Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Finally got around to putting the subohm kit in the V4. I now wish I had done it earlier, it breathes a lot better. I like a free draw, and my big problem with all Kayfuns is tight air. This one is a huge improvement. I note they got smart-- at least on mine-- and didn't even bother to thread the new air post of the "airflow adjustment screw." I had, of course, already taken it out of the old post completely to free the draw as much as possible, but it's good to see somebody was thinking about it. The new post does not make the tank breathe quite as freely as my Fogger V6, and it isn't a patch on a Lemo2, but it's now good enough I'm willing to put the tank in the rotation and vape it regularly. I have it currently built with twisted 24ga Kanthal on a 3.5mm rod to .36, wicked with rayon. I don't like it much, though, I think that build is too low for the airflow. I liked it better, even with the tighter airflow, when I had it built at .5 to .6.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I have a K4 with the S kit installed and the draw is still very tight compared to most other tanks. I still like it a lot for its looks and for the elegance of the engineering that went into it. I still use it every morning for that "with the coffee vape" and the tighter draw is just perfect for that purpose for me.

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Meh I barely use mine. Bought a bunch of things like the various kits including the 4s/springless update for nickel builds, but this thing will never be a sub ohm tank for one reason only. It can't wick when you open the airflow that much. The vaccum created when you have a really tight draw sucks the juice through those stupidly small chimney holes, and then have to go under those little holes on the build deck. A double obstacle that get ridiculous especially when you try 70/30 and thicker VG blends. The flavor also is muted compared to other tanks because the chimney that goes over the build deck is large and doesn't reduce the chamber enough to create that dense wet warm vape. I mean you can get it if you build low enough, but then enjoy the burnt 2nd or third hit.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Meh I barely use mine. Bought a bunch of things like the various kits including the 4s/springless update for nickel builds, but this thing will never be a sub ohm tank for one reason only. It can't wick when you open the airflow that much. The vaccum created when you have a really tight draw sucks the juice through those stupidly small chimney holes, and then have to go under those little holes on the build deck. A double obstacle that get ridiculous especially when you try 70/30 and thicker VG blends. The flavor also is muted compared to other tanks because the chimney that goes over the build deck is large and doesn't reduce the chamber enough to create that dense wet warm vape. I mean you can get it if you build low enough, but then enjoy the burnt 2nd or third hit.

You are spot on. I even drilled out the juice holes on my tobeco v4 clone as large as I dared but wicking thick juice remains limited to around 25 Watts max. The S kit helps a bit with getting more power to work but the combo of limited airflow and small juice holes relegates it to being a well engineered antique. Still use it every morning though.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thank goodness someone sees this.

I have yet to find a Kayfun that wicks well past 15 watts. Good thing I'm not a cloud blower or a lung hitter. I'm just trying to recreate the draw on a filter cigarette. KF3 is just about right. The KF4 is a little loose for me, but has a little better flavor.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I went back to my EHPro KF3 to use for a week at Disney/Universal. It's easier to fill in the field just because of the screw hole that fits my thin spout juice bottles. BTW, No one at Disney, Universal, or Epcot said a word to me about public vaping in the 6 days we were there. I don't blow clouds, but it was obvious there was vapor involved when I vaped.

After vaping the K3 for a while, I vaped the K4 when I got back. It still felt way too loose. I'm still vaping the K3 right now.

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Only problem with that (using the screw to adjust airflow) the path in which air is uptaken, causes insane turbulence that translates to noise. The condensation that occurs also goes through and reaches where the screw is, and everyday you get a new annoying as all hell sound of slurping/squishing/whistling/howling/jet streaming/etc...

I cannot stand that. That's why I use the 4s kit, but the airflow for that is greater than the heat buildup when firing, and if you dry to fire it at higher power, the damn wicking can't keep up. Like what a headache. I think I'm going to either drill this thing or trash it. I can forgive everything except a tank that can't wick.
I have yet to find a Kayfun that wicks well past 15 watts. Good thing I'm not a cloud blower or a lung hitter. I'm just trying to recreate the draw on a filter cigarette. KF3 is just about right. The KF4 is a little loose for me, but has a little better flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread