TC why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2014
New Mexico
I came here looking for answers on why temperature control would be something I should look into. I'm pretty happy with my setups right now, but I am always looking for something better. I'm a simple vaper for the most part, I don't rebuild much and when I do, they are just simple single coil builds on a Kayfun lite or something like that. And I like my tanks with replaceable coil heads. If I get a TC mod, do I HAVE to use coils that are made for TC? And if I don't want to rebuild, the premade coils are extra expensive? Is it worth it for someone like me?

Do you consider 20 cents USD a day really that expensive? Because my herakles temp control prebuilt coils cost about that, sometimes less. Thats assuming they last 2 weeks, which is the amount of time I have had them since there release. They could easily goto a month at this rate, and then it would be 5 cents a day. Prebuilt coils are cheap, buy then in 5 packs for tanks, especially with TC because they dont burn easily.

gliv52759

Dec 27, 2014
Hermitage, TN. USA
I vape on two Cthulhu tanks, running dual builds usually between 0.26-0.30 ohm. Usually somewhere between 35w-45w depending on what gauge wire and/or twisted I used in the build. I get great flavor, a nice warm vape, the Cthulhus wick great, and I never, ever get a dry hit. Throwing a new build in only takes a few minutes, and the custards I normally vape allow me to go as long as 2 weeks before a new build is necessary.

For me nickel is a pain to work with, I found the flavor not as good as I get with kanthal, and the vape wasn't as warm as I like. So I do not get it. I know a lot of you think TC is an evolutionary step forward in vaping. Why? What is it about TC you like? From where I sit it's all downside. Is there anyone else out there like me, who tried TC vaping and went back to kanthal? Just curious about these questions.

Sorry but I entered this thread pretty late in the game. Once I figured out TC it was a game changer for me. I'm a coil builder. I own Cthulhus and several other top name tanks. I've been using titanium for a few months now. This TC is the next level and it's not restricted to Ni200. I thought I was getting the best vapes of my life until I tried TC and the ability to build below .10 and control it. You haven't tasted flavor like I'm getting right now. You can be skeptical and miss out... but I'm telling you that you are leaving a lot of flavor in your tank.

Last edited:

gliv52759

Dec 27, 2014
Hermitage, TN. USA
I'm pretty happy with my setups right now, but I am always looking for something better

That's an oxymoron... If you want a better vape than TC is the next big thing. It certainly improved mine. Better vapor, better flavor and the ability to control it all even at low ohms. I vape titanium coils and it's the purest taste I ever had.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Nothing wrong with posting here..... Just don't be shocked when every issue you list points to user error yet blame the tech., that we will point out the faux pas.
You weren't arguing the merits for or against TC....I agree it's not for everybody (though I think it's where the future of vaping is headed). You were calling the tech. crap, based on clearly user errors.....ones that we all experienced out the gate. I had all sorts of trouble keeping my mod from dropping out of TC on a .15 ohm coil, but guess what? It was my error. What would look like an ocd worthy spaced coil would have a single wrap touching another on the bottom, or the legs would be shaped in a way that it would ohm out fine...till it expanded a little with heat and mess up the ohms reading....a good build will be a good build, resistance lock or not.
Long story short, TC works as advertised. With a good topper and a functioning tc mod, with a solid build, you set your temp, it stays there. Whether or not that temp is accurate to what is displayed is a place that needs improvement, but ultimately a minor concern......any VW user is well accustomed to ignoring the numbers and adjusting to taste.
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

This is pretty much what i have been saying all along. I was never denying that the tech works under ideal conditions. I am saying that with the current implementations there are too many factors that can cause it to go wrong and things that make it unpleasant to work with.

And while one is eliminating all these factors one by one (where possible) it is nothing short of a terrible vape that either regulates down too much, or pops out of TC and gives you a dry hit.
Yes, i've had working TC builds. Did they give a better vape than regular builds? For me personally, no.

I am sure that if you were prone to one or more of the issues that TC solves, it can be a great thing and i accept that opinion, but at the same time you should accept that to someone that is happy with their vape it may be a cumbersome gimmick.

Reactions: Azarias

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'll describe myself as a TC skeptic but I haven't tried it yet. I wanted a regulated mod with a single replacable battery. It's in the mail and happens to have TC on board. There was no premium price for the TC feature. I'll use the mod in kanthal mode and will eventually get some nickel wire and try TC. If it isn't for me I've still got the mod I wanted.

Even if TC is wonderful I'm going to be comfortable vaping on all the various types of power supplies. The next mod will be mechanical. I think it's important to learn to use them all. In the long run, I've got a hobby lathe, a good drill press and various tooling. I intend to make some simple 22 mm drippers. If I get to that it should be fun for show and tell.

ddarlington24

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2013
usa
I was so intently on seeing this thread thinking okay what a great discussion about Tc maybe some pointers being handed down.

But the whole mood was like if you're a TC believer your such a fool i don't even get the point of this thread. If you're not into Tc that's completely fine with me you don't have to be not everybody vapes the same. To me this was a weak attempt to throw anybody who uses Tc under the bus seriously then if you dislike it that much Don't use it and then go through all the effort to make the thread for something that is so irritating for you to use on the assumption it must be the technology that is flawed/mod/device

Many of us Tc users still getting used to the behaviors of this technology its still very early in its implementation on these devices but with that said is it comparable to kanthal yes & no. Flavor yes , sure i will agree its not really the same . Is there a learning curve yes not really all that different from the the first time we all started building with kanthal.

Do i prefer Tc over kanthal yeah less work for me be able to go without the necessary rebuild sessions on my kanthal tanks

Do i still vape kanthal yup got a few mechs that I vape regularly 80/vg

Reactions: jmercury1

mc8

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Slovenia
Still can't see a single reason for going back to kanthal. And don't understand how the flavor is supposed to be better with it? I can adjust the tone of my flavor with tc.
I don't consider myself an expert builder, but haven't had a single problem building with ni or ti. The only "problem" i have is that I'm not used to not messing around with my attys everyday. It works the same every time i pick it up. I used to give the stupid look at the device few times a day, when the vape wasn't perfect..i kinda miss that [emoji14]

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6033X using Tapatalk

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
ok the tempered Ni is much easier to work with. Put a stable .2 ohm build in my Royal Hunter on the first try and vaped it for half a day. At 580 degrees I got something that resembled vaping, but it's still too cool for my tastes. I started at 30w and noted that if I chain vaped it would hit temp protection, so I backed it down to 25w and that seemed to work well with the build. I also feel that the flavor is not good with nickel compared to kanthal. I felt that there was a definite flavor coloration from the coil material that I do not detect with kanthal. Oddly, despite my above opinions I found the vapor production with this nickel build to be excellent.

That is my $.02. TC is not for me. I will continue to play with it on occasion, but I like a hotter vape than TC offers and for me the flavor is superior with kanthal. Dry hits aren't an issue for me and I have no concern over the potential toxicity of vaping at warmer temps, so for me TC offers no benefit that would make me accept what I feel are shortcomings. This is my opinion and I am sure that many will disagree, but for those of you that feel as I do, you're not alone and it's ok not to jump on the TC bandwagon. TC is not a mandatory path in the evolution of vaping.

Reactions: daviedog

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
At 580 degrees I got something that resembled vaping,

Yea...TC is not for you! Wow. 450 is my max, but I vape as an alternative to smoking and I guess I have never really blown big clouds. I am still using mega strength nic though (started at 36mg and down to 28mg), so to each their own.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
Nope. 3mg here. Currently TS vaping on a VS rDNA40 with an Erlkonigin using a single coil of 0.5mm (~24g) Ti wire at a cold start of .19 ohms, 20w and 330F (which is adjusted for the difference in temp coefficient between Ni and Ti). Pretty dern tasty, with copious clouds ta boot.

Ti tastes better than Ni in my experience for sure.

mc8

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Slovenia
Wife and I were on a pack a day of full strength stuff...had to mix our own 36mg to make the jump (especially with the morning coffee or the evening beverage). She has gotten down to 20 but I am lagging.
Wow, is that lung hitting?? Last time i tried 12mg from a friend, i thought my lung are gonna explode. I'm at 3mg and 420-460 degrees, blowing clouds that I'm ashamed of if indoors. Clouds up the room pretty quick.

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
Ya know TC is great. I had built a couple of DNA 40's for me and some friends. Got through the learning curve and was getting a great vape from my builds. Got an IPV4 black and liked it as well as my DNA. My issue is that the technology is evolving and it's picking up speed. I sold my TC mods because of that reason. Who knows what's coming next I know there'll be alot of new advancements to come. I'd love a DNA 200 the whole concept appeals to my tech side but I have to wait. No more first runs of anything for me. I'm happy for now with my Sig. 150 and a couple of atties while I watch what comes next.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
you bring up a good point, perhaps a higher nic ratio would make me feel differently about TC

I'm down to 2mg the way I vape. Do those of you using TC vape in the 6-12 mg range?

I've just recently dropped from 6 to 3mg and am satisfied in that regard with TC and power mode. If you're not getting the hit you're use to going up in mg might help but it sounds like more of a band aid solution to me.

If you decide to play with it again I can only tell you what after trial and error works for me. Per you're previous post chain vaping hit tp quicker than normal. I don't know what diameter coil that was but I've found with NI200 I get better results with bigger diameter spaced coils. Using 28ga usually 3mm id, sometimes 2.5 if I can't fit a 3mm build and never below 2.5mm. 3mm wicks great for me but if you're into higher power and more warmth you might even try 3.5 or larger.

Also give a shot to building lower. I've tried building ohms all over the map and the low .1 ohm range seems to work best for me, I try to build in the .1 to .14 range which gives me some room to play. Hopefully those two things will give you more room play and bump the wattage up once you've found your desired temp which will help with the warmth you're missing.

Ultimately I'm not a proponent of anything except staying off cigs. Whether that be with cotton, silica, kanthal, nickel, etc. Try it and if you don't like it go back to what works for you with a smile on your face.

Last edited:

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
ok the tempered Ni is much easier to work with. Put a stable .2 ohm build in my Royal Hunter on the first try and vaped it for half a day. At 580 degrees I got something that resembled vaping, but it's still too cool for my tastes. I started at 30w and noted that if I chain vaped it would hit temp protection, so I backed it down to 25w and that seemed to work well with the build. I also feel that the flavor is not good with nickel compared to kanthal. I felt that there was a definite flavor coloration from the coil material that I do not detect with kanthal. Oddly, despite my above opinions I found the vapor production with this nickel build to be excellent.

That is my $.02. TC is not for me. I will continue to play with it on occasion, but I like a hotter vape than TC offers and for me the flavor is superior with kanthal. Dry hits aren't an issue for me and I have no concern over the potential toxicity of vaping at warmer temps, so for me TC offers no benefit that would make me accept what I feel are shortcomings. This is my opinion and I am sure that many will disagree, but for those of you that feel as I do, you're not alone and it's ok not to jump on the TC bandwagon. TC is not a mandatory path in the evolution of vaping.
Have you thought about trying titanium wire? Make sure it's grade 1.
If your mod doesn't have a Ti mode, that might be beneficial to you, because on titanium the actual temp will be higher then the displayed one

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Have you thought about trying titanium wire? Make sure it's grade 1.
If your mod doesn't have a Ti mode, that might be beneficial to you, because on titanium the actual temp will be higher then the displayed one

I posted this on the First Day of this Thread.

Before you Pass completely judgment on TC, have you tried using Titanium Grade 1 Wire?

I had Very Inconsistent results using Ni200. Wasn't sure if it was my Mod, my Build, my RTA, or a Combination of a little of All of them. But I Wasn't Happy.

Then I tied using Titanium Grade 1 Wire. Everything settled down. And I was able to see what TC could do.

Don't think I ever got a Reply.

Reactions: USMCotaku
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread