Not open for further replies.

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu
Thank you Billie.
And this again means that the glass is inserted into the cage by means of o-rings or glue?
No glue on the caged sleeve. O rings on both ends that will not be visible. Like on the Cage tank :)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
Hey! The Calix arrived. That was faaaaast! Upon unboxing it, it is immediately noticeable what an extremely good looking atomiser this is. I did actually go with Qorax recommendation of getting the SS tank section for it, and the air-tip combo. I'll build it tonight, but so far I'm very pleased, as I wanted a Calix ever since you released it.

Many thanks!

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu
Hey! The Calix arrived. That was faaaaast! Upon unboxing it, it is immediately noticeable what an extremely good looking atomiser this is. I did actually go with Qorax recommendation of getting the SS tank section for it, and the air-tip combo. I'll build it tonight, but so far I'm very pleased, as I wanted a Calix ever since you released it.

Many thanks!
Thank you! I am very glad you like it :D

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com

Many thanks!
MANY CONGRATULATIONS buddy :)

ATylerRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Las Vegas NV USA
I just picked up a Calix and it should be here in a few days. I know the build deck is the same as my Apollo so I should have her built with no problem. Will have to go through @qorax great build tutorial again to understand the juice control and how to fill but at least now I know where to go for info. I haven't used tanks much lately other than a Subtank Mini on occasion. The Ni200 coils frankly "suck" for flavor and the rba portion is awful to build on so I'm looking forward to a quality tank again to avoid "Dripping and Driving". I've basically retired my original Kayfuns due to lack of airflow and bottom fill port. I'm hoping this will have enough airflow to work well with TC.

OooHhh 4 "The Love of Vaping"

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I just picked up a Calix and it should be here in a few days. I know the build deck is the same as my Apollo so I should have her built with no problem. Will have to go through @qorax great build tutorial again to understand the juice control and how to fill but at least now I know where to go for info. I haven't used tanks much lately other than a Subtank Mini on occasion. The Ni200 coils frankly "suck" for flavor and the rba portion is awful to build on so I'm looking forward to a quality tank again to avoid "Dripping and Driving". I've basically retired my original Kayfuns due to lack of airflow and bottom fill port. I'm hoping this will have enough airflow to work well with TC.

CONGRATS Rose! And yep, it works like a C-H-A-R-M with any build you throw at it, including Ni200 :)

ATylerRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Las Vegas NV USA
CONGRATS Rose! And yep, it works like a C-H-A-R-M with any build you throw at it, including Ni200 :)
I watched one of your tutorials earlier when I was trying to learn more about the Apollo since the Greek/English subtitled one is how I first set it up. I was pleased to see one directed strictly at TC. I can't wait to give it a vape. I'm more of a flavor junkie than cloud chaser so I am hoping it has the airflow needed to avoid temp protect. Although I've been using the SX Mini M Class much more than the DNA40 Flask lately due to the build ease of a .065 target resistance. "Way Smaller Coils" = "A Lot Less Headaches"....LOL

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
Can I ask a question about coiling the Calix? The most natural way of attaching the coil legs is to have them in direct contact with the metal corner of the contact blocks. I know that is not going to introduce a short since the contact blocks are insulated against each other, but is that going to introduce unwanted resistance? Or is it better to have the leads in free air and bend them around the side of the blocks without them touching the blocks. I have made my first build at 1.3 ohms, and have found a very underpowered vape. This is on a Nemesis mech with freshly cleaned contacts (I even stripped the switch down and cleaned that). On the other hand, if I put this build on a regulated mod and stick it up at 13W it's obviously fine, and a very nice vape indeed I must say.

What I can try is next time I have time to fiddle around, I'll recoil it slightly slower resistance. Having said this, I must say of the Calix some feedback

1. It's glass, and I don't have to worry about the type of juice I put in.
2. My first re-wick was easy. I had a full tank of juice and the flavour was starting to go off because I had vaped 3 tank fulls without rewicking. I just unscrewed the deck, rewicked it, and was vaping again without having to drain the tank. I love this. So easy
3. Other atomisers (fogger, erlkonigen) require very precise wicking. Having fat wicks near the coil to prevent flooding/leaking, and then trimming the wick ends so fine so that they don't block the wick channels. These atomisers have a steep learning curve on how to wick them. The Calix however is extremely easy to wick. My first ever build was perfect, which is a rare thing.
4. After heavy use of the Calix I never experienced flooding, gurgling or dry hits. Just flawless vaping.
5. Flavour is good.
6. Juice flow control is very responsive. I like this - I have some atomisers with JFC where adjusting it makes very little difference.
7. Bottom AFC is very responsive. With it fully open it guzzles juice. With it closed slightly it's juice consumption is normal. For normal vaping I can have restricted airflow, and when I decide to dual-coil it, I can open it up.
8. Tme to rewick: Other tamks (erlkonigen) require you to rewick every tankful, otherwise the flavour suffers. The Taifun GT every two tankfuls. The Calix seems to be three, probably equal to the Rose. This is good!
9. Some tanks you can't vape completely dry. With the Calix you can vape every drop. I love this.

So the Calix seems very very good indeed. The only problem I have is my underpowered vape on a mech. At 1.4 ohms, the erlkonigen gives a warm powerful vape. At 1.3 ohms the Calix is not performing and I'm sure it's my fault and not the Calix' fault. So I need to understand how to coil it better. I plan to watch some videos and also ask on here about other people's experiences on running this atomiser on a mech. Anyone?

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
To answer my own question, I watched GrimGreen's video on the Calix, and he had his coil inverted, with less leg length and with the legs from the right hand side of the coil going directly to the left hand side coil screw without it contacting the metal corner of the contact block. I tried this, at 1.2 ohms and can report it's a good build for a mech. Also I've further reduced the airflow. I also tried moving the juice intake holes away from my cotton. This build gives fantastic flavour. I can't wait to try dual coiling it!

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu
To answer my own question, I watched GrimGreen's video on the Calix, and he had his coil inverted, with less leg length and with the legs from the right hand side of the coil going directly to the left hand side coil screw without it contacting the metal corner of the contact block. I tried this, at 1.2 ohms and can report it's a good build for a mech. Also I've further reduced the airflow. I also tried moving the juice intake holes away from my cotton. This build gives fantastic flavour. I can't wait to try dual coiling it!
I am sorry for the late reply. Yes, the key point is to avoid contact of the legs of your coil with the cup. It can cause loss of current. And moving the tails of your wick from the liquid feed will indeed increase the flavor :)

gmoney$

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2013
California
I have to report on the Calix. It finally arrived from Greece ( I chose the slow/cheap shipping method). I was a bit intimidated by the odd side-mounting and the differing wicking options in looking at Qorax' video. But it was a snap. Rock solid coil attachment first try, very secure and intuitive. As a mediocre coil builder, I quickly cleaned the calix, put the orings back on, mounted a coil, chose the approach of wicking to the side of the juice holes, filled 'er up about 75% full, and was just blasted with perfect, singing flavor. No cotton taste, no new atty off flavors, just absolutely what my juice was meant to be. Well, I still have to nail the juice control I thought, this is just the first few draws and I really didn't put any thought into the juice control other than opening it about 2/3rds of a turn. My tank is now near empty, and the vape is still just incredible. Saturated, dense and voluminous vapor (and I don't even care about vapor levels) ... perfect M2L vapes and smoothly opens up to airy if I choose (and I did for one or two draws.). Well done By-Leo, thanks Qorax!

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
After living with the Calix for a few days, and nailing the build, really neat microcoil, 0.3mm kanthal A1 8 wraps ,1.4mm ID, 1.29 ohms, legs not touching the cup, wicked with organic cotton, bottom AFC only open slightly, I have to say the Calix absolutely sings. Good TH, loads of flavour - the hypothetical question of: someone loaned me a Calix to try before I buy. Would I go ahead and buy one?

Absolutely YES :)

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I have to report on the Calix. It finally arrived from Greece ( I chose the slow/cheap shipping method). I was a bit intimidated by the odd side-mounting and the differing wicking options in looking at Qorax' video. But it was a snap. Rock solid coil attachment first try, very secure and intuitive. As a mediocre coil builder, I quickly cleaned the calix, put the orings back on, mounted a coil, chose the approach of wicking to the side of the juice holes, filled 'er up about 75% full, and was just blasted with perfect, singing flavor. No cotton taste, no new atty off flavors, just absolutely what my juice was meant to be. Well, I still have to nail the juice control I thought, this is just the first few draws and I really didn't put any thought into the juice control other than opening it about 2/3rds of a turn. My tank is now near empty, and the vape is still just incredible. Saturated, dense and voluminous vapor (and I don't even care about vapor levels) ... perfect M2L vapes and smoothly opens up to airy if I choose (and I did for one or two draws.). Well done By-Leo, thanks Qorax!
Congrats ~ and thank you for the appreciation dear :)

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu

After living with the Calix for a few days, and nailing the build, really neat microcoil, 0.3mm kanthal A1 8 wraps ,1.4mm ID, 1.29 ohms, legs not touching the cup, wicked with organic cotton, bottom AFC only open slightly, I have to say the Calix absolutely sings. Good TH, loads of flavour - the hypothetical question of: someone loaned me a Calix to try before I buy. Would I go ahead and buy one?

Absolutely YES :)
Thank you very much for your kind words! I am very glad you like it! :D

Reactions: NeoGoldenBoy

ATylerRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Las Vegas NV USA
I received mine last night too. The build was a breeze since I've already used the Apollo for awhile now. Test fired perfectly and ohms dead on. Had it up and going pronto. It was Vaping like a charm then I noticed it leaking. OMG what a mess I made. I think I have to much wick in the tails because the juice control isn't turning properly. Set it down and slowly backed away. Glad I didn't fill it up all the way. I'll start on it again tonight after work but any hints will be much appreciated. No forget that. HELP!!!!!

Reactions: Billie-cig

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu
I received mine last night too. The build was a breeze since I've already used the Apollo for awhile now. Test fired perfectly and ohms dead on. Had it up and going pronto. It was Vaping like a charm then I noticed it leaking. OMG what a mess I made. I think I have to much wick in the tails because the juice control isn't turning properly. Set it down and slowly backed away. Glad I didn't fill it up all the way. I'll start on it again tonight after work but any hints will be much appreciated. No forget that. HELP!!!!!

First things I would try is opening the liquid control less (even half a turn to 3/4 of a turn should do it) and tighten the top cap more. To make the liquid control easier to turn , after closing the top cap, open it slightly before tightening the top cap completely. :)

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu
I will try all of the above tonight when I tackle it again. I left it sitting on a stand last night and this morning nothing else had leaked out but at on point it was just dripping out everywhere.

It sounds like a loss of vacuum. Tightening the top cap all the way down will help that. If you feel it oversaturetes even with the liquid control at half a turn, you should try a bit more wicking material. Also, please make sure the SS cup is properly tightened as well :)

Reactions: ATylerRose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread