Do ecigs damage the heart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoltoCraft

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
United Kingdom
I find myself vaping 24/7 on around 18mg of nicotine, and I haven't had a cigarette for about 6 months now!

I was doing some research on if Ecigs do damage to the heart, but half the links I see say that it doesn't and the other half says it does?!?

Links saying it does damage:
E-Cigarettes: Tobacco-Free, But Your Heart May Still Be at Risk — Health Hub from Cleveland Clinic
Scientist Raises a Red Flag About E-Cigarettes and Heart Attack Risk

Links saying does no damage at all:
E-Cigarettes Don't Harm Heart, Study Shows
A new study from an e-cig expert confirms: no heart effects from vaping - American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)

(There are more links on this, but there is no point in getting them all)

So... Does it do damage or not, the studies that say it does damage seem to be a lot more recent, so has the claim that it doesn't do damage been dis-proven?!?

p.s. It can't be worse than cigarettes but I am wondering what the truth of this is?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I find myself vaping 24/7 on around 18mg of nicotine, and I haven't had a cigarette for about 6 months now!

I was doing some research on if Ecigs do damage to the heart, but half the links I see say that it doesn't and the other half says it does?!?

Links saying it does damage:
E-Cigarettes: Tobacco-Free, But Your Heart May Still Be at Risk — Health Hub from Cleveland Clinic
Scientist Raises a Red Flag About E-Cigarettes and Heart Attack Risk

Links saying does no damage at all:
E-Cigarettes Don't Harm Heart, Study Shows
A new study from an e-cig expert confirms: no heart effects from vaping - American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)

(There are more links on this, but there is no point in getting them all)

So... Does it do damage or not, the studies that say it does damage seem to be a lot more recent, so has the claim that it doesn't do damage been dis-proven?!?

p.s. It can't be worse than cigarettes but I am wondering what the truth of this is?

If you smoke, you get nicotine PLUS the tar and other carcinogens. If you vape, you may get nicotine.

Following the links from your first linked study, if you expose heart tissue directly to nicotine for a six hour period, it starts to do damage. Now, I'm not a biologist, but, that doesn't seem like a real world scenario to me.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I'm sorta hoping it *does* still damage the heart, though *in my heart* (hah) I know that's a load of malarkey -- there's no CO in vapor! But I would sooooooooo much rather drop dead of a heart attack than waste away by millimeters with lung cancer.

While it's true that we don't yet know the *long-term* effects of vaping, we do know a lot about the short and medium term effects, and the truth, basically, is that if you see something in the media that has anything bad to say about vaping, you can bet it's a load of manufactured and paid-for bull manure. The fact that we are quitting smoking in record numbers is exposing to full daylight the financial malfeasance of all those who have gambled against smokers by making bonds and taking loans against the MSA payments, which now do not meet the requirements of those bonds and loans.

All they can do is whine about the mythological "dangers" of e-cigs, when in fact the only real danger is to the bottom-lines of smoker haters, who have made their bread and butter for years telling us to quit smoking -- well, now we are doing that, OUR way, and they just can't stand that soon their jobs will be pointless.

Andria

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
If you smoke, you get nicotine PLUS the tar and other carcinogens. If you vape, you may get nicotine.

Following the links from your first linked study, if you expose heart tissue directly to nicotine for a six hour period, it starts to do damage. Now, I'm not a biologist, but, that doesn't seem like a real world scenario to me.
Darn. There goes my idea of injecting nicotine into my heart, Pulp Fiction style.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Nicotine is not good for people with preexisting cardiovascular conditions.

Probably true... but smoking cigarettes is even worse! By a factor of.. what...? 1000?

Andria

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Nicotine is not good for people with preexisting cardiovascular conditions.

Probably true... but smoking cigarettes is even worse! By a factor of.. what...? 1000?

Andria

True, ANY vasoconstrictor is a risk for someone with, well, a variety of diseases. Given the elevated risk that smoking brings, I'd say that vaping is the better choice, although abstinence would be the safest bet.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
OP was not asking about smoking.

I know... but it just gets on my last nerve. People tell me often "if you have asthma, you shouldn't vape." :shock: I suppose they think SMOKING is better????

The fact is, if you are a smoker who wants to quit, vaping is the best and easiest way to do it. Don't worry about how "dangerous" it is, because I guarantee you, smoking is LOTS!!!!!!!!!! more dangerous.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I'm surprised. It felt like a rant, and I expected to find 10 people jumping up and down and telling me to calm down and vape some higher nic. :lol:

But I used to get that crap all the time: "Asthmatics shouldn't smoke." Well, no (excrement) Sherlock, and I SHOULD be rich, but I ain't, so, Captain Obvious, got any tips for how I can get to be a non-smoker? Because that pharma crap doesn't work.

Now, miracle of miracles, e-cigs have come along and relieved me of that lethal habit... and now I get to hear "Asthmatics shouldn't vape." Makes me wanna grab a baseball bat, I tell ya.

:evil:
Andria

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

~~Snip~~

I'm not a doctor.

Nicotine and caffeine are both vasoconstrictors. People who have heart conditions and are sensitive to these substances should avoid them or use them with caution. I mostly vape zero nic juices, which is what I would advise people who should not intake vasoconsticting substances to do.

Other than that, there is nothing in vapor that I know of that could harm the heart.

Reactions: DC2

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm surprised. It felt like a rant, and I expected to find 10 people jumping up and down and telling me to calm down and vape some higher nic. :lol:

But I used to get that crap all the time: "Asthmatics shouldn't smoke." Well, no (excrement) Sherlock, and I SHOULD be rich, but I ain't, so, Captain Obvious, got any tips for how I can get to be a non-smoker? Because that pharma crap doesn't work.

Now, miracle of miracles, e-cigs have come along and relieved me of that lethal habit... and now I get to hear "Asthmatics shouldn't vape." Makes me wanna grab a baseball bat, I tell ya.

:evil:

I hear ya and I agree with you Andria ;). The middle part above made me LOL, thanks, good one :thumb:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I'm not a doctor.

Nicotine and caffeine are both vasoconstrictors. People who have heart conditions and are sensitive to these substances should avoid them or use them with caution. I mostly vape zero nic juices, which is what I would advise people who should not intake vasoconsticting substances to do.

Other than that, there is nothing in vapor that I know of that could harm the heart.

and alcohol is a vasodialator... have a beer with your vape :)

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Heart damage from vaping is just more made up anti-vaping propaganda put out by those who have lost sales and taxes on at least 2 billion packs of smokes by now. They have also claimed vaping contributes to global warming, which is also a giant fraud. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread