The frankenbox, a Kbox DNA 40 hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeebum

Accessories Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
South Ga.
This is before self-etching primer and final finish, so it's pretty raw. Had a small screen dna 40 chip, and a beat-up Kbox. Figured way not make a hybrid? Way more work than buying an enclosure for the chip, but it is the only one of it's kind. No charging port, I just barely had room for what I installed. I have an external charger anyway.

mullberry

Aug 15, 2014
North Carolina
It is an imgur photo gallery, so just pics. If you have a PC available click the imgur logo in the upper left to go to the gallery itself. Embedding like this can make the pics pretty small.
No need I googled and found your reddit post it looks really nice man

Sent from my N907 using Tapatalk

Reactions: coffeebum

coffeebum

Accessories Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
South Ga.
nice work coffeebum! The man with many talents...have you made a case for it yet?:D

what's the finish going to be?

No case yet, but there will be one for sure!
I have not decided on a finish yet. Might leave the faceplate unfinished just for the brushed aluminum look and I might tape off the controls and paint it.
I will try out this self etching primer on the battery body and the top and bottom and kinda go from there.

coffeebum

Accessories Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
South Ga.
Well... pretty sure I have a short somewhere, it is eating batteries WAY too fast. I will have to tear it apart, so don't look for finished pics in the current configuration.
It is not a dead short, more like a bleed from the fire button or something. Dead short would be pretty dang apparent, so no fires at least.
Gonna try to narrow down the problem area before diss-assembly/destruction lol. Just put in a fully charged Samsung 25r reading 4.2V on my multi-meter and powered the device up.
Will give it an hour and check voltage, see it it is a constant bleed with no button pushing or atty on there. More later.

coffeebum

Accessories Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
South Ga.
Well, just to update a bit, I may have a bad board?

Powered up @ 2:50 pm
let it sit unbothered until 8:00 pm still at 4.2V so no bleed
Replaced battery and hit the power button for "check atomizer" for a while... 30 min and checked battery voltage
Still 4.2V so that is not the problem
Put a Subtank Mini on there with a nickle build in the RBA
320° @ 30w reading .15 ohm
Hit the fire button and battery indicator dropped out, hitting temp protection
Battery reading 4.19V on the multimeter
Replaced with no atty on there and now reading full on indicator bar
Moved atty to eVic VT... reading .12ohm and vaping fine
Put atty back on the frankenbox and hit the fire button, indicator dropped to 1/2 (normal DNA 40 crap) then up to full
Vaping ok at 8:39pm
Got weak battery message and indicator dropped out to nothing at 9:20pm
Reinstalling batter was no change, still discharged/weak battery message and indicator showing empty
On multimeter reading 4.07V
Battery on charger and it is recharging.

I think this is a wash fellas, going to put it aside for a couple days. Might find out if it's bulletproof lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread