Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
alien Traveler" data-source="post: 16072386" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
alien Traveler said:
Nothing scientific, just personal experience and gut feeling. Dark bottles with poly cone caps are really air-tight and can store chemical nicely. No worries with temperature changes.

If poly cone caps are that good, then how come liquid eventually seeps out when I shake my bottles vigorously. It does not happen right away, but after a week or so of letting the bottle rest, I see liquid has seeped into the threads and down the side. Of course that is to be expected from a bottle that has been closed and opened repeatedly - but not a freshly mixed bottle.

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
If poly cone caps are that good, then how come liquid eventually seeps out when I shake my bottles vigorously. It does not happen right away, but after a week or so of letting the bottle rest, I see liquid has seeped into the threads and down the side. I am not referring to a bottle that has been closed and opened repeatedly - just a freshly mixed bottle.
Something is very wrong with your bottles/cups.
You may want to tell us where did you get them, so we can avoid buying from the same place.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
If poly cone caps are that good, then how come liquid eventually seeps out when I shake my bottles vigorously. It does not happen right away, but after a week or so of letting the bottle rest, I see liquid has seeped into the threads and down the side. Of course that is to be expected from a bottle that has been closed and opened repeatedly - but not a freshly mixed bottle.

Are these standard dropper bottles with the little plastic dropper insert in the bottle? If so, I think I have a guess as to why that happens.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Are these standard dropper bottles with the little plastic dropper insert in the bottle? If so, I think I have a guess as to why that happens.

It happens more often with poly cone caps rather than with rubber insulated droppers. Like I already said, that would be normal with repeated use. It happens less with a freshly mixed bottle left alone. it does happen none the same.

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I certainly enjoy the debate over sealed, not sealed, temperature change but what the OP is asking is will it be OK for a week or so until they get there new freezer. I will freeze and unfreeze my 120ml working NIC several times during it's working life which is usually 3 months. I have found no issues at all so for a week or so you will be fine so don't worry to much about it.
Exactly what danny said. Dont sweat it!

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
It happens more often with poly cone caps rather than with rubber insulated droppers. Like I already said, that would be normal with repeated use. It happens less with a freshly mixed bottle left alone. it does happen none the same.
Do not know if you have to blame a supplier...
I have a lot of chemicals closed with these caps. Sometimes they could be knocked on their side and left in storage for months. Never saw them leaking - and I have bottles with very thin and volatile liquids - alcohol, acetone, and especially HMDS. These liquid are like a crash test for stoppers.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The nic I have in the freezer is all in 120ml bottles. One bottle is 3-4 months worth. I haven't used any of the nic I have in cold storage yet, but if I ever do, the plan is to let one bottle come to room temperature, mix it down to a vapable concentration of unflavored, and store that at room temperature in a dark place, again in 120ml bottles. I've done this with fresh (never "frozen") nic and noticed little or no degradation over a period of 6 months or more; no color change and no perceptible increase in odor.

If I had larger bottles in the freezer, I would probably let one come to room temperature, shake/mix it thoroughly, repackage it in 120ml bottles, and put all but one of them back in the freezer.

Now the catch with my method of making large batches of vapable unflavored is that it doesn't account for further dilution with flavors when those get added. Since I typically don't use more than 5-6% flavoring, I really don't care. If I were adding 20% or more like some people do, I'd make my vapeable unflavored strong enough to account for that.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
The nic I have in the freezer is all in 120ml bottles. One bottle is 3-4 months worth. I haven't used any of the nic I have in cold storage yet, but if I ever do, the plan is to let one bottle come to room temperature, mix it down to a vapable concentration of unflavored, and store that at room temperature in a dark place, again in 120ml bottles. I've done this with fresh (never "frozen") nic and noticed little or no degradation over a period of 6 months or more; no color change and no perceptible increase in odor.

If I had larger bottles in the freezer, I would probably let one come to room temperature, shake/mix it thoroughly, repackage it in 120ml bottles, and put all but one of them back in the freezer.

Now the catch with my method of making large batches of vapable unflavored is that it doesn't account for further dilution with flavors when those get added. Since I typically don't use more than 5-6% flavoring, I really don't care. If I were adding 20% or more like some people do, I'd make my vapeable unflavored strong enough to account for that.
I do in exactly the same way, with exception that my flavorings are in 1-3% range. I bring bottles to room temperature because a) to make liquid not as thick and b) do not let water to condense on insides of a bottle. At work I need sometimes to mix special epoxy (4 components) for which water is a poison: it will not harden even with small amount of water in it. I had run in that problem couple times when I did not let bottles to warm fully.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Silly question from a noob to and new to vape and DIY...if you keep your Nic in freezer....when you get ready to make a new batch of liquid do you have to let the Nic warm up to room temp? And do you just take out from your freezer bottle enough Nic to make your batch and put it into another container for your mixing.

If it's PG I use it straight from the freezer if it's VG I let it warm enough to make it easier to use but if you can easly work with VG straight from the freezer there's nothing wrong with that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread