Sigelei 75w Temp Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Just wondering why the SW chip is garbage? I have one and works great with everything I throw on it. Just wondering if I should expect issues

Nope, you shouldn't expect any issues. You just have to expect some fanboys to praise their chip of preference no matter how inferior it is.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
UI's change, it's no big deal...

But I think the NEWEST one is the one that looks just like the Snowwolf, there's a mix of newer and older pictures across the web's vape shops pre-order pages.

It all does seem odd to me though that at first every indication was that they were using Yihi, then all of a sudden they were using an in-house chip (apparently, I've seen no official announcement one way or the other or the name of the chip or any real details). Seems borderline shady to me.
yes, sigelei is widely known for being shady....not! what an ignorant statement-because they were pondering different boards at one time, or they did absolutely nothing and the speculation was all internet driven -either way there is nothing shady, just business decisions. until the final product is released whatever happens beforehand is irrelevant. they should be judged on the final product and not whatever version was tossed around on some web page......

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
I'm nearly positive they knew exactly what chipset was going into the product for a few months at the very least. Maybe they wanted to keep it a secret for proprietary reasons, maybe they were okay with speculation if it meant a few more sales, no one knows but them.

But, you're right that it stemmed from internet or vendor speculation.... I don't think, to this day, SIGELEI actually officially announced anything about the chip.

But for me that's enough to create a level of doubt that makes Me disinterested in pre ordering, and I'll wait for reviews. If they would've used Yihi, like they always have in the past, I definitely would have preordered this (even if that meant slightly higher costs) but now it's likely that I'll be choosing the ipv d2 instead.

Maybe shady was the wrong word but it's odd that a full priced item from a company like Sigelei will likely be coming with what is essentially a cloned chipset.

Last edited:

Juvecoop

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2014
Toronto, Ont, Canada
Nope, you shouldn't expect any issues. You just have to expect some fanboys to praise their chip of preference no matter how inferior it is.

And by all means they have a right to their own opinion but at least back up your statement to why you feel that way. To say something is garbage may gear someone in another direction when it my right out be the perfect device for them. Personally i agree with what you stated on the simplicity for the user, which is perfect for me and was the main reason i made the purchase as well. I hate jumping through loops just to change something on my previous devices and especially being new to TC having something simple and easy was key for me.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I'm nearly positive they knew exactly what chipset was going into the product for a few months at the very least. Maybe they wanted to keep it a secret for proprietary reasons, maybe they were okay with speculation if it meant a few more sales, no one knows but them.

Now, this is my speculation alone, but I suspect that the primary reason they decided to develop there own chip is simply a matter of profits. Yihi chips aren't sold at cost, they have a markup so Yihi can make a profit off the sales of those chips. There is no way to avoid the fact that any company using Yihi chips is paying more than the chips cost to produce. Any company that produces their own chips eliminates that 3rd party markup.

And if they can make a chip that is easier to use yet works every bit as well in both wattage and TC mode then that can be a significant selling point for them. The reason a LOT of people are now buying the SnowWolf is simply because it is the easiest to use TC chip on the market, yet is extremely reliable and extremely accurate. It's an easier to use alternative that works just as well.

But, you're right that it stemmed from internet or vendor speculation.... I don't think, to this day, SIGELEI actually officially announced anything about the chip.

You are correct there. Sigelei hasn't made any official announcements regarding the chip itself, and if they are not intending to sell it to 3rd party vendors nor the general public then I don't expect them to ever make any specific announcement about it.

But for me that's enough to create a level of doubt that makes Me disinterested in pre ordering, and I'll wait for reviews. If they would've used Yihi, like they always have in the past, I definitely would have preordered this (even if that meant slightly higher costs) but now it's likely that I'll be choosing the ipv d2 instead.

Of course you can always "play it safe" and stick with what you know. Many fans of the Evolv chips do the same thing and wouldn't dare touch a Yihi, viewing it as little more than a Chinese clone.

But there is something here that should be pointed out. NONE of these chips are designed and manufactured by Yihi, or Evolv, or anyone else in the ecig industry. These are simply boards produced using off the shelf computer components that were designed and fabricated by the electronics industry which ecig makers have simply adopted for their own use. The only ecig-specific aspect of these boards is the firmware. The actual hardware is all 3rd party and is all tried and true tested long before ecig makers adopted them.

Maybe shady was the wrong word but it's odd that a full priced item from a company like Sigelei will likely be coming with what is essentially a cloned chipset.

You mean like Yihi released the SX Mini Class M with what is essentially a cloned chipset? I seem to recall Evolv having their TC chipset out long before Yihi had one. How is Yihi's chip any less of a clone than Sigelei's or Liasimo's?

Reactions: zogu

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I've never gotten any rattlesnaking on the new Yihi ti firmware. Now, mind you, I've never used a nickel coil due to my allergy so I can't comment on the mod's behavior with nickel.

The rattlesnaking of Yihi chips is well known and well documented. It's enough of an issue that Yihi themselves have it listed in the FAQ for the SX Mini M Class. It's the 12th question on their FAQ.

Q: I hearing a hum/rattlesnake sound while vaping this new device M Class. It is normal ?
A: Under the Joule mode, the chip is constantly controlling the temperature and making adjustments to maintain the setting. As a result, there may be a slight hum or buzzing while it is working, this is normal, Please do not worry about it.

SXmini-SXmini maker,SXmini,yihisxmini,yihiecigar,sx350,yihi sx350, yihi sx350 mini, yihiecigar sx350 mini, gravity sensor,www.yihisxmini.com,120w device

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
The rattlesnaking of Yihi chips is well known and well documented. It's enough of an issue that Yihi themselves have it listed in the FAQ for the SX Mini M Class. It's the 12th question on their FAQ.

SXmini-SXmini maker,SXmini,yihisxmini,yihiecigar,sx350,yihi sx350, yihi sx350 mini, yihiecigar sx350 mini, gravity sensor,www.yihisxmini.com,120w device

Have you tried the new firmware and ti yet? Even going down to the dry coil situation it hasn't been noticeable like it was before that firmware.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Have you tried the new firmware and ti yet? Even going down to the dry coil situation it hasn't been noticeable like it was before that firmware.

Nope, haven't tried it with the new firmware, and doubt I will anytime soon. Like I said, I tried multiple Yihi chipped devices before I bought the SnowWolf and at the time, the Yihi rattlesnaked while the SnowWolf didn't. That and the far easier user interface is why I bought the SnowWolf and don't own a Yihi device.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Nope, haven't tried it with the new firmware, and doubt I will anytime soon. Like I said, I tried multiple Yihi chipped devices before I bought the SnowWolf and at the time, the Yihi rattlesnaked while the SnowWolf didn't. That and the far easier user interface is why I bought the SnowWolf and don't own a Yihi device.

I only have the m class, DNA40s and a clone DNA40. With ti, I'm now thrilled with the m class and want another, but am back to kanthal on the other mods.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth

I think the rattlesnaking you mention on Yihi site is mostly due to language barrier. When they posted that FAQ they were responding to a very low hum produced by the chip when in temp mode that was reported to them. It's so low that many cant even hear it and some hear it only initially before the coil is hot... I was unable to hear it until I placed an empty 30ml bottle to the side of the device then up to my ear.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
I've never gotten any rattlesnaking on the new Yihi ti firmware. Now, mind you, I've never used a nickel coil due to my allergy so I can't comment on the mod's behavior with nickel.
You may just not notice it. Rattlesnaking is a product of pwm. Pwm is how yihi achieves their temp limiting. So, it's definitely happening.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
You may just not notice it. Rattlesnaking is a product of pwm. Pwm is how yihi achieves their temp limiting. So, it's definitely happening.

I cant speak to all the boards or devices Yihi produces as they have quite a few. But the Sxmini m and Sx350j board is not PWM. Perhaps your categorizing what you've seen from some other board and applying it to all but that's not the case with either of those two.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
I cant speak to all the boards or devices Yihi produces as they have quite a few. But the Sxmini m and Sx350j board is not PWM. Perhaps your categorizing what you've seen from some other board and applying it to all but that's not the case with either of those two.
Must use pfm then? Whatever it's doing there's definitely some rattlesnaking going on. To most it's not a big deal, or probably not even noticeable. Unfortunately it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
If the device is setup correctly it's essentially a flat dc signal no noise other than the coil vaporizing juice. There is a 1.2 millisecond pulse that occurs at about 50Hz assumed to be the resistance check, but if you can hear that you are probably bothered by your 60Hz wall outlet as well.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio

What I'm trying to say is its much improved with the new firmware. I am unable to notice it now. Its become acceptable to me compared to when I first got the mod. I don't know if they changed the frequency or what they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread