Goliath V2 and other question...please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superkyle1721

Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Starkville
Hey guys I need some advice/help. I've been vaping and building my own could for a little over a year so I understand the principle and safety measurements that need to be taken. I am looking at ordering the new Goliath V2. Everything I've read seems to fix my complaints about the V1 ( I personally don't own one but I have tried it out for a couple days). I want this to be my last purchase for a while and I was wondering how the community felt about this RTa vs other such as the billow V2 and sub tank plus etc. I've really gotten into sub ohm lately on my skeleton key clone and stingray x clone. Other than the advice on the tanks my next question is in regard to my confusion on the coil types. I currently use 3 wraps of 24awg A1 kanthal to bring down the ohms to around .45. I was looking for a way to bring down the ohms but also be able to increase the surface area to vape. I started to try twisted coils but the subtank plus post would not hold the large gauge. I couldn't even get it to hold 26 awg twisted. In my research I noticed people are reverting back to nichrome wire and also using nickel. Since I am using only mech mods I know I have no use for the nickel but the nichrome wire on the other hand seems like it will allow for another wrap or two and still output the same resistance. Is this stuff as easy to work with as kanthal?
I apologize for all of the questions (and super long post) it seems the more I read the more I get confused so I figured I would ask for help. Hopefully this thread will help me and others on the same boat.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
The sub tank is a great tank but maybe not the best choice for what you want to do with it. The Goliath v2 is too new for me to know anything about it. I just got a Goliath v1 on Friday and I think it has everything I really want in a tank.

Nichrome has less resistance per unit of length so it's a better choice if you want to use more wire per Ohm. I switched to nickel but used to use only nichrome. Nichrome is the same to work with as Kanthal.

Reactions: Superkyle1721

Superkyle1721

Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Starkville
@Mad Scientist Thanks for the response. I realize that the V2 hasn't been released so it's hard to establish a strong opinion of an RTA until you have it in hand so it's good to hear others like the V1 as much as I did. I really like the sub tank. It puts out great flavor and large clouds despite what I have read from others.

May I ask why you use nickel? I've considered it due to the extremely low resistance. It would allow me to build proper sized coils( ie 7-8 wraps at 2mm) and keep the same resistance of around .5 ohms but I have read it is mainly for temperature control devices and shouldn't be used for mech mods. Is this true? This would really only help with the sub tank though as once I get the Goliath V2 I will be running parallels and reducing the resistance won't be an issue there.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I'm fairly certain you can only use nickel with a tc regulated mod. I can't remember the exact reason though. You can use titanium on a mech, but it tends to change resistance as it heats and cools, which is why its not a popular thing to do.

You want more than 3 wraps per coil though. Are you using very large diameter coils? I ask because 7 wraps of 26g on duals gives me 0.4 ohm on a 2.4mm diameter. I would expect that same build with 24g to be under 0.3 ohms.

Superkyle1721

Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Starkville
Honestly I've been using the tiny screw driver the sub tank ships with. It seems as though they are fairly small. My guess is no more than 2.5mm though...but remember I am only running single coils on the subtank since I could not get the post to properly accept twisted. Basically I've been running single 3-4 wrap plain coils since I needed the larger gauge to lower the resistance the small post screw keeps me very limited.

Edit. Also as far as nickel that's what I have read but I'm not really sure why it wouldn't work for any mod...I'm considering going with the nichrome 80 for my next build which should help some with the wraps.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
@Mad Scientist Thanks for the response. I realize that the V2 hasn't been released so it's hard to establish a strong opinion of an RTA until you have it in hand so it's good to hear others like the V1 as much as I did. I really like the sub tank. It puts out great flavor and large clouds despite what I have read from others.

May I ask why you use nickel? I've considered it due to the extremely low resistance. It would allow me to build proper sized coils( ie 7-8 wraps at 2mm) and keep the same resistance of around .5 ohms but I have read it is mainly for temperature control devices and shouldn't be used for mech mods. Is this true? This would really only help with the sub tank though as once I get the Goliath V2 I will be running parallels and reducing the resistance won't be an issue there.

I've completely switched to TC and I'm comfortable working with pure nickel so I only use pure nickel right now. You definitely won't get 0.5 Ohms with 7 or 8 wraps of nickel with 2 mm diameter coils unless you use an extremely fine wire. It is true, nickel is very soft and has a very low resistance per unit of length and is really only worth using for TC. It has one of the highest TCR of commonly available metals so it's really best suited for TC.

For a mech build on a dual coil, I'd likely use Kanthal. The extra resistance would actually be desirable over nichrome.

sacullen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Chicago, IL, USA
How are you measuring resistance? Unless I misunderstand, to get a single coil resistance of 0.45 ohms using 3 wraps of 24ga kanthal would require a coil with a 5mm diameter. Also, why are you against building higher? Is there something about the Subtank that makes lower builds that much better? I've never used one and haven't ever looked into them.

As far as tanks go, I was very happy with the Goliath. My only real complaints were the size and capacity relative to size. It's such a great performer that I don't even think about them, though. My Goblin has been collecting dust for a little while.

I really think UD has stepped to the plate lately. I decided to give the Zephyrus a try because I like the Goblin and Goliath so much and I found it at a good price. I was really glad I did, and now even more so because the Goliath V2 takes Zephyrus coils. This provides a lot of flexibility.

Needless to say, I preordered a V2 as soon as I could and I anxiously await its arrival.

Superkyle1721

Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Starkville
@sacullen I measure my resistance using a $40 multimeter. It does in fact have some error but overall not enough to make that large of a difference. I'm also measuring it from the base of the tank so I guess the resistance that the battery sees give or take. I am open to any advice on this of course if I am doing anything wrong.

I'm not against higher ohm builds at all. I have found that lower ohms in the .5 range to produce a better vape experience for me on the subtank. I started with 6-7 wraps and the ramp up time was pretty long and vapor production was very weak. Even using the supplied 1.2 ohm coils didn't impress me. I do really like the 0.5 ohm coils however the build quality is actually really nice. Most likely it's all just preference but from what I have read it seems fairly common for most users to stay in the 0.5-0.8 range.

I was able to try the Goliath and also was very impressed. The small tank was one of my major complaints and why I just stuck with the sub tank but now with the V2 it seems like it is everything I want.

If you don't mind me asking where did you order your V2? I was looking around and seems the only real place (without paying an extra $10-$15) is gear best. I don't mind ordering from them but I also don't want to wait a month after release to get it...call me inpatient haha.

sacullen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Chicago, IL, USA
I threw together a quick 4/3 coil and it was 0.33 ohms. Are you subtracting the resistance of your multimeter's leads when you measure resistance? A sloppy 3/2 came in at 0.26. You're still within the capabilities of a good 20A battery, but I'm a fan of reliable readings. *EDIT* Forgot to mention that the blue screwdrivers are 2mm.

I feel your pain when it comes to ramp up time with 24ga. I don't even bother using it on mechs anymore. The beauty of my 150W Sigelei is making large coils with thick wire and just cranking up the wattage.

I ordered my V2 from Gearbest lol. Their coupon code gave a good price and I don't mind the wait because of all t. If it gets released towards the end of the month I'll be out of town anyways.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Superkyle1721

Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Starkville
No I was not subtracting the difference from the resistance of the leads. I will say that when I do measure a known resistor it is pretty dead on. I have a few high accuracy resistors and the 1 ohm reads .99 ohms-1 every time. Maybe the multimeter is set to compensate for the resistance initially? Anyways I purchased a set of VTC5 from orbtronic so I should be good as far as what the battery can handle. I use to only like regulated mods and spent a ton keeping up with the latest stuff. The last mod I purchased was an evic supreme and that piece of garbage lasted me all of 3 months before it failed. Honestly I haven't had the best of luck with regulated mods so I switched over to mech mods due to the simplicity and when I want it to fire it fires. I have had the itch to try a DNA40 mod or the new high power mods but the beauty I find in the simplicity of the mech mods makes me stay haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread