lead in children's clothing. The more specific a test is required can lead to more error. I ran into something like this with pcr testing with exotic birds many years ago. The testing processes were propietary and patented. The results were wildly different between labs and it was a mess until enough results were in, repeated, that the community could figure out which labs were able to be the most accurate at the level required (since it wasn't the norm). Although those examples aren't related, the fact that vapers are expecting more sensitive testing than the industry traditionally requires might be a factor.

Of course I don't know if that's what is going on. I think it's premature to point fingers at testing, lab, manufacturer, supplier and there could be a combination of things.

I think AEMSA should be involved because if there are standards that need to be established, they are the organization to do it.

The FDA does not do this stuff. There's tons of flavors already approved for inhilation, technically, because the FDA accepted tobacco industries word they were safe - specifically for inhilation. Vanilla, carmel and a host of others I found listed in the MSA archives, along with the listing of cigarette ingredients. A person would have to know the chemical compounds to fish them out of the list.

FEMA is used for food safe flavors, the FDA doesn't require them to "prove" anything. That's the way it's done, deflect to trade organizations to set standards. That's the way it should work with the vaping industry if the FDA treated this industry like others. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/me...-flavors-are-‘natural’/ar-BBkRngL?ocid=LENDHP

FEMA has recently updated their comments about flavoring industries working with ecig industry. GRAS does not mean safe to vape. I tried to hunt down their previous statement because I thought it was much more strongly worded and they implied they (FEMA) were the authority (a gov't agency). FEMA would send these letters out to flavoring manufacturers during the year and several eliquid companies have reported being dropped because of the FEMA letters.

Safety Assessment and Regulatory Authority to Use Flavors: Focus on E-Cigarettes | FEMA

BTW: I don't know if it means anything, but RJR is a FEMA member.

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
You mean it gets stronger right? It can't develope on it's own unless it's in there. Right? That is my understanding.

So we don't demand that the Flavor Companies (Of which there are a relative handful) actually be open and honest about what they are selling to Juice companies, instead we demand that each and every juice maker (Many Thousands) openly disclose their ingredients and have to have each and every flavor (50 to 100 per maker) independently tested? And this isn't a fools errand.?

To your first part, testing IS expensive and the consumer will certainly be the ones who would pay for it. To the second part, you sound like a shill for big tobacco. Only some big conglomerate should be mixing Juice because that would be safest way? You mean like they did for Cigarettes? That really kept tobacco free of harmful additives. If it weren't for "Mom and Pop" micro-breweries, Americans would still think that Budweiser is beer. You would throw these mom and pop shops under the bus because heck, it doesn't effect you. Well my mom and pop shop has been good to me and I personally don't want to see my juice made by R.J. Reynolds.
Yes and no it does get stronger as it steeps and yes it can develop on its own. If formulated properly it will not develop at all.
Diacetyl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Ma and Pa stores do sell great ejuice they may not have an idea whats happening after they mix and create multi flavored ejuices. Thats where it can develop on its own per se'; they mix two flavoring chemicals together and boom it starts to create diacetyl.. The two, three, or four original flavors did not have diacetyl but after combining they may/will ferment it..
It suxxs extremely, I am vaping some Ma and Pa vanilla rgt now, I know it has to have diacetyl in it, its hands down the best vanilla I have tried and I have tried nearly all of them. :drool: I hate it's reality and will act ignorant of it until i finish these two bottles :nun: lol...

Definitely takes a scientist to understand the what to's and what nots... Us whom DIY, we also have to be watchful as that combining flavors can start the diacetyl reaction.. I do trust TPA flavors as well as flavourart, NN and a few others that disclose whats in their juices and thank them for that disclosure. If you call TPA they are very welcoming to chat about their flavors and ingredients and may help with the what to mix and what not to....

Reactions: aikanae1

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
FEMA is used for food safe flavors, the FDA doesn't require them to "prove" anything. That's the way it's done, deflect to trade organizations to set standards.

Based on reading the article you linked to, the "secret group" (FEMA) who makes decisions on flavors, they don't seem at all accountable to consumers OR committed to transparency.

"The flavor industry’s system of self-policing helps it avoid government oversight, potentially saving companies significant amounts of time and money. In Europe, by contrast, companies must have their flavors and other ingredients reviewed for safety by an independent agency funded by the European Union.

The flavor industry makes its safety evaluations “behind closed doors” and then asks consumers to trust them, said Caroline Cox, research director for the Center for Environmental Health. “We just have enough experience with all kinds of toxic chemicals to know not to want to trust an evaluation if someone says, ‘Trust us, it’s all OK.’”

So, I guess I don't get why you have said (more than once now) that some similar trade organization should be making similar decisions for eliquids.

Although I do *get* your point about the FDA having a double standard, i.e. they "let" FEMA continue to do what it does, thereby avoiding regulation then they should let the ecig biz do the same.

However, I don't think I WANT an eliquid industry trade assoc. that operates like FEMA (Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association). They sure don't seem very ethical......more akin to the fox guarding the henhouse.

Last edited:
Reactions: aikanae1

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread