Best Sub-Ohm Tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I have tried some of the tanks mentioned and I have also read up on most of them. Most of them seem to be good enough for me. I have selected the Arctic 2 sub ohm as it seems to suit my setup the best. Most tanks perform different depending upon what mod they are attached to. I am currently using the Arctic 2 with the IPV 70w and it works good enough for me.

Reactions: PaulyWally

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    I'm unimpressed with the Kanger Subtanks in all forms. I've got a Subtank Mini, and it gets almost no use because it can't handle high watts nor high VG juice very well.

The tank I like the most is the Freemax Starre. It has no problems handling 60+W with max VG juice. You can chain vape until the tank is dry without ever getting a dry hit. The only thing that's missing is top-fill and temperature control coils, but that's being introduced with the Starre Pro which should hit shelves this week.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I'm unimpressed with the Kanger Subtanks in all forms. I've got a Subtank Mini, and it gets almost no use because it can't handle high watts nor high VG juice very well.

The tank I like the most is the Freemax Starre. It has no problems handling 60+W with max VG juice. You can chain vape until the tank is dry without ever getting a dry hit. The only thing that's missing is top-fill and temperature control coils, but that's being introduced with the Starre Pro which should hit shelves this week.

Yep I looked into the Starre sub ohm and it looks nice indeed. It seems to be much like the Arctic 2 that I am using. I can also chain vape using very high vg liquid and it never gives me a dry hit. The only problem with the Arctic tank is that it really gobbles the juice quickly.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    Yep I looked into the Starre sub ohm and it looks nice indeed. It seems to be much like the Arctic 2 that I am using. I can also chain vape using very high vg liquid and it never gives me a dry hit. The only problem with the Arctic tank is that it really gobbles the juice quickly.

I can empty the full 5ml tank on the Starre in about 3 hours if I'm doing some chain vaping. It definitely drinks the juice, which is one of the reasons I'm glad I DIY mine.

Sanctuary Denied

ECF Veteran
    Sep 6, 2013
    Vancouver, Wa
    I have the Kanger sub, and Atlantis v1 & v2.
    I'm not a big fan of the Kanger and not overly impressed with the coils for the Atlantis v1.
    The Atlantis v1 & v2 tanks will both use the v2 coils which I really like. I prefer the .3 ohm coils in either tank. The v2 has a greater span of air flow.
    I found authentic (around $25) and knock offs (under $15) here:Found 307 Atlantis at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    I haven't ordered from this site yet but I've been eyeballing the Mega since the normal size tanks are a little smaller than I like, for me, the only downside to the Atlantis.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    I'm not a big fan of the Kanger and not overly impressed with the coils for the Atlantis v1.
    The Atlantis v1 & v2 tanks will both use the v2 coils which I really like. I prefer the .3 ohm coils in either tank. The v2 has a greater span of air flow.
    I found authentic (around $25) and knock offs (under $15) here:Found 307 Atlantis at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    I haven't ordered from this site yet but I've been eyeballing the Mega since the normal size tanks are a little smaller than I like, for me, the only downside to the Atlantis.

The Freemax Starre tank is 5ml. 2ml more than the Atlantis. The airflow holes on the Starre is absolutely massive, more than enough for anyone. It has two cyclops eye airholes that are 3mm tall and 12mm wide. More than double the size of the largest airflow setting on the Kanger Subtank. And best of all, the Starre can be found for less than $25 for the tank.

The Starre coils cost about $17 for a 5 pack. I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't had a coil last at least a month. Freemax themselves say a coil should last for 60-80 refills (300ml-400ml of juice), which is a huge amount for a single coil in a subohm tank. The coils are rated from 20W up to 100W, so they can accommodate virtually any preference in heat and power.

The only other subohm tanks that I've found that come close to the Starre are the Herakles and the Crown. The Herakles matches the Starre in performance but has a smaller 3ml tank, and the Crown is just a hair behind the Starre and Herakles in flavor, has a smaller 4ml tank, but has top-filling which neither the Starre nor Herakles has. However, later this week the Starre Pro should be hitting store shelves with top-filling and also temperature control coils. The Starre and Crown both have dual parallel wrapped vertical coils, but the Starre coils have a slightly wider range of operation. The Crown also has two single coil options, but IMO they don't work nearly as well as the DVCs.

In short, my list of the 3 best Subohm tanks would be...

1. Freemax Starre
    2. Uwell Crown
    3. Sense Herakles

And this is a very tight race between them. I rate the Crown over the Herakles simply because of the top-fill and 4ml capacity, and I rate the Starre over both the Crown and Herakles for the 5ml capacity and the price.

Last edited:

wtaggin

Jul 7, 2015

I second pretty much every comment on this, minus owning a Kanger at this point. I prefer the .3 ohm coils, as well, and love the fact that they fit the new Triton tank by Aspire.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    I have a starre tank but honestly im having trouble with the .25 coils they havent been lasting too long... ive "broke them in" and all....

What wattage are you running them at?

These are high wattage coils. They should be running in the 50+ watt range. 60-70W is ideal. They work at other ranges but the 60-70W range seems to be the sweet spot.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 9, 2015
    Ft. Vape-WKY
    +1 for the STM. I've never been an Aspire user nor have I had the need or desire to stray from Kanger.
    Granted, I started on a Kanger Pro Tank and am the kind that likes to stick with one Brand/Manufacturer for Parts/Coils cross-applications and just the knowledge of & familiarity with a singular Brand as well as their Product Line. I progressed from there through all their Tanks up to the Mega.
    But, after going to RTAs, RDAs, and Sub-Ohm Building a couple years ago, I gave up on the Kangers and sold all my Aeros and Megas as they just couldn't compare on any level with the RDAs. Frankly, the Vape left me lacking and torqued off after being extremely pleased and spoiled by the RDA/Build Experience.

But, now with the STM, it does a Fantastic job for what it is and actually is a "Go-To" for certain situations as opposed to being a Necessary Evil.
    I like 'em so much I have 3. Two running the .5 OCC or Kanthal built on a Kbox and other on a SubBox. The 3rd running a Ni200 OCC or a Ti build in rotation on the SX Mini M TC.
    I've said it before and stand behind the Statement firmly; You MAY be able to do better than the SubTanks (based on individual preference) BUT not in my Book or any factual Book for that matter when all Aspects are objectively considered & weighed.

Opinion Hour Soapbox humbly & graciously vacated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread