Snopes investigation of FB post claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Snopes dismantles a facebook post claim of a woman dying of lipid pneumonia from vaping. Well done, IMO.
My thoughts too! I was wondering how to respond to the story. My cousin posted it on my FB today because he was worried about me. I Googled the name of the person, who appears to be a woman, and from what I saw on an obituary, the name belongs to a man. Makes me wonder if the FB account is real.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
What bothers me is it was shared 47000+ times, this is just too easy a way for a twisted ANTZ to get a lie out there. If only 4 people see that many shares it will be ~200,000 people that now think that e-cigarettes can cause lipoid pneumonia and will be warning users and smokers of that "fact".

:facepalm:

Smittened

Feb 2, 2015
South Carolina
What bothers me is it was shared 47000+ times, this is just too easy a way for a twisted ANTZ to get a lie out there. If only 4 people see that many shares it will be ~200,000 people that now think that e-cigarettes can cause lipoid pneumonia and will be warning users and smokers of that "fact".

:facepalm:
So true!

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Well it's up to ~84,000 shares now, wonder how long it will be before it's "common knowledge". i was digging thru the reddit post linked in the post in new users and it turns out the Snopes article author is a vaper who is seriously digging into this.

KLaCapria 3 points 10 hours ago

As a vaper myself, I'd like confirmation either way too :)

:D

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Well it's up to ~84,000 shares now, wonder how long it will be before it's "common knowledge". i was digging thru the reddit post linked in the post in new users and it turns out the Snopes article author is a vaper who is seriously digging into this.

:D

I posted in that reddit thread a lot yesterday. One thing I find interesting is that the woman who made the FB post has not responded to a single inquiry about the case, even though tons of people have messaged her about it. It's becoming clear to me that she is just a troll or someone with an ulterior motive. She is supposedly a fund raiser for the American Cancer Society, so it's possible she is working as a disinformation agent for ANTZ. Or maybe she is just a sicko who likes to make up stories about dead friends for some unknown reason.

EDIT: She was also a Major in the United States Marine Corps. Yikes!

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Well it's up to ~84,000 shares now, wonder how long it will be before it's "common knowledge".
After the end of the snopes article they show how many views it's gotten. Over 13,000 yesterday, the day it was posted, and right now it says, "(Visited 37,426 times, 12,110 visits today)". Hopefully posts about the snopes article are getting a lot of shares.

Reactions: DC2

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
More fun, the facebook poster lists Specialties: Fundraising for American Cancer Society in her Linkedin profile, do to ACS propaganda she would have at least been receptive to any bad rumor about e-cigarettes.

I'd would've suspected something similar had she not said in her facebook post that the woman was her neighbor, and that she had just returned from her memorial service. Still, what you've said could very well be the case. Also, American Cancer Society propaganda likely is playing a role in so many people believing the story.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
lookey there, all it takes is ONE facebook post and look at the stir up you can cause...they say we live in a world of information, but yet nearly everyone that uses it seems to be a dumb ... with it...
The amount of information you have at hand does not magically change your IQ in any way.
In fact, it probably makes smart people smarter, and dumb people dumber.
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread