Not open for further replies.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Almost certainly not.
And if RTD found out they had been duped themselves, I'm sure they'd make it right with replacement/refund. You really can't find a more trustworthy vendor...

I get my Sony VTC4 batteries from RTD, Are they fake?

Thanks, Jim

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
There's posts around ECF about them.
Here's something on IMRbatteries.com (they have them, so doe Orbtronic, as well as the other places I linked before!). All those places, Orbtronic, Illumn, RTD, etc - they tested them and looked for the tell-signs of fake ones before selling them.
I'm convinced.
But it's also true that there are several other perfectly good options.

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
This is all I could find on the Sony site about their li ion battery :(
Not sure if this is the same battery we use but I found this article on the Sony olivine-type lithium-ion iron phosphate battery.
This was updated Aug. 22 2014
Sony Global - Expanding from the Development of Olivine-Type Lithium-Ion Iron Phosphate Storage Batteries to Include Other Peripheral Devices
It has this Pic which look the the VTC but are SE US18650FT :?:
8ido18000002t6zc.jpg

I got the number of the battery off this website that had a bigger image of the same picture and I could see using zoom on Chrome.
Sony's Olivine Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries Keep 4 Times More Power - The Green Optimistic
sony-new-batteries-with-4-times-more-power_ZccOy_69-300x251.jpg

But if you look down towards the bottom of that website it has the battery specs
Max. continuous discharge current: 20A
which is pretty good for 2009,
but says Nominal Voltage: 3.2V :?:

Now that battery was put out by Sony in 2009
Sony Global - Sony Launches High-power, Long-life Lithium Ion Secondary Battery Using Olivine-type Lithium Iron Ph
Which has the same Picture and maybe no one updated the picture since then :unsure:

These batteries are used in Sony's energy storage modules.
Now if these are the same batteries we use and just a old picture,
Sony did do a Joint venture with Hydro-Québec last year and are making these batteries.
The system is a 1.2-megawatt-hour container consisting of 576 batteries from Sony.
Sony Launches Joint Venture With Canadian Utility to Test Grid-Scale Storage Systems : Greentech Media

If these are totally a different battery then the VTC,
then just go ahead and be mean and ignore this post :cry: :facepalm:

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Huh! Well, I didn't get an email (and I think I do from them) and I didn't see anything on the site.
But RTD's still my go-to for batteries.

Yeah me too, I got nothing from them and I have always ordered my batteries from them, I have ordered some from provape also, but usually with another order I am placing, I could have used a discount this weekend. :(

KAS

Reactions: FringeChief68

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Sometimes at some of the Nuclear plants they will have displays set up about future energy.
This one plant out in Wash. had this Battery (advanced energy storage unit) that they claimed could power NY city for 100 years :blink:
It was appox. a 4' x 4' cube.
But they also claimed that smaller energy storage units like it would be used in most homes in the future :?:
So the theory is your house would run off one of these units and the only electricity you would use would be to charge the unit :thumb:
But that would save people money and saving people money means big business losing money so I don't see it in our future :facepalm:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I wanna get one of these batteries.
$3500.
The heck with Mah, these babies store up 10 Kilowatt Hours - intended to run your whole house overnight, then charge again from solar in the daytime.

powerwall-battery-group@2x.png

Here's video all about it...

Last edited:

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
I understand if Sony is still making the VTCs but wants nothing to do with their name being involved with e-cigs or mods till more research is done on them.
Plausible Deniability :facepalm: But I would feel better seeing something from Sony saying they are still making them for battery Backup systems or something.
I figure someone is going to take one of these new VTC5's and test it to see if it is 30A and all the other specs match up with the original :unsure:

Reactions: AstroTurf

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Reactions: AstroTurf

Kn0ttYFive

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
Releaser of the KRAKEN
I understand if Sony is still making the VTCs but wants nothing to do with their name being involved with e-cigs or mods till more research is done on them.
Plausible Deniability :facepalm: But I would feel better seeing something from Sony saying they are still making them for battery Backup systems or something.
I figure someone is going to take one of these new VTC5's and test it to see if it is 30A and all the other specs match up with the original :unsure:

Sony official response to the
availability of VTC4 and VTC5's

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
That is what Sony said - about a year ago.
But a few weeks ago, RTD, Illumn, Orbtronix, VaporDNA, IMRbatteries, Kidneypuncher, Sun-Vapers - pretty much every vendor we trust for batteries - they all started carrying VTC5's again.

A couple of them (Kidneypuncher and Orbtronic) specifically state that they tested to verify before carrying them, and a couple of them were the same vendors instrumental in helping people identify fakes during the past year...

Sony official response to the
availability of VTC4 and VTC5's

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
What I'm thinking, and I could be wrong, I usually am :facepalm:
But this joint Venture between Sony & Hydro-Québec formed a company called Esstalion Technologies in June 2014.
The Esstalion name is made from the words energy storage system and lithium-ion.

Esstalion is going to make a energy storage units that contains 576 Sony Li-ion batteries.
The testing for the Prototype is going to start this summer, pretty much around the same time people started getting Sony batteries back in stock :?:
So it would make sense if they were going to use 576 batteries in each unit that they would have to start to produce them again :unsure:

Side Note,
For two years Sony wanted to sale their Lithium-Ion Battery Division to Nissan, but by Dec. 2013 changed their mind and decided not to sale it.

But maybe all of this is just a coincidence :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread