Titanium wire, vaping and safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
No, I haven't seen that happen. I'm currently running a twisted 28g ti coil at 0.22ohm, 30J and 345°.
No, its never hit the tp.

Roxy

if you cant hit your TP setting of just 345f

then either the joules are too low or the locked resistance is too high

had the too high locked resistance give me some head scratching

found that a 0.265 coil locked in incorrectly at 0.283 was all it took to throw it out

now I make sure my coils are locked in bang on steam tuners predictions and never have an issue

the M class works fine with Ti at 260-280 with out the test upgrade & at 480 with it

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Roxy

if you cant hit your TP setting of just 345f

then either the joules are too low or the locked resistance is too high

had the too high locked resistance give me some head scratching

found that a 0.265 coil locked in incorrectly at 0.283 was all it took to throw it out

now I make sure my coils are locked in bang on steam tuners predictions and never have an issue

the M class works fine with Ti at 260-280 with out the test upgrade & at 480 with it

Quantum,

I won't talk about TP and such I have a completely different approach to that than most folks.

HOWEVER I have notice on occasion that my SX will initially lock in at as much as twice the real resistance. I let it set for a minute or two and do it again and it will pick up the correct resistance and all is good.

Also I have noticed it is not a good idea to hit the fire button to bring up the screen before syncing the resistance. When I do that it will generally read a little higher than it should. I guess fire the button even for an instant is enough to had a little heat to the coil. :2c:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
You guys are making this whole TC thing seem so perilously complicated, I'm starting to wonder if I really want to get into it. I figured it would be a simple matter of using the correct wire and wrapping it at a low enough resistance (less than 1 ohm), and it would be as simple as setting what wattage to vape at, but it seems like you have to set 3 or 4 different technical things just to get it to work at all. :grr:

I'm not technical; I know nothing technical at all about electronics -- I just want to vape at the setting I select, and I was interested in TC because it seemed the answer to knowing when my Achilles needs refilling. But now I just don't know; it seems it will require an electronics degree just to vape with TC. :grr:

Andria

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
You guys are making this whole TC thing seem so perilously complicated, I'm starting to wonder if I really want to get into it. I figured it would be a simple matter of using the correct wire and wrapping it at a low enough resistance (less than 1 ohm), and it would be as simple as setting what wattage to vape at, but it seems like you have to set 3 or 4 different technical things just to get it to work at all. :grr:

I'm not technical; I know nothing technical at all about electronics -- I just want to vape at the setting I select, and I was interested in TC because it seemed the answer to knowing when my Achilles needs refilling. But now I just don't know; it seems it will require an electronics degree just to vape with TC. :grr:

Andria
An electronics degree might help but you still will need to take a masters :D

Now seriously, it's easy once you get used to it. Also depends on the mod. On the dna 40, it refines alone to the correct resistance (and sometimes not). On the sx, you 'lock' de baseline and then it's done if you have a solid build. On the VT, it refines, sort of...

Try TC once and you probably will never go back. I actually don't remember the last time I rewicked or recoiled... Three weeks? A month ago? Can't even remember. TC is great once it works.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
An electronics degree might help but you still will need to take a masters :D

Now seriously, it's easy once you get used to it. Also depends on the mod. On the dna 40, it refines alone to the correct resistance (and sometimes not). On the sx, you 'lock' de baseline and then it's done if you have a solid build. On the VT, it refines, sort of...

Try TC once and you probably will never go back. I actually don't remember the last time I rewicked or recoiled... Three weeks? A month ago? Can't even remember. TC is great once it works.

Regards
Tony

The mod I'll probably get is the Evic-VT. And I'd undoubtedly use it for my ADV, which nowadays I only vape in my Achilles RDAs -- but I still have a lot of other mods -- and 4 Kayfuns, which will be for days when I'm out of the house all day long -- so I don't think the TC mod is the only one I'll ever use.

I'm just wondering if, once I get it, it proves to be so complicated I can't even figure it out, nevermind get a good vape out of it. Actually I have quite an affinity for *using* electronics, but I wouldn't know a "joule" if it bit me on the ..... The only reason I've been able to deal with any of the coil building stuff is because of a) SteamEngine, and b) regulated mods.

Andria

Reactions: xpen

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Quantum,

I won't talk about TP and such I have a completely different approach to that than most folks.

HOWEVER I have notice on occasion that my SX will initially lock in at as much as twice the real resistance. I let it set for a minute or two and do it again and it will pick up the correct resistance and all is good.

Also I have noticed it is not a good idea to hit the fire button to bring up the screen before syncing the resistance. When I do that it will generally read a little higher than it should. I guess fire the button even for an instant is enough to had a little heat to the coil. :2c:

I have noticed the same mate

Even keep trying to lock the resistance seems to create heat & throw the reading out

I leave to rest for an hour at least now when I rebuild or sometimes over night

Have got fanatical about cleaning wire mating surfaces too including the underside of the screws

It has been a learning curve but is as simple as kanthal now

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Andria, I don't have any degrees in anything and usually adjust things using a sledge hammer, but TC is no big deal. It's a combination of temperature and power, that's it, no magic, just a little experimentation. If you can wind a coil and get the resistance you want, you shouldn't have any real problems. Don't be intimidated by the techies, geeks and degreed people over here.

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Andria, I don't have any degrees in anything and usually adjust things using a sledge hammer, but TC is no big deal. It's a combination of temperature and power, that's it, no magic, just a little experimentation. If you can wind a coil and get the resistance you want, you shouldn't have any real problems. Don't be intimidated by the techies, geeks and degreed people over here.

QFT. I'm no techie by any means and I'm successfully vaping on my Evic VT with Titanium. Winding and installing the coil is the same as with kanthal (just shooting for a different resistance). The controls on the Evic are super simple with the control on the top. You don't even have to push any buttons to adjust the temperature on the fly. I say go for it.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Ok, that sounds good. I've been building coils for over a year, and have managed to get so handy with wrapping the wires around the Kayfun's tiny screws, it doesn't even make me swear... much... anymore. :D And mounting a coil in an Achilles is pretty much identical.

I'm just so overwhelmed by all this "lock in" "TP" (which I don't even know what it means) "joules" stuff... it's like starting to vape all over again! :facepalm:

Too bad I can't just rent an Evic-VT for a while to see if I actually like it! :lol: Until I got these Achilles and discovered how much I loved them, but hate the no-clear-tank and having to unscrew the cap every hour (and it's not easy to get it started, I usually have to use the pliers) to check the liquid level and usually find it's just fine... I hadn't really thought much about TC, but when I heard the thing about TC meaning that when the wick is dry, it just won't fire, seemed perfect to me, a built-in easy way to know when my Achilles needs refilling.

It'll probably be my luck that about a week after I get a TC mod, I see a clear tank for the Achilles in some vendor's Accessories page. :facepalm:

Andria

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Has anyone tried cleaning their coils. I've read that you can clean them by running them under warm water and giving them a little brush. I would think that the shiny wire would be easier to clean then the acid etched stuff but I might be wrong. What do you guys know about that.
Yup. Remove the wick, wet an old toothbrush and brush across the coils. Works great for spaced builds especially. Rewick, juice it up and vape away. Works for shiny and etched!!

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

Andria

Andria
I can understand how you might be confused. We have a combination of absolute perfectionists, nervous nellies with overactive OCD glands and just plain folks who like good vaping here on ECF. It can be daunting for someone who is new to the concept of temperature controlled vaping to digest everything that's posted. All I can recommend is that you give it a try and see what you think. Once I found temperature control I haven't even thought about the possibility of going back to Kanthal.

Duane

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
It will fire but at a reduced rate so it doesn't burn the wick.

The only problem I see is if you like a hot vape. In that case you might crank the temperature too high and you might get a slight pre burn hit because TC is set too high. Nowhere burning though.

Regards
Tony

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Ok I ordered 35' of 26awg Unkamen Ti. Should be there when we get there if we ever get out of here, never feel like getting anything done at 95 and half the state, our side is on fire.
Attaboy
:lol:

Duane

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
It will fire but at a reduced rate so it doesn't burn the wick.

The only problem I see is if you like a hot vape. In that case you might crank the temperature too high and you might get a slight pre burn hit because TC is set too high. Nowhere burning though.

Regards
Tony

Ok; I actually prefer a vape that is just slightly warm, though I'm finding that the Achilles is much cooler, for some reason -- it's got so little airflow it seems like it ought to be much warmer, but if I turn up the wattage, it just makes the TH impossible even for this TH-lover to deal with -- just the nature of the Achilles, so I'm getting accustomed to a slightly cooler vape.

I got the info about the low-firing or lack-of-firing in the tootle puffer thread, when @USMCotaku was talking about how much he was enjoying his Evic-VT prize. As I said, I really hadn't considered that TC was anything I really needed, with my very low-end conservative vaping style, but that thing about it firing so slightly when the wick is dry, so i would know by the lack of vapor output that it needed more juice -- he mentioned how helpful that was since he broke his clear kayfun segment and had to use the stainless segment instead; that really got my attention, because of my Achilles having no clear tank option.

Andria

Reactions: awsum140

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Well yes. You will never get that offtaste while having some juice no matter how high you set TC. It's only when the wick gets completely dry and you TC is set too high.

And even then, it's nowhere near a real dry hit.

Regards
Tony

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
26awg 5 wraps 3mm right? Now I will have to decide which firmware to use. Doesn't sound like people are having much luck with the Ti test.

I would try it at 260-280f at first with firmware 2.2

Then you can upgrade to the beta test firmware 2.23 and run at 480-500f & get exactly the same results

I believe you can always revert to earlier software

Reactions: Landman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread