Another article on the Juul

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I'm getting better at keeping it from leaking after refilling. The juice needs to be pretty thin, or else it sticks to the sides and top too much, and hits get weak. Pulling out the pod and shaking it down 'thermometer style' gets it going. If thick enough, it needs a shakedown every other puff. juul juice doesn't have that problem, but I got one last good hit out of one that was basically empty by doing it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, my Juul is not firing correctly, which is causing my pods to flood and gurgle. Pax Labs has offered to replace the device and pay for the postage. So, as annoying as this defect may be, I cannot complain.

That isn't Good.

Were there any Symptoms before the problem Started?

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
That isn't Good.

Were there any Symptoms before the problem Started?

The performance just seemed to vary. It started with the second pod, actually. At first, I thought I did something wrong to flood the thing--maybe I did, but I don't know what it was. At any rate, I had contacted the company, but wanted to soldier through the other pods to see what it would do. I would rate the performance with the mint and fruit-flavored pods as somewhat anemic, but I don't care for those flavors anyways, so I chalked that up to my own tastes. Today, I put a brand new tobacco-flavored pod on, and the first three draws were great, but then the vapor quality seemed to diminish with each draw until it wouldn't do anything. So, now I'm convinced that my Juul is just one of the defective ones. Luck of the draw, perhaps.

In any event, they are willing to send me a new one, and I'm fine with that. Same thing happened when I first purchased an iStick 30W--the replacement is still working great. So, I remain open-minded.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
4. My reaction to the nicotine content surprised me. I was expecting to turn green with usage since I vape 6mg juice. That wasn't the case. I never experienced any symptoms of getting too much nic. No headaches, no nausea, no jitters, no palpitations, nothing.

This is absolutely baffling to me...

Thank you all for your reviews and testimonials.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
The performance just seemed to vary. It started with the second pod, actually. At first, I thought I did something wrong to flood the thing--maybe I did, but I don't know what it was. At any rate, I had contacted the company, but wanted to soldier through the other pods to see what it would do. I would rate the performance with the mint and fruit-flavored pods as somewhat anemic, but I don't care for those flavors anyways, so I chalked that up to my own tastes. Today, I put a brand new tobacco-flavored pod on, and the first three draws were great, but then the vapor quality seemed to diminish with each draw until it wouldn't do anything. So, now I'm convinced that my Juul is just one of the defective ones. Luck of the draw, perhaps.

In any event, they are willing to send me a new one, and I'm fine with that. Same thing happened when I first purchased an iStick 30W--the replacement is still working great. So, I remain open-minded.

I have a feeling the juice is getting stuck on the walls. I think I've found a good fix for that. I thought that mabe inadvertent squeezing has caused the pod to get thinner, so I squeezed a pod by the edge sides to make it fatter, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I don't have to shake the liquid down to the wick anymore. I'll let you know if that fix stops working.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I have a feeling the juice is getting stuck on the walls. I think I've found a good fix for that. I thought that mabe inadvertent squeezing has caused the pod to get thinner, so I squeezed a pod by the edge sides to make it fatter, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I don't have to shake the liquid down to the wick anymore. I'll let you know if that fix stops working.
OK, that fix lasts longer than the shake down fix, but not forever. However, I've discovered that there's no need to remove the pod. Sqeezing the edge sides of the mouth piece (I figure probably best low on the mouthpiece) with the pod on the device works great and is easy and quick. I now feel like I've got a great new small, lightweight, refillable device. Too bad the pods aren't pyrex, though.

I got very small amounts of liquid in the device a couple of times. I pulled cotton off of a q-tip to make the q-tip thinner, and that works real well for cleaning it out. Best with the cotton flared out from pulling, and twirling it down in there to reach the tightest spots.

@navigator2011 Maybe you'd be interested in investigated whether or not these tips can fix you Juul. I'd be interested.

Reactions: navigator2011

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
OK, I'll give that a shot later tonight. In a way, I hope it doesn't work for me--I don't think this thing should be that temperamental.
Just saw your post. Yeah, it shouldn't be so tempermental, but I'm happy with my workarounds. I don't know, however, if the problems you've been having are related to mine.

Reactions: navigator2011

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE

Thank you all for your reviews and testimonials.

It baffled me too Katya. I think it's just the fact that it's a weak little battery system compared to what I'm used to inhaling and I'd put it down after a couple of puffs satisfied because the nic was so high.I simply had no desire to chain vape it like I often do my other devices. So I was probably just self controlling the nic intake simply by not picking it up nearly as often as I do my others. I'm pretty sure if I took a nice long lung hit of 50mg on one of my devices I'd look like this------>:confused:

MrKai

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
Alameda County, CA
Glad I got you all thinking :)

As I said at the start when there was Very High Skepticism: "There is no reason to believe technology* could not solve the problems of the past" (more or less).

PaxLabs is definitely on to something and it is worth "inquiring minds" to figure out what it is so that the...benefits might be more widely realized. Everyone vapes for different reasons (me, I *love* that sweet, sweet nicotine. The smoke, not so much) and as such, a "better cigarette" might, for emotional/psychological reasons might be The Most Evil Thing Ever...but the way I figure it, if one could use "less liquid" and get "more satisfaction" then it is an all-around win, if you know what I mean.

As observed, it *isn't* 'merely' More Nicotine...because we've been down that path before and it isn't the same. I leave it to the intrepid to figure this liquid out so that folks can make a reasonable facsimile for themselves, likely ultimately saving money over all (if that's your thing) by using less "stuff".

-K

*in this case, chemistry, actually.

MrKai

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
Alameda County, CA

Often science and chemistry is counter-intuitive to "common sense" as it were. It works the way it works for reasons described in the patent. I may not be the best person to explain it (well) but I understand the claims, and usage seems to be bearing them out. Tho the total nic content is "high" you aren't effectively sucking on 5ml of juice at that concentration because the delivery is better - you can't get the same results (seemingly) with a straight "hi nic" juice (it is..."unvapable") at relatively low (normal cig levels as opposed to insane mod levels) because it doesn't vaporize the same way and the component vapor isn't the 'same'...if that makes any sense to you :)

Don't feel bad...according to PaxLabs, it was a 'surprise' to them as well...tho I don't doubt there is a *little* PTO 'hand waving' in there. Suffice it to say, it appears no one *else* figured it out before they seem to have had, so take that FWIW :D

-K

Reactions: Katya

cardsfan300

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2014
Florida
So has anyone been using this for a while? I am more interested in how long the pods last and the satisfaction factor as they claim. Not interested in refilling etc..just want to know if the juul works as advertised and if it is worth buying. I use an eroll now and am very happy with it..but if the juul really is a game changer..I want to try it. Can't find any new in depth reviews anywhere. Thanks!

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
I think the Juul probably is a game changer for current smokers that want to switch to vaping. The Juul certainly is more satisfying (in a cigarette sort of way) than other brands like Blu. At any rate, I have put mine up for sale because I have moved beyond the need for cigarette-sized devices, and I still love my Nautilus and Subtank. In any case, I found that the Juul battery lasts me about 11 hours on a charge, and one pod lasted about a day (give or take).

If you are already happy with your eroll, then I suggest you stick with the eroll.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So has anyone been using this for a while? I am more interested in how long the pods last and the satisfaction factor as they claim. Not interested in refilling etc..just want to know if the juul works as advertised and if it is worth buying. I use an eroll now and am very happy with it..but if the juul really is a game changer..I want to try it. Can't find any new in depth reviews anywhere. Thanks!
IMO, it is NOT a game-changer.

It's a nice alternative to a cigalike, or an excellent little backup device that would keep me from buying cigs if I'm out and about and my real device fails somehow, and its small enough to fit in my cellphone case, so no burden at all to carry. Oh, and it would also make a nice stealth device if/when that's needed.

I have yet to finish an entire pod on the device. I've tried three of the flavors (all except miint). Somewhat to my surprise, I like the bruule the best.

The juuce I diluted: I've vaped less than 2ml of the 6ml that I made. It's here on my desk and I rarely hit it. To me, that's always been how I test something: Have it handy to use (along with other stuff I know I like) and see how much I use it. Little conscious decision making goes into it that way; it's simply a question of what I reach for and actually vape.

FWIW, I'm mildly disappointed. Given the patent and the hype in the media, I was hoping for more. In light of the costs (especially the pods) I can't see myself recommending this to anyone.

I'm also not impressed enough with the whole "nicotine salt" thing to pursue trying to reproduce that.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I've used it a lot with refilling, but I have also given it a good try unmodified. Two potential problems are a bit of leakiness, and temporary outages that I think might be a problem with the automatic switch, maybe caused by my refilling pods. The leaking is not bad at all, just blow through the mouthpiece and catch the juice at the bottom of the pod with a paper towel to clear it. The outages have been short-lived, especially if I blow through the bottom of the device (with a pod in place) 'til it sounds like it's functioning smoothly.

My opinion of the salt juice keeps changing. It's too strong for me, and I think they'd do well to also offer a Juul Light. When I've made it weaker, adding PG/VG, I've enjoyed the bit different feel of the throat hit, and I do feel effects a bit quicker than freebase, but am disappointed that quicker delivery doesn't seem to be of any benefit for me, at least at this point, two years since stopping smoking.

I over-did it at first, testing it against high nic freebase, and taking in way more vaping, nic, and stronger throat hits than I normally do in a day. It got to where I kept choking on the Juul juice, but after laying off a couple days, I have no problem even with the full strength. The Juul throat hit extends lower for me, and I like the change, but it doesn't feel like an improvement for my vaping.

Except for the possible bugginess I described, I think the device itself is great. The Juul seems more powerful than the eroll, and a charge lasts longer. It's small and light, and now that I solved my problems with refilling, I've been using it a lot with my own juice. I will start to limit my use of it, as I do with my erolls, because I don't like vaping with a plastic tank.

To figure out how long a pod will last you, note that a pod holds ~0.8ml, and that you probably will take smaller and/or fewer drags than with your eroll. I like the tabaac juice, I dislike the mint and fruit pods (as I expected), and am hesitant to vape the bruule, because I worry about the level of diketones.

Reactions: Rossum

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
My refilling has been very successful at this point. I have been able to use juice just as thick, and even thicker than the Juul juice, without the juice getting stuck, either high up, or near the wick, or wherever that problem was happening (not sure where). I think what solved the problem was to not let the mouthpiece get stretched wider when removing it, so that it retains it's tight fit at the slots, and it squeezes the top of the tank, edge to edge. I no longer have the problem of juice getting stuck, or having to do the squeezing with my fingers. Problems with excessive leaking with refilled pods are a thing of the past, for me.

Reactions: DC2

cardsfan300

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2014
Florida
Thank you for your replies..I guess I will give it a shot. If I can use no more than 1 pod a day then it really wouldn't be all that expensive. I think if you set up auto order on their website you get 15% off your pod order. Wish there was a good you tube video review. There is only one out there at the moment..but pretty much just shows how the device works.

jdrancor

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2008
reddingk.com
Alright, I got a Juul, and it's alright. Not perfect, but it's alright, and in many ways they've made a unique and worthwhile contribution to the ongoing evolution of vaping.

Background. I've been vaping since 2006 or 7. It's been AHWILE. Basically since National Geographic ran the article that showed a guy with an epipe. I quit cigarettes altogether the day I picked up a vape. I started with those janky cigarette holder looking devices, and went on from there. I'm currently using an arctic tank with a 0.5ohm coil and a mech mod with an 18360 battery and Ahlusion VG juice. It's a strong low maintenance set up that I'm more or less happy with. The part I don't like about my current set up is the GIANT form factor, and the fact that it requires lung hits rather than mouth hits. Still, the Arctic hits well and is satisfying in terms of flavor and vapor. So that's the baseline.

Now, the Juul.

What's good. The most exciting thing to me about the juul is the form factor. It's great to see a company pursuing the small form factor in a serious way, and the Juul has the best form factor of all the small cigs. It's lightweight enough to hang in my mouth as I'm using my hands. The rectangular body sits flat in my pocket, and it basically diappears when not in use. GREAT! One of their stated goals was to make a cool looking ecig that looks nothing like a traditional cig, and they've succeeded in this respect. It's small and sleek, and would look good in one of those EDC photos. Handling it is great, I can smoke it with a light two fingered hold, which feels great, and can hold it in my hands and fiddle with it in a very satisfying way. It's nice to hold, and as an object, it's good, and to me that's an important aspect. Making it flat and rectangular was a brilliant move. The battery is inhale acutated and I have always loved the inhale actuated battery rather than the press button. Using a cig with no hands again is great. I'd rather not be holding a light saber if I can avoid it. The press button seems to have been a reaction to the unreliable inhale actuated batteries, and in terms of practical usage, it's fine. But the inhale actuated battery is really the gold standard, and the thing to aim for, because let's face it, it's better. So glad to see this, and the Juul has done a fine job with it. Battery is actuated when the cart is plugged in. The atomizer fires well, as previously stated, there's no need for a primer puff. It's solid. Usability wise, it's great too. Pop in a cart and smoke. Simple as it can be, and this is great too. Really good design. The charger is well made, simple usb plug in with a good magnet that the battery just pops right into, easy & quick. It recharges quickly and easily. The battery in this device is the best I've seen in such a tiny form factor.

What could be better. Mainly the the vapor & flavor (let's just call this the vlavor from now on, because the two are more or less linked) production, while pretty good, could be better. I think this is mainly due to the small battery. The flavor is minimal, and the vapor is just okay. I don't want to run the vlavor down too much though, because it's Good Enough For Now. If I inhale a mouthful of vapor, I get an alright cloud, about 70-80% compared to a mouthful of Arctic atomizer vapor, which is good, GEFN. If I do a slow long draw straight to the lungs, I get more vapor, but nowhere near as much as with an Arctic. The flavor is not there though, I think with more battery power it could be. Not great, but Good Enough For Now. Their proprietary liquid is fine, but, while there might be something to the nic salts and whatnot (I certainly could feel the nic hit my bloodstreat when I vaped it with my coffee in the morning) I think that the $4 carts are insane. Also don't like their opacity in terms of ingredients. Obviously, this is how they think they'll make their money, but in this world of rebuildable atomizers and custom juices, it's ridiculous to come out with proprietary juice. Ruyan tried that back in the day, it was silly then, and it's silly now. The carts should be MADE for refilling. That said, the carts are easy enough to pull apart and refill. No idea how long the atomizer will last, but I'm on my 3rd refill and it's still alright. First, I put in 90% VG caramel wildwood from Ahlusion, and both the vlavor immediately improved over their tobacco flavor. When I put in 90% VG Menthol Ward from Ahlusion, I could taste the menthol, but it wasn't super flavorful as it is with the Arctic atomizer. Their JUUL menthol is more flavorful though, and has a VERY strong nic hig. So I suspect that they're mixing their flavors and nicotine super strong to make up for the battery power. While I'm on the subject of what could be better, I'll say it again, the carts should be made for refilling. And the proprietary e liquid is silly. It's good liquid to be sure, and optimized for the device, but still, $4 a cart is rough. I can go through a cart in a day no problem, and that's way too much money to be laying out.

The only drawback on this device is the vlavor, but I don't see it as a huge drawback, it really is pretty good. It makes a great traveller, and while there would certainly be a trade off in terms of weight, if this had a bigger battery, I think the vlavor would be excellent. They could have stacked the batteries, made a square instead of a rectangle, still had a relatively small form to it, and really nailed the vlavor profile. But they chose to stick with the small lightweight design, and really, in this respect, they are stepping away from the vaping herd, and is their major contribution. What excites me most about the JUUL is that it could be the start of new innovation in the small form factor ecig. For the last 5 years or so we've concentrated on improving the vlavor, and to that end, the form factor has grown to accommodate the necessary battery and atomizer size for vapor production. We've dialed that in, we can get great vlavor, with minimal hassle, but the form factor has been pushed to the size. The JUUL is a major step forward in the form factor department, and a solid step at that, it's GEFN. I'm happy to have a traveller, and excited to see where this will lead. In a year or two, with a few iterations and some more potent batteries, this could be pretty close to perfect. The price is high, but when we start seeing innovations on this design, I'm sure it will come way down. I could see a device like this selling for around $10 or $15 no problem.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good looking traveller. Great for the bar or the coffeeshop. Excellent for puffing on while you write or work with your hands. Good job, JUUL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread