Status
Not open for further replies.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
Tobacco use drops in Alaska as e-cigarettes surge - TimesDaily: State

Alaska officials say e-cigarettes may be responsible for last year's larger-than-normal drop in tobacco revenue.

State officials say a lack of tax data makes e-cigarette use hard to track.

The vapor contains nicotine and the liquid may or may not contain tobacco. Because it's not clear which products use tobacco, e-cigarettes are not taxable under current law.

Overall a positive message that smoking rates have dropped in Alaska. The state knows this because tobacco TAX revenue is down. They think that e-cigs are the cause but since they are not taxed as tobacco products... They just don't know... I can see it now, in order for the government to know if at a population basis if e-cigs help people to stop smoking they need to count the tax dollars from e-cigs.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Tobacco use drops in Alaska as e-cigarettes surge - TimesDaily: State

Overall a positive message that smoking rates have dropped in Alaska. The state knows this because tobacco TAX revenue is down. They think that e-cigs are the cause but since they are not taxed as tobacco products... They just don't know... I can see it now, in order for the government to know if at a population basis if e-cigs help people to stop smoking they need to count the tax dollars from e-cigs.

I think they'd have to give a reason for an excise tax other than for tracking. Sounds like they don't have the stomach for taxing. I hope, anyway.

The article says:
E-liquid company Moose Knuckle sells vapor flavors like strawberry cheesecake and crispy crack doughnuts. Co-owner Kevin Collins says he only uses nicotine derived from eggplant.

"We buy from a U.S. company that processes the eggplants," said Collins

Is it possible for those involved to profit from eggplant nicotine? Has someone found a way to? I wonder what the nicotine tastes like. Sounds yummy and ANTZ resistant.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
If it (getting nic from other sources) ever happened on a wide basis, the FDA would simply change their wording from 'nicotine derived from tobacco' to just 'nicotine'. Any normally pro-regulation type person should know this innately. Some act like Zeller would 'slap his forehead' in total disbelief and defeat! :facepalm:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
If it (getting nic from other sources) ever happened on a wide basis, the FDA would simply change their wording from 'nicotine derived from tobacco' to just 'nicotine'. Any normally pro-regulation type person should know this innately. Some act like Zeller would 'slap his forehead' in total disbelief and defeat! :facepalm:
It would throw a wrench into the "tobacco product" designation, but you're right, it's not ANTZ proof, just resistant. Helpful, but not game changing.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Professional, if they represent or own a business...

me_1482.gif

Reactions: EBates

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA

He kind of did this in his press conference after the proposed deeming regulations were announced. The question came up about nicotine from another source and he stated that the FDA would have no control over it if it was not derived from tobacco. You have to remember that Judge Leon and the appeals court smacked them down on nicotine as a drug. They would have to change the law and write all new regulations, all of which takes time and that is their enemy as the number of people quitting smoking with e-cigarettes just keeps climbing rapidly. That translates into more voters that would not be happy with those who would do so. Since I joined CASSA in 2011 its membership has gone from the 6-8000 range to over 60,000 today that gives us an idea of the number of people who are at least watching the ANTZ and care enough to join a consumer organization dedicated to having THR available for all and that is just one of the groups that can get information out to people who are more inclined to take action than your average voter.

The ANTZ do not want even a hint that someone has found another source or a reasonably priced synthetic nicotine on the open market.

:2c:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It would throw a wrench into the "tobacco product" designation, but you're right, it's not ANTZ proof, just resistant. Helpful, but not game changing.

Some people like the 'irony' and presumed hypocrisy that goes with it - it really excites them and helps make them look superior, but really, it is small minds that make a life of it. For the FDA, it amounts to a pesky mosquito.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
He kind of did this in his press conference after the proposed deeming regulations were announced. The question came up about nicotine from another source and he stated that the FDA would have no control over it if it was not derived from tobacco. You have to remember that Judge Leon and the appeals court smacked them down on nicotine as a drug. They would have to change the law and write all new regulations, all of which takes time and that is their enemy as the number of people quitting smoking with e-cigarettes just keeps climbing rapidly. That translates into more voters that would not be happy with those who would do so. Since I joined CASSA in 2011 its membership has gone from the 6-8000 range to over 60,000 today that gives us an idea of the number of people who are at least watching the ANTZ and care enough to join a consumer organization dedicated to having THR available for all and that is just one of the groups that can get information out to people who are more inclined to take action than your average voter.

The ANTZ do not want even a hint that someone has found another source or a reasonably priced synthetic nicotine on the open market.

:2c:

While I agree with much of this - as things happened - it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility that new legislation would/could change the wording - although those who so worded it, are now losing numbers, but that doesn't mean there won't be a time when they are in the majority again, and pick up that particular ball (and many others). You're right about Zeller - he knows well (after Sottero) he has to follow the law, but wouldn't flinch at accepting a wording that allowed another new wording of nicotine.

I'm not so sure on the effect of the number of vapers making it harder to pass laws and regulation. I offer the Clinton gun ban as an example. There was a lot of resistance to that at the time with the public but not in Congress. (a reason I won't be voting for Kasich, btw.) Things did change after a few states passed concealed carry and violent crime rate went down just in those states - so other states followed. But that doesn't mean the fight against gun grabbers is over. Again, given the right majority in both houses, that could easily fall, despite the size of the gun owner population.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
If they told the reporter their nic comes from eggplants, they have already lied about their product and fit the stereotype they represent in their 'professional' photo...

I'm not understanding where you're getting the idea they lied. If you know for a fact they're lying, what is that fact?

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
There is no seller of e-liquid using nicotine from a source other than tobacco. If there were, it would be a first and big news...

I don't think it would be big news, just the opposite probably. That's me assuming the media would continue on it's usual anti-vaping course and ignore anything "big" or positive in regards to vaping. In anycase, your comment doesn't do much in the way of swaying me to believe they're lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread