Snohomish Co (WA) follows into the footsteps of CADPH in an attempt to ban vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
http://myeverettnews.com/2015/07/06/should-public-vaping-be-banned-in-everett/

WARNING! The "infographic" contains gory, weapons-grade drivel against the harmless & effective vaping alternative to deadly, legal, & FDA-approved smoking. Must have barf bag ready if you view it!

Please follow the link in the article and comment.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

WARNING! The "infographic" contains gory, weapons-grade drivel against the harmless & effective vaping alternative to deadly, legal, & FDA-approved smoking. Must have barf bag ready if you view it!

That infographic is a collector's item. It'll be very interesting to historians, some day. Lots of very big lies, including:
"83% of calls to Poison Control in 2014 were for nicotine poisoning in kids 0-3 years", and
"Manufacturers don’t have to tell us what they put in the products, but we know most of it isn’t meant for ingestion. Things like propylene glycol benzene lead cadmium nickel"

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010

This is disappointing. That infographic is crawling with citations needed. I'd like to see the samples they used to come to these conclusions. Also, why would they include a non-committal quote from that dude in the CDC? It doesn't confirm anything.

I love how "unbiased" this article is, too.
"But, we're just posing the question!"

Nice to see we're still happy to spread misinformation to people that know nothing about vaping.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
This is disappointing. That infographic is crawling with citations needed. I'd like to see the samples they used to come to these conclusions. Also, why would they include a non-committal quote from that dude in the CDC? It doesn't confirm anything.

I love how "unbiased" this article is, too.
"But, we're just posing the question!"

Nice to see we're still happy to spread misinformation to people that know nothing about vaping.

I agree. Please use the survey responses to correct their misinformation
Feedback on Vaping in Public Places - Snohomish Health District Survey

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I agree. Please use the survey responses to correct their misinformation
Feedback on Vaping in Public Places - Snohomish Health District Survey
Links to their facebook and twitter pages are provided at the end of the survey. I don't have accounts, but if anyone wants their comments seen by anyone other than the Snohomish Health District, that'd be a good way to go.
https://twitter.com/snohd
Snohomish Health District - Everett, WA - Government Organization | Facebook

Reactions: DC2 and DrMA

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Survey taken. Doesn't seem very democratic if people from out of state can have a say in that county's politics.

If they didn't allow out-of-county comments, they couldn't have all their Pharmafia shill buddies insert their regressive anti-vaping opinions. Be assured the usual ANTZ suspects (the body parts & diseases groups: ACS, ALA, AHA, etc.) will submit comments supporting this absurd initiative

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Am also wondering (1) how many of those Poison Control calls are made by ANTZ, (2) what kind of info the Control is giving out, and (3) your very astute question, TheRac25. :)

It seems to me that it would be a very smart beginning vaper would cover all bases about the toxicity of something new in their home. Have done it myself in the past when I had children in the house. At one time parents were told to keep ipecac syrup nearby to induce vomiting in case of poisoning. Are parents told that anymore?

Reactions: nicnik

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
yeah but what percentage of those calls resulted in needing medical attention? guessing around 0%
Most of such calls probably just ask how dangerous is it to touch the nic liquid, or asking other safety questions, whether an exposure has occured or not. It's been noted before that those calls are counted in the totals. Your estimate of 0% needing medical attention sounds very accurate, and I'm estimating 100% of callers are given misinformation.

The 83% figure is still a lie. They don't say what "Poison Control" hotline. These sure aren't the national figures which are extremely tiny, I think way, way less than 1%. Maybe it's the Snohomish County Board of Health's own poison control hotline, or some other local one, and maybe the Board members made the calls themselves. My guess is that there were five phony vaping related calls and one legitimate call. Five out of six would be 83%.

The Snohomish County Board of Health is in the business of BIG LIES, such as are smeared all over their vaping infographic. These are not honest or ethical people, obviously, and unless someone has a better explanation, I will continue believeing in my account of how they came to that lie of 83%.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
That infographic is a collector's item. It'll be very interesting to historians, some day. Lots of very big lies, including:
"83% of calls to Poison Control in 2014 were for nicotine poisoning in kids 0-3 years", and
"Manufacturers don’t have to tell us what they put in the products, but we know most of it isn’t meant for ingestion. Things like propylene glycol benzene lead cadmium nickel"

They've updated their "What You Need To Know" infographic from version 7 that's been discussed in this thread. They're now on v9:

http://www.snohd.org/Portals/0/Snohd/LIving/files/E-CIG_Banner_2015_07_20-v9_pdfversion.pdf

The old one, v7, is still up:

http://www.snohd.org/Portals/0/Snohd/LIving/files/E-CIG_Banner_2015_03_26-v7.pdf

They've changed the 83% thing from "83% OF CALLS TO POISON CONTROL IN 2014 WERE FOR NICOTINE POISONING IN KIDS 0-3 YEARS" to "83% OF NICOTINE POISONINGS IN CHILDREN REPORTED TO POISON CONTROL IN 2014 WERE KIDS 1-3 YEARS

The only other change is an apparent attempt at correcting grammer, which in reality, changed it from good grammer to poor grammer:

v7: "Manufacturers don’t have to tell us what they put in the products, but we know most of it isn’t meant for ingestion. Things like propylene glycol benzene lead cadmium nickel"
v9:
"Manufacturers don’t have to tell us what they put in the products, but we know most of them aren't meant for ingestion. Things like propylene glycol benzene lead cadmium nickel"

Reactions: DrMA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread