Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
In re-reading the thread I see I missed one of your questions. Sorry about that. The learning process I went through was reading every one of Battitudes blogs on battery safety. It really pertains to Mechanical devices, but it's good to know even if you use regulated mods exclusively. Ohms law is really just simple math and having a basic understanding of it helps the whole dynamic of vaping make sense. It is a little overwhelming at first, but once you put it into practice, it becomes very simple, trust me. I still meter out every build on an ohm meter, but after maybe 30-50 builds, I can tell you what my build will come out at within a .1 OHM. The nice thing is, once you build the firt RTA, you can build them all. Techniques may vary, but the concept is the same. You tube was also a blessing when learning to build. Watch them after you learn as well, you'll be amazed at how fast you get better than even the guys holding themselves out as "you tube experts" lol

Reactions: RaccoonChad

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
In re-reading the thread I see I missed one of your questions. Sorry about that. The learning process I went through was reading every one of Battitudes blogs on battery safety. It really pertains to Mechanical devices, but it's good to know even if you use regulated mods exclusively. Ohms law is really just simple math and having a basic understanding of it helps the whole dynamic of vaping make sense. It is a little overwhelming at first, but once you put it into practice, it becomes very simple, trust me. I still meter out every build on an ohm meter, but after maybe 30-50 builds, I can tell you what my build will come out at within a .1 OHM. The nice thing is, once you build the firt RTA, you can build them all. Techniques may vary, but the concept is the same. You tube was also a blessing when learning to build. Watch them after you learn as well, you'll be amazed at how fast you get better than even the guys holding themselves out as "you tube experts" lol

No worries, friend. I had completely forgotten that you didn't answer one of my questions, anyways :)

My brother gave me a FLUKE volt-ohm reader a while back when he used to work there so now I have a reason to use it!

I sincerely appreciate your responses, Jdurand. Who knows? Maybe I'll want more room to build bigger, more robust coils after playing around with the Kanger Subtank and move onto to something more advanced. I know that 'advanced' can be subjective, but to me, the Subtank is like baby's first rebuildable, to me. No disrespect implied to those that highly respect that tank, either.

Could you link to Battitudes blog? I couldn't find it through Google search :(

Jace75

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2015
Delta 2 by joyetech is what you need it has an rba deck if you want to get messy. But the coils seem to go on forever and ever only draw back is its a bit fiddly to fill up I'm not saying it's too hard just saying if your driving you may need to pull over is all. I've not actually had one burn out on me yet it gets to around 3 weeks and the performance drops off but they still fire up but I'm to impatient I want full performance I've still got all the old coils if one does burn out I won't hesitate in chucking an old one back in

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
Delta 2 by joyetech is what you need it has an rba deck if you want to get messy. But the coils seem to go on forever and ever only draw back is its a bit fiddly to fill up I'm not saying it's too hard just saying if your driving you may need to pull over is all. I've not actually had one burn out on me yet it gets to around 3 weeks and the performance drops off but they still fire up but I'm to impatient I want full performance I've still got all the old coils if one does burn out I won't hesitate in chucking an old one back in

Thank you! I'll take note of this and do a little bit more research into this tank :)

Happy vaping!

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hello all!

Let me get the specs out of the way first:
Aspire Atlantis V2 (0.5 ohm) coil in the V1 tank with the highest allowable airflow. Not sure if this is relevant but my battery is an Eleaf iStick 50W and it's pretty much always been set to 25 watts. Eleaf screen shows that I'm vaping on a 1.0 ohm coil at 5.0 volts.

Here's my issue:
Every time I put in a new coil head of an Atlantis V2 0.5 ohm, they only last about 5 - 7 days. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I feel like they shouldn't be burning out this quickly. After about a few days of heavy vaping, I notice that the tank starts to wisps of brown stuff (burnt cotton).

My question(s):
Are Atlantis V2's supposed to last longer than this?
Am I too heavy of a vaper for this coil? Should I switch to something a little bit more friendly to more frequent vaping?
Should I change my juice? (sorry I didn't provide that information >.<)
Would it make a difference if I bump up/down the wattage I'm vaping on?

Sorry for inundating you with so many questions, I just want to know if I should switch over to something else or whatever.

Thanks in advance, happy vaping and have a great and safe 4th!
I've read enough on this forum to be convinced how often you need to replace or rebuild a coil depends on your liquid and your tolerance to vaping a funky coil/wick. I vape NETs on my nautilus mini and replace my coil when the taste gets harsh or burnt, usually 2 to 3 days. At $2/coil that's affordable and worth it to me for a clean vape. Cheaper than cigs. I also pour out the last little bit of darkened liquid when refilling if it's too dark (caused by heated liquid flowing back into the tank as someone has already mentioned. I go for flavor not coil life and some folks like the taste of funky coils and that's not me. Do what works for you and ignore those one month coil life guys haha

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
Setting aside the coil resistance issue for a moment, what is the PG/VG ratio of the juice that you're using? Higher or Max VG juices won't wick as well in any tank, they are meant for drippers. If your coil can't keep up with with juice, you will burn it out. Since you mentioned "wisps of brown stuff (burnt cotton)" I would look at changing your juice and seeing if that corrects the issue first. Throwing new hardware at an issue without knowing the cause is pointless, it will just happen again.

Just my :2c:

Jace75

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2015
What are you doing to those poor coils to kill em off in 2 to 3 days and darkened liquid in such small amount of time even cheap clone coils for the atlantis last longer than that. I wouldn't ignore the delta 2 or the advice flavour is lovely all the way to the end you just find that you have to hold the fire button a bit longer not saying ten seconds longer just longer. 2 to 3 days hehe

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
Setting aside the coil resistance issue for a moment, what is the PG/VG ratio of the juice that you're using? Higher or Max VG juices won't wick as well in any tank, they are meant for drippers. If your coil can't keep up with with juice, you will burn it out. Since you mentioned "wisps of brown stuff (burnt cotton)" I would look at changing your juice and seeing if that corrects the issue first. Throwing new hardware at an issue without knowing the cause is pointless, it will just happen again.

Just my :2c:

This was actually the problem...

The juice that I was vaping on was (I think) a 50/50 mix. Since that bottle of juice ran out I switched to a juice mix with a heavier conc. of VG (70/30). I've been vaping on this coil head for over a week now with very little signs of wear and tear where the wire meets the cotton.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
And just like that, it's happening again...

I switched my juice from Monster Melons by Cuttwood (70vg/30pg) to a new 0.5 ohm Aspire Atlantis V2 with new juice, Pony on Acid by Smax (90vg/10pg) and now I'm back to square one: new coil yesterday, and it's already giving me brown wisps in my tank, today.

However, both Pony on Acid and Antidote by Bamskilicious (liquid I vaped on when I noticed this issue) are very dark liquids. This leads me to believe that the darker the liquid, the quicker it is to darken/burn your cotton. Sorry if this is a conclusion that everybody already arrived at in 2007.

Maybe I should just stick with the lighter, more transparent liquids if I want my coils to last longer? Is that a thing or am I just an insane person?

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread