DNA 200 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure
However you want to swing it, Evolv made the right choice in keeping the programming done in house, for various reasons

Here's the last post by my nephew on the Evolv forum and I think that sums it pretty well.

What you're saying right here proves to me you are a hardware company first and foremost and have little experience in developing software. Do you even have an idea of how the modern world of software development works? Judging by your comment, I'm guessing you don't. It is the norm these days to hire "out of house" software engineers because finding talented people located near where you are set up is a very difficult thing to do. Intel, IBM, Red Hat (my current employer), Google, AMD... the list goes on, they all do it. My colleagues are located all over the world. Talk about smug when you don't even have a clue what you're talking about. And good luck finding someone with my experience conveniently located near you or willing to move to Ohio. Do you really think someone else with my experience who can pick and choose what company to work for from the comfort of their own home is going to pack up and move to Ohio? If you do, you're delusional. So, good luck with that.

From what I know from what my nephew told me, remote working is perfectly normal in software development and only amateurs are this .... about wanting to do everything in house.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Quick question about the box used in beta testing: it's around 92mm tall? Is this correct?

I was looking at a shapeway reproduction in plastic and would like to confirm the size.

Thx

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
The STL file shows 94mm. It's about the same dimensions as a rDNA40 but taller (8-10mm?)

Reactions: tchavei

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Lets not go there

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
Yes Mac sales trends show they have increased market share of about 0.75% over the last year:

Operating system market share

At this rate they are likely to have a respectable market share in about 20 years. Hope you're not in a hurry :) And using a Mac fanboi site like Macrumors is probably not the best source for unbiased data. Being a Mac user also, since 1984, I am very sympathetic to Macs not getting software as soon as their users would like. But this is based on OS decisions Apple has made for their products and there is no amount of wishing that is going to change the market share penetration argument for software developers. It's just not realistic. As it stands now, you are going to have to run a VM or bootcamp to run a large amount of PC based software. Or maybe you could gather enough Mac users to fund a project for Evolv that would allow concurrent software development. If you could get enough Mac users to raise 20 or 30k for this development you would probably stand a good chance of getting what you want. Try a GoFundMe or something and find out how much real support there is for Mac development of this product.

I'm guessing you have trouble reading. What a shame. Either that or you just skipped the remainder of my post. To make it simple for you, my point was that Evolv are likely to have a significant number of Mac-user clients, higher than that of percentage market share, which has been increasing nonetheless.
As for the link, I'm guessing you didn't look at that closely either as the numbers quoted were from Gartner and IDC; if you don't know who they are I'm not going to do your homework for you.

Personally, I couldn't care less, I use virtualisation software on a daily basis and besides I don't plan on buying a DNA200, maybe when Evolv comes to there senses and release a no-compromise chip I'll consider it.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Personally, I couldn't care less, I use virtualisation software on a daily basis and besides I don't plan on buying a DNA200, maybe when Evolv comes to there senses and release a no-compromise chip I'll consider it.
So why are you here other than to argue and bash Evolv???

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
There's no other reasons. Some just don't realize how silly they look. Perhaps they don't realize post history is easily accessible? There's a few of them in the thread and I lol pretty hard every time I see them post. So much effort for nothing. Well, I guess nothing is harsh. They do get categorized by myself, and surely others so I guess that's something. All over a piece of electronics. lol

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I'm guessing you have trouble reading. What a shame. Either that or you just skipped the remainder of my post. To make it simple for you, my point was that Evolv are likely to have a significant number of Mac-user clients, higher than that of percentage market share, which has been increasing nonetheless.
As for the link, I'm guessing you didn't look at that closely either as the numbers quoted were from Gartner and IDC; if you don't know who they are I'm not going to do your homework for you.

LOL... I do know who Gartner and IDC are. The point is that you are trying to show a large market share based on iOS/Mac devices (of which the iOS devices are the lions share of the figures shown) and the iOS devices have absolutely no relevance to the discussion since they can't be used for this purpose.

And your opinion that the young Mac users make a large portion of the vaping world that is likely to buy a DNA200D is just an opinion, a strange one considering there is no way to quantify that statement, but just an opinion. My opinion is that your opinion is grasping at straws that don't exist. And the young Mac users that you say would buy this device are probably the same young Mac users that never smoked in the first place and would be likely to not vape either. It is common knowledge that the majority of new smokers are from lower socio/economic classes, not the privileged classes that would be more likely to be able to afford Mac computers (we're talking Mac computers, not iOS devices). They might be more interested in devices that vaporize other stuff though. Lol.

Reactions: KTMRider

tweetatog

Jan 13, 2015
USA
LOL... I do know who Gartner and IDC are. The point is that you are trying to show a large market share based on iOS/Mac devices (of which the iOS devices are the lions share of the figures shown) and the iOS devices have absolutely no relevance to the discussion since they can't be used for this purpose.

And your opinion that the young Mac users make a large portion of the vaping world that is likely to buy a DNA200D is just an opinion, a strange one considering there is no way to quantify that statement, but just an opinion. My opinion is that your opinion is grasping at straws that don't exist. And the young Mac users that you say would buy this device are probably the same young Mac users that never smoked in the first place and would be likely to not vape either. It is common knowledge that the majority of new smokers are from lower socio/economic classes, not the privileged classes that would be more likely to be able to afford Mac computers (we're talking Mac computers, not iOS devices). They might be more interested in devices that vaporize other stuff though. Lol.
Also these young Mac users, me being one of them, definitely can figure out how to run windows on it. Bootcamp is built into the os for christ's sake

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Also these young Mac users, me being one of them, definitely can figure out how to run windows on it. Bootcamp is built into the os for christ's sake

I totally agree with you, as I said in an earlier post. Using a VM or Bootcamp is the way to use Evolv's software successfully on a Mac. The only point of contention is some expecting a native port to MAC, which may or may not ever happen. But if it does it won't be soon.

Darkly spectr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Belgium
"Release a no-compromise chip."

200 watts device with fully controllable temperature charts and so on. Totally limited and not no-compromise.

you people are damn complaining about OS X support. a OS that is is not even 10% of the market. That literally CAN run windows if needed. and most mac users I know DO have windows in bootcamp atleast.

Mac users are NOT the majority of vapers. They are not as important as PC users. For god sake mac users should be used to programs coming later than windows versions.

"Evolv are likely to have a significant number of Mac-user clients, higher than that of percentage market share"

Proof? Statistics. you have no basis for that statement. technically I don't either but generally speaking you can assume PC users are the majority.

For god sake you people are destroying the DNA 200 chip just for your overpriced half eaten apple logo'd computer where the only reason you are paying a premium is because of the OS. We have a chip that revolutionizes temperature control and "ermergurd no applez support" is destroying it for you and that is just sad.

"But he also doesn't tolerate amateurism in his line of work."

And complaining and whining and spamming on a forum instead of contacting the company directly is TRULY a show of true professionalism. He has no right to talk of professionalism after that. Simple as that. "oh he did it during a bad time" is no excuse. A company wanting to do everything inhouse is not unprofessional. They don't want to outsource simple as that. It is THEIR right to keep all the source material to themselves. might as well complain about yihi chips being unprofessional and closed off because yihi won't give us the source code to fiddle with.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England

200 watts device with fully controllable temperature charts and so on. Totally limited and not no-compromise.

you people are damn complaining about OS X support. a OS that is is not even 10% of the market. That literally CAN run windows if needed. and most mac users I know DO have windows in bootcamp atleast.

Mac users are NOT the majority of vapers. They are not as important as PC users. For god sake mac users should be used to programs coming later than windows versions.

"Evolv are likely to have a significant number of Mac-user clients, higher than that of percentage market share"

Proof? Statistics. you have no basis for that statement. technically I don't either but generally speaking you can assume PC users are the majority.

For god sake you people are destroying the DNA 200 chip just for your overpriced half eaten apple logo'd computer where the only reason you are paying a premium is because of the OS. We have a chip that revolutionizes temperature control and "ermergurd no applez support" is destroying it for you and that is just sad.

"But he also doesn't tolerate amateurism in his line of work."

And complaining and whining and spamming on a forum instead of contacting the company directly is TRULY a show of true professionalism. He has no right to talk of professionalism after that. Simple as that. "oh he did it during a bad time" is no excuse. A company wanting to do everything inhouse is not unprofessional. They don't want to outsource simple as that. It is THEIR right to keep all the source material to themselves. might as well complain about yihi chips being unprofessional and closed off because yihi won't give us the source code to fiddle with.

Glad you got that off your chest!! :)

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
I'm not just here. I browse the SX thread quite often, particularly around the time the beta came out for Ti. I browsed the Evic thread until I found how horrible it was at TC and since it's not firmware upgradeable it's pretty much game over.
I'm also happily vaping away on my dicodes right now.
It's how you form a well rounded opinion.
Your gut reactions (referring to the fanboys in this thread) are to criticise anything negative about Evolv. I just care about seeing a great device out there. The newest DNA device isn't one of there. It could have been but it seems Evolv (like many others out there) were more focused on making a device that will sell the maximum amount to the current public, instead of being a bit open-minded and making a device that can attract newer users.
Let me elaborate on this. Make an updated DNA40 with all the customisable features of the DNA200, particularly firmware upgradability and TCR adjustability. Make this device as small as possible. Also make it affordable. I'd buy this device in a heartbeat and I'm damn sure I could get non-vapers to buy it and stick to it.

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
It's a matter of perspective. I think the fact that they made their new chip a 200W device is a compromise.

They compromised on size and price, which are 2 very important factors.

Size because the board needs to be bigger to support the Watts and they need to include a balance charger for the LiPo needed to power this thing. Also using a LiPo compromises the total size of the device.

Price because making a board that supports LiPo charging and 200W is more expensive.

Furthermore, LiPos means most devices will come with non-replaceable batteries, which means you need to trust the mod vendors and will likely be accompanied with void warnings on warranties in case you open it up. Yes you guys are experts on LiPos but ~99% of vapers aren't. I think having to reeducate everyone on another type of battery can be avoided. All of this because of a feature (200W) that nobody really needs.

What's next? This?

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
I find it funny that it's actually Cloupor coming out with a device that's more forward-thinking.

Light and small (although I would have liked a 40W, single battery option). Magnetic cover. Cheap.
More importantly TC with an automatic joule recommendation, i.e. the device choosing the power based on your Temperature setting instead of you.

Obviously I don't expect this to be a great device. The TC will probably suck and it's not firmware upgradeable but it's still a great idea.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Furthermore, LiPos means most devices will come with non-replaceable batteries, which means you need to trust the mod vendors and will likely be accompanied with void warnings on warranties in case you open it up. Yes you guys are experts on LiPos but ~99% of vapers aren't. I think having to reeducate everyone on another type of battery can be avoided. All of this because of a feature (200W) that nobody really needs.

What's next? This?

@soulseek , I don't think having to re-educate folk on LiPo battery technology is necessary. The DNA200D takes care of that with enough safeguards built in for this to be a non-issue. Just like we don't have to re-educate folks about the battery technology in cell phones or we didn't have to re-educate the vaping masses that purchased MVP mods. For the DIY crowd, then yes... battery technology knowledge regardless of the type of battery used is important. But for the guy that buys a quality mod from a reputable source the board will protect the user from the dangers of whatever battery tech is used.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Unbiased market share reports...

True. I have four macs. I have a few linux boxes as well. That said, todays young folks use their phone for everything. My kids would laugh at something that needed a computer, regardless of the OS it runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread