Problem with istick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_UK

Jul 6, 2015
Suffolk
Hi all, long time reader but this is my first post!

Problem I'm having is burnt taste when I use my eleaf istick 20w, just to clarify I know this is not a 'coil' issue as I can take my tank off my istick, pop it onto another batt/mod and it vapes fine. Also I am aware that the istick can be delivering more wattage than shown and I do adjust accordingly (in fact I can go as low as possible - 5.2w with 1.7ohm coil and still get burnt taste, whereas I can go as high as 8.5w with the same coil/tank on another batt) has anyone else had a similar problem? Am I missing something? Any advice greatly appreciated

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @Chris_UK. Glad to have you here!:)

There are a few problems with regard to the iStick 20 watt circuitry (it measures mean not RMS). It is not capable of down regulating power (it is widely inaccurate, especially at lower voltages). It does not output voltages between 3v and 4.2 volts, regardless of what the screen says.

This problem was fixed in the iStick 30 watt.

upload_2015-7-6_10-46-36.png

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada

There are a few problems with regard to the iStick 20 watt circuitry (it measures mean not RMS). It is not capable of down regulating power (it is widely inaccurate, especially at lower voltages). It does not output voltages between 3v and 4.2 volts, regardless of what the screen says.

View attachment 469194
thank you for the informative post.it is hard to find information on these products other than opinions expressed in the reviews.

Reactions: Susan~S

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi Susan-S thanks for the reply, wish I knew about that before I bought it (my bad I suppose for not researching properly!) I guess I'll have to go for the 30w istick and just use a higher res coil in my 20w for now to bring the watts down
This is the answer.

Nothing wrong with the 20w as a device, it just doesn't work with old tech tanks fitted with low res coils.

(In other words, there is plenty wrong with it)...

I have 2 - they are awesome! :) Still my favourite.

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012

View attachment 469194

Great chart, thanks for posting it. This may explain some of the issues I've been having with my 20W iStick and getting a burnt taste now and again. Thank goodness I have a 30W as back up.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
UPDATE - received a 30w istick this morning and it is working brilliantly (so far) seems to be a big improvement on the 20w.

If you ever get a Mini (or regular sized) Nautilus it will run great on your iStick 20 watt. I usually vape mine from 15-17 watts (flavor dependent).

And if you ever get into subΩ tanks, the Kanger Mini Subtank runs great on the iStick 30 watt. LOTS of vapor. Airflow can be adjusted for M2L (mouth-2-lung) or D2L (direct-2-lung) inhaling. You just need to cut your nic level by at least 50% due to the amount of vapor you are inhaling. Also need to be aware these subΩ tanks *DRINK* the juice.:)

Reactions: Chris_UK

Chris_UK

Jul 6, 2015
Suffolk
And if you ever get into subΩ tanks

Sub ohm will probably be my next step in vaping, but I'm banning myself from buying any new hardware for a while, my wife is getting annoyed now lol. In the meantime I'll keep myself occupied experimenting with new coil builds, wanna try building some of the vertical coil setups and see how they perform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread