DNA 200 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
is that other thread really evolve owned or was that a joke? if so, sure there are no bugs if you ask there. let's be honest and go based on track record. evolve with no bugs is like a roach motel with no bugs. I am sorry if that is harsh but thus far it has been reality. I cannot keep buying $200+ boxes that fail to function as described. that's just me though. I recently dumped 11 dna40 boxes in the trash and sit here with two sx mini. I really do hope they do better. if so hats off to them. I have no hard feelings against them. I understand engineering is complex. in fact I would rather not see the Chinese dominate this industry because I am pro usa. meanwhile I do anticipate the availability of this chip in say my favorite box hana.

other than that, I was wondering if there is a list and explanation of new functions onboard.

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Knock it off

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
is that other thread really evolve owned or was that a joke? if so, sure there are no bugs if you ask there. let's be honest and go based on track record. evolve with no bugs is like a roach motel with no bugs. I am sorry if that is harsh but thus far it has been reality. I cannot keep buying $200+ boxes that fail to function as described. that's just me though. I recently dumped 11 dna40 boxes in the trash and sit here with two sx mini. I really do hope they do better. if so hats off to them. I have no hard feelings against them. I understand engineering is complex. in fact I would rather not see the Chinese dominate this industry because I am pro usa. meanwhile I do anticipate the availability of this chip in say my favorite box hana.

other than that, I was wondering if there is a list and explanation of new functions onboard.
The "other" forum is moderated by the owners of Evolv (Brandon and John) and some of their employees. There are many beta testers and early adopters on there as well. They've pointed out some bugs and have been very quick to fix them with updates in the software.

11 DNA40 boxes that failed to function, huh? You must be the unluckiest person in the world. I surprised you haven't dumped the SX mini with all its bugs that actually affect the basic function of the mod.

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Knock it off

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj

11 of them huh? One would think if they were so buggy you would have stopped buying them long before you reached 11.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
  • Deleted by retired1

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
The "other" forum is moderated by the owners of Evolv (Brandon and John) and some of their employees. There are many beta testers and early adopters on there as well. They've pointed out some bugs and have been very quick to fix them with updates in the software.

11 DNA40 boxes that failed to function, huh? You must be the unluckiest person in the world. I surprised you haven't dumped the SX mini with all its bugs that actually affect the basic function of the mod.
I think ZeroOhm holds that record and it were more than 11.

Anyway, I hope this board won't have any major problems and that they can be solved via firmware updates.

6 months or so should be enough to get a clear picture of the board's track record.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
Software is never bug free; the important thing is the severity and occurrence of those bugs.

I also don't own any YiHi or Evolv products, which in my opinion is not a bad thing as it makes me more objective.

Edit: As Tony just said the welcome change with the DNA200 is that it supports firmware upgradability, that should help significantly.

Reactions: suspectK

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Knock it off!

ozen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Rabbit Hole

You can watch/learn from this interactive tutorial here
DNA200 Tutorial

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Couldn't care less about the Yihi vs Evolv nonsense, but i wish it would stop because it only hurts the forum.

That said, i don't see how anyone can call it a bad thing that the owners of Evolv (John and Brandon) created a chip specific forum and are directly taking feedback/providing answers/and interacting with their customer base. They are actually surprising active/responsive.

It does seem like they've learned some lessons from the DNA40 (they admit it over there) and are trying to be much more informative/helpful to make sure this chip gets finalized/released properly, and is issue free.

Just compare the information available at the DNA40's launch vs the DNA200, for example look at the escribe software trainer, its literally a step by step VOICE narrated trainer on how to use the software/different functions.

Back on topic, its looks like genstattu has gensace 1000 and 1300mah packs back in stock, and "on sale".

Trying to figure out if i should get one of each or just a couple 1300's...

Darkly spectr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Belgium
Why the hurry? :)

Eric
I just spend 150 euros on materials I want to use that stuff yo.

I know a guy that does stainless and aluminium construction. I should ask him to shorten my box and drill the holes and stuff. Don't need to buy expensive bits and stuff haha.

quick question. does the DNA 40/200 use the temperature sensor on the board for ambient temperature measurements or is it pure resistance based?

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
I just spend 150 euros on materials I want to use that stuff yo.

I know a guy that does stainless and aluminium construction. I should ask him to shorten my box and drill the holes and stuff. Don't need to buy expensive bits and stuff haha.

quick question. does the DNA 40/200 use the temperature sensor on the board for ambient temperature measurements or is it pure resistance based?

The way i understand it, it obviously uses the TCR for temp monitoring of the coil but the board itself also must have the ability to read temps with a sensor of some sort as it can read board temperature, case temperature (for charging cycle/overheat protections) and i believe also ambient outside temp (which would still essentially be the box temp but just not when charging).

Azarias

May 25, 2015
Illinois
Back on topic, its looks like genstattu has gensace 1000 and 1300mah packs back in stock, and "on sale".

Trying to figure out if i should get one of each or just a couple 1300's...
Do they work with the chip?
Evolv says in the datasheet that the batteries should have a discharge of min. 23.5A and all 25C 3S LiPo's I found only have 20A.

EDIT:
BTW I didn't want to build an own mod.
I wanted to wait until the DNA200 is on the market for at least 6 months.
And now?

Reading this thread triggered my shinyitis BIG TIME. Thanks guys. I'm already making my shopping list. Help me to explain that to my wife.

Last edited:

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Do they work with the chip?
Evolv says in the datasheet that the batteries should have a discharge of min. 23.5A and all 25C 3S LiPo's I found only have 20A.

EDIT:
BTW I didn't want to build an own mod.
I wanted to wait until the DNA200 is on the market for at least 6 months.
And now?

Reading this thread triggered my shinyitis BIG TIME. Thanks guys. I'm already making my shopping list. Help me to explain that to my wife.
A 1300 Mah 25c has a constant of 32.5a

Reactions: Azarias

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Ah okay. Thanks.

Maybe I was just confused because I was just looking at smaller LiPo's fitting the Evolv case from shapeways.
To get your amp draw rating, multiply the amp (mah......1300 mah = 1.3a etc) by the c rating....i.e. 1.3x25....... So a 1000 mah 25c = 25 amp constant :)

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure
My nephew is a professional Linux kernel developer (he also did some work on the XNU kernel) and he also worked for some big companies like Intel and IBM. He made a post on the Evolv forum (using the nickname Vaper) and offered Brandon and John to port the EScribe software to Mac and Linux and also maintain it. He didn't even ask to be paid for it but they aren't interested in an out of house port done by a volunteer. It's their loss (and of everyone using Mac or Linux.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread