MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Nice going Uncle Willie .... :thumbs:

Oh yeah - just one thing left to do. Sneak over to that rat-face's garage tonight and put a pound of sugar in the gas tank of his new mower. I'd say you have enough bonus karma points over the guns to offset the sugar in the tank act. :rolleyes:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie

Oh yeah - just one thing left to do. Sneak over to that rat-face's garage tonight and put a pound of sugar in the gas tank of his new mower. I'd say you have enough bonus karma points over the guns to offset the sugar in the tank act. :rolleyes:

Mike, I think you know me well enough to know I'm not stupid enough to pull a stunt like that, especially so close to a confrontation .. and, I'm sure your joking anyway ..

Regardless of anything, two wrongs still don't make a right .. and, I'm patient .. time comes something will likely present itself .. ;)

Kim B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
STL MO
Update .. it's been a long morning .. knowing that speed was of the essence ..

.. apparently, a laxly enforced provision of the firearm transfer law requires that the seller keep possession of the goods until the FOID card is run and a 24 hour waiting period expires .. thus making the hand written receipt null and void .. so although the paperwork had apparently been filed, which I suspected, an official call to Nancy inquiring as to whether the dude had taken possession resulted in a yes answer .. the dude was then informed he must relinquish the goods back to her and begin the process all over .. she forked over the $300 / he reluctantly forked over the goods back to her ..

At this point, I was way past caring what anyone in the neighborhood thought about my involvement, so after the dust had settled some, I called her and asked if she really wanted to dispose of, would it not be a good idea to at least get another offer .. ?? She agreed, I called a long time acquaintance that sets up at shows .. he called her, came by half an hour later and left her with a good check for $5000, completing the required paperwork as well ..

I'm glad I did not check my blood pressure the last few days as I'm sure it was way up .. I'm still stressed .. nothing can really be done about the riding mower .. but, the good news is I personally was able to stay behind the scenes for the most part, she ended up with a fair offer / sale .. it was an eye opener for her without having to shove it in her face and I guess we can chalk one up for the Good Guys ..

I do appreciate all the input, friends .. I post the update since I know most of you would want to know what the closure of the story is ..

Glad you were able to do something about this Unc, the world's a better place because there are everyday heroes like you around. :)
1263896e99zncu2jq.gif

Last edited:

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida

.. apparently, a laxly enforced provision of the firearm transfer law requires that the seller keep possession of the goods until the FOID card is run and a 24 hour waiting period expires .. thus making the hand written receipt null and void .. so although the paperwork had apparently been filed, which I suspected, an official call to Nancy inquiring as to whether the dude had taken possession resulted in a yes answer .. the dude was then informed he must relinquish the goods back to her and begin the process all over .. she forked over the $300 / he reluctantly forked over the goods back to her ..

At this point, I was way past caring what anyone in the neighborhood thought about my involvement, so after the dust had settled some, I called her and asked if she really wanted to dispose of, would it not be a good idea to at least get another offer .. ?? She agreed, I called a long time acquaintance that sets up at shows .. he called her, came by half an hour later and left her with a good check for $5000, completing the required paperwork as well ..

I'm glad I did not check my blood pressure the last few days as I'm sure it was way up .. I'm still stressed .. nothing can really be done about the riding mower .. but, the good news is I personally was able to stay behind the scenes for the most part, she ended up with a fair offer / sale .. it was an eye opener for her without having to shove it in her face and I guess we can chalk one up for the Good Guys ..

I do appreciate all the input, friends .. I post the update since I know most of you would want to know what the closure of the story is ..
Well, it took me a bit to catch up, but I'm sure glad I did, cause I was fuming just like everyone else!
Willie, you handled this situation like a real pro! I'm so glad it resolved itself the way it did, and you were the catalyst that made it all happen! Bravo!!

a little something for all my porch friends
You have to click to picture to see it though....

That was a pure delight!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

Well done! $5K is a bit more than 300... :thumbs:

And she knows there are folk close by that will look out for her, too.

Mike, I think you know me well enough to know I'm not stupid enough to pull a stunt like that, especially so close to a confrontation .. and, I'm sure your joking anyway ..

Regardless of anything, two wrongs still don't make a right .. and, I'm patient .. time comes something will likely present itself .. ;)

To paraphrase Machiavelli (my medieval Italian is pretty much non-existent!),

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Yer a prince, Unc! No, cancel that. A KING! :)

Next thing to do is make up some flyers about what he (aka pond scum) did and start stapling them to trees and t-poles! :LOL

Glad you were able to do something about this Unc, the world's a better place because there are everyday heroes like you around. :)

I appreciate the kind words, however, I am not in the business of meddling in other peoples business .. and, I'll be honest, it's most likely I did what I did because I never liked the guy in the first place and this gave me an excuse to mess with him on the sly .. while my real, main motivation should have been her being taken advantage of (that's not to say I don't have compassion, it's to say that was likely the secondary motivation) .. IOW, I was motivated by anger mainly, where I would like to think I was motivated by compassion .. at any rate, it is what it is ..

I'm going to riff for a minute over the experience .. it's a sad commentary on the dregs of Humanity that are willing and able to take advantage of any other Human for their own personal gain .. I studied up on that topic last night and was appalled to find reports of care givers, home nursing personnel, contractors (not a surprise), cleaning services and more .. while I continue to believe the vast majority of the populace attempts to live by some sort of moral code, there is and always will be, a faction that preys on those that are too trusting, can be easily sucked in, are naïve, etc ..

And, in the area of protection, there is little .. and when there is, it's low down on the list of priorities .. or the folks that handle this sort of thing are spread too thin to really put the time and effort into something unless it's fairly major ..

I'll end with a brief story I think I told a couple of threads ago .. my across the street neighbor when I first moved to my home now, was an elderly couple .. I never really got to know him, because he passed soon after I moved in, but he had owned a car dealership, so they were fairly well off in retirement .. at any rate, his wife was a very active Senior .. she volunteered, she took care of her yard, she did her shopping, she got her hair done once a week, she was mentally sharp, just a solid, solid woman who made her own way even after her husband passed ..

Given all that, her son and daughter decided she needed to be in a Nursing Home .. I had no explanation for it, she seemed fine to me .. I believed, at least in theory, they decided they needed to take control, money wise .. so, they went into the legal process of having her declared unable to take care of herself and had her placed into a Home, taking over her financial affairs .. within 2 weeks, after being removed from the environment she had lived in for so, so many years, she passed .. I believe to this day, had she not been exposed to a germ ridden environment, she would have been around for several more years .. The "For Sale" sign went up in the yard less than 24 hours after burial ..

The moral of the story being .. it matters not if it's a stranger or a relative ..

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA

Ah Willie, that's perfect!! I'm so glad you posted this because it's been bothering me all day. You were able to get other people involved so it wasn't just your opinion that showed her what was going on and there was no need for a confrontation. Also, I'm sure she would want to do it properly anyway. She can figure out the neighbor for herself without feeling embarrassed in front of you. You can be our neighbor anytime!! The world needs more people like you!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Whether helping her was primary or secondary makes no difference to me, Unc. Ya done good.

And yes, too much of that kind of crap goes on, and too often. Echoing Janet, we do need more like you, willing to do what can be done to help others.

Maybe just loosen the blade nuts? :evil:

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

The only time I ever was picked up by the police and literally dragged home by the shirt collar was when I was caught putting gas in a neighbor's car. The neighbor was the town pharmacist and he was always bragging how good of gas mileage his VW Beetle got that he used to deliver meds to the people in town. He and my dad were friends and he was down at the house almost every evening. After hearing this every time he was down, I decided to change things up a bit. For about a week, would sneak down to his house and siphon out a gallon of gas. He would come down to visit my dad and complain that the Beetle started getting really lousy gas mileage. After a while, I went back and started putting gas back in his car. Again, he came down and was exclaiming that he didn't know what was going on. All of a sudden he was getting 80 to 90 miles to the gallon. It was shortly after that the Chief of Police caught me "putting" gas in the VW. Come to find out, my dad wasn't the only one that the town pharmacist was talking to about the gas situation.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I appreciate the kind words, however, I am not in the business of meddling in other peoples business .. and, I'll be honest, it's most likely I did what I did because I never liked the guy in the first place and this gave me an excuse to mess with him on the sly .. while my real, main motivation should have been her being taken advantage of (that's not to say I don't have compassion, it's to say that was likely the secondary motivation) .. IOW, I was motivated by anger mainly, where I would like to think I was motivated by compassion .. at any rate, it is what it is ..

The moral of the story being .. it matters not if it's a stranger or a relative ..

{{{Willie}}}, I think you have things a bit mixed up. Your compassion is what created the anger. It was just magnified because it was your crappy neighbor who caused the problem. Surprise! You're an old softie! And one who at least is willing to check into doing something about an injustice. Sometimes things turn out even better than you expected and it wouldn't have if you hadn't gotten involved the way you did.

Winetoastsmiley_zps54230eaa.jpg

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
The only time I ever was picked up by the police and literally dragged home by the shirt collar was when I was caught putting gas in a neighbor's car. The neighbor was the town pharmacist and he was always bragging how good of gas mileage his VW Beetle got that he used to deliver meds to the people in town. He and my dad were friends and he was down at the house almost every evening. After hearing this every time he was down, I decided to change things up a bit. For about a week, would sneak down to his house and siphon out a gallon of gas. He would come down to visit my dad and complain that the Beetle started getting really lousy gas mileage. After a while, I went back and started putting gas back in his car. Again, he came down and was exclaiming that he didn't know what was going on. All of a sudden he was getting 80 to 90 miles to the gallon. It was shortly after that the Chief of Police caught me "putting" gas in the VW. Come to find out, my dad wasn't the only one that the town pharmacist was talking to about the gas situation.

Too funny! :D You must have been feeling real proud of yourself :2cool: at least 'till you got nabbed.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Whether helping her was primary or secondary makes no difference to me, Unc. Ya done good.

And yes, too much of that kind of crap goes on, and too often. Echoing Janet, we do need more like you, willing to do what can be done to help others.

Maybe just loosen the blade nuts? :evil:

Ah Willie, that's perfect!! I'm so glad you posted this because it's been bothering me all day. You were able to get other people involved so it wasn't just your opinion that showed her what was going on and there was no need for a confrontation. Also, I'm sure she would want to do it properly anyway. She can figure out the neighbor for herself without feeling embarrassed in front of you. You can be our neighbor anytime!! The world needs more people like you!

I would like to think that all of us here would attempt to do the right thing if circumstances presented themselves as needing to be done .. as Yoda said “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” .. ;)

Kim B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
STL MO
Doesn't make a bit of diff to me what your motivations may have been Unc, bottom line is you did good. :)

I used to run a small cleaning business back in my working days, can't tell you how many senior customers I ended up with because they had contacted me looking for a new cleaning service because they were being stolen from by their present service.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
{{{Willie}}}, I think you have things a bit mixed up. Your compassion is what created the anger. It was just magnified because it was your crappy neighbor who caused the problem. Surprise! You're an old softie! And one who at least is willing to check into doing something about an injustice. Sometimes things turn out even better than you expected and it wouldn't have if you hadn't gotten involved the way you did.

Winetoastsmiley_zps54230eaa.jpg

You know, Janet .. you have always been so good at putting a different perspective on things .. like I always say, Mike's a lucky man ..

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Oh wow Willie - very sad to hear. This so reminds me of my MIL getting ripped off by someone that pretended to be her friend. We (my husband & I ) were tipped off by a neighbor and were very grateful that he let us know.
That's horrible!!

So when she wakes up and before I'll let her leave we're gonna have to battle Tukii again to get the cone back on:(
Glad she got to the vet and they were at least able to get some meds in her, and hope you're sleeping great now! Hope y'all got the cone back on ok without getting scratched! love your new banner, just don't want ya gettin in trouble hun with it bein so big. And TOREY is right, you do rule!!! I love how you love dat lil kitty :)

We have an air quality alert because of weather conditions and the fires out west. :shock: Only for vulnerable people, but I was planning to open the windows today.
oh dang, hope it don't get super bad. Glad you knew about the alert.

Actually, have a pup that seems to like her feet. She'll chew till it bleeds. Sometimes front paw,
My son's dog won't let anyone cut his nails, but he'll chew them off. Of course then they become the jagged daggers of death when jumping on or off your lap.

Cleaning Tori's room. Donkey had to go.
That donkey is cute! Love it on the mailbox
it was an eye opener for her without having to shove it in her face and I guess we can chalk one up for the Good Guys ..
(((((((((((Willie))))))))))) this was the perfect solution!!! So glad you knew what to do, or who to call etc, and had a friend who was able to buy the firearm. And yeah, Janet beat me to it. It was your compassion that made you angry!

You have to click to picture to see it though...
awwwwwww minion kisses!

If its Orgasms & Reo's would that be.... O reo's ? inquiring minds want to know.
well oreos can cause those! Specially the fudge covered oreos!!

Come to find out, my dad wasn't the only one that the town pharmacist was talking to about the gas situation.
oh that is too funny!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread