Not open for further replies.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I bought from MFS on 3/9/15. The card I used was involved in fraudulent charges made online and I was notified on 3/18/15 by my bank. I had to get another card. All this time I could not figure out what happened. This breach is the only thing that now makes sense. Wish I would have found this out sooner. I do not place blame on MFS for the breach. My money was returned to me. Just a real hassle to replace a card.

Reactions: AlexStiff

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
Well I just got my useless letter from Freedoom Smokes...
* Potential Security Breach...
* what I can do...recommendations what I can do to avoid this,
hmm..it was their end that got breach (their cc process party)...

I guess they really don't care about their customers...so long

Reactions: bruiser

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
I bought from MFS on 3/9/15. The card I used was involved in fraudulent charges made online and I was notified on 3/18/15 by my bank. I had to get another card. All this time I could not figure out what happened. This breach is the only thing that now makes sense. Wish I would have found this out sooner. I do not place blame on MFS for the breach. My money was returned to me. Just a real hassle to replace a card.
I had the same experience. No monetary loss but several hours on the phone and a trip to the bank to open a new account and regain access to my funds. I have always had good luck purchasing from MFS and it makes me feel bad that something like this happened to them. It must have been a hard letter for them to write and send out to their customers.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
I had the same experience. No monetary loss but several hours on the phone and a trip to the bank to open a new account and regain access to my funds. I have always had good luck purchasing from MFS and it makes me feel bad that something like this happened to them. It must have been a hard letter for them to write and send out to their customers.
I bought from them before I saw this thread and while I can understand the angst of those who had trouble I am very glad I had not read all the info because I suspect I would have been nervous about ordering but I am glad I did they are one of the places that will ship to Canada and no disrespect to our Canadian suppliers but they simple cannot compete in price or if they can I have not been able to find them yet. my son always said the only "really safe computer" is one that is not used and with the heavy forces lined up against ecigs and vaping I am surprised more trouble has not occurred.

Reactions: YoursTruli

LilZ

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2015
S,C,
PayPal does not cover items used for vaping. So, it seems unusual that PayPal would be used to make a MFS purchase. MFS is a reputable vendor with excellent customer service. I have ordered from them with no problems.

- Were the unauthorized charges in the name of My Freedom Smokes?
- If not, what are the names of the companies where the card was used and what was purchased?
- How did you know the charges had been made?
- What are the "excuses" made by MFS?
- Did you get the name and title of each employee you spoke with?
- Did you contact the credit card company?
- If so, what was the result?
- If not, why not?

In a separate post please tell us a little about you and your husband, your smoking history, and experience with vaping. It is also helpful to have your location, at least the state, in your ECF Profile.
There's been too many problems that people have posted about to think there perfect. I've had a few problems my self with them

COHgirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2012
Kansas
This may be related, I don't know for sure.

I placed an order March 17th, the day after they found the problem (I think?)
Today -7/6/15- my card was used for a $750 online order for a store out of Jacksonville. My card company declined the sale and sent me fraud alerts. My new card will be here in a couple of days.

I work retail and deal with charge backs for fraud often, maybe that's why I am not bothered too much by this happening with my card. It stinks but it happens. I don't put blame any website for being chosen by hackers to have their reputation tarnished. The website gets hurt as much as the cardholders.

AlexStiff

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Charlotte NC
www.myfreedomsmokes.com
Hello! We have received a few emails saying that cards have had unauthorized transactions again. As we have been taking a look into these claims, most appear to be from cards that were never destroyed and were obtained by the breech 2 months ago.
If you suspect that you have been targeted, please email christine@myfreedomsmokes.com and provide as much information as you can so we can pin-point your issue.

Thank you all for keeping us updated!

minkaz

Oct 8, 2012
Hallstead, PA
I've emailed Christine about the issue. (I also emailed several days ago via the contact form on your website but as of yet, no response) I didn't make any purchases during the period of time the breach was reported (February to March - I have orders in December 2014, April 2015, and July 2015). I never received an email concerning the breach - I learned of it after finding a couple of unauthorized transactions on my card this month. This leads me to believe either the breach was going on for longer than thought or it is an ongoing issue. While I understand this sort of thing can happen with any organization, the thing that annoys me is this was entirely avoidable in my case. Had I been notified, I would have taken precautions...

I've emailed Christine about the issue. (I also emailed several days ago via the contact form on your website but as of yet, no response) I didn't make any purchases during the period of time the breach was reported (February to March - I have orders in December 2014, April 2015, and July 2015). I never received an email concerning the breach - I learned of it after finding a couple of unauthorized transactions on my card this month. This leads me to believe either the breach was going on for longer than thought or it is an ongoing issue. While I understand this sort of thing can happen with any organization, the thing that annoys me is this was entirely avoidable in my case. Had I been notified, I would have taken precautions...
I just got hit with two charges from Team Beachbody yesterday after having problems ordering from MFS last week. I got 2 error msgs saying my card could not be authorized. Then I gave up and used a different card; oddly enough, the real charge for my order didn't hit that account until after I had the vapemail in my hands.

I placed my order from my work pc, and I work for a company under the Hearst umbrella, so it's not like I used a home PC with lax security.

I realize that most businesses get hit at some point, so I don't completely blame MFS for that.... But I do blame them for not notifying ALL of their customers in the spring. I didn't receive an email simply because I didn't order during the time frame of the first breach? That reasoning doesn't sit well with me at all! Had I been alerted, I too would have taken more precautions.

So sick of the digital age - now we have to go get cash out of the bank and go purchase/load prepaid cards in the amounts of the purchases we need to make??? Wtf??? I no longer feel comfortable using a prepaid card twice, once you've used it, that data is out there.

And since this happened at the point of sale, I could have still been out plenty of money before I could place my order - if the hackers or whatever had placed charges on digital goods, I would have been charged immediately rather than at the time the fraudulent orders were shipped.

Reactions: Nick N

cocoabellaRSD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2012
Texas
I made a purchase on 3/19/15 from MFS , on 8/9/15 I got hit with 2 separate fraudulent charges on my CC totaling $326.26 . The charges were to Team BeachBody. I rarely use this card. I did not receive the letter mentioned in this post of a breach in MFS's system. I have alerts on my card so I was alerted as soon as someone used my card. What a pain to have to cancel card, dispute charges , await replacement card. I am glad I found this post I was wondering where my info might have been scammed from.

cocoabellaRSD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2012
Texas
I just got hit with two charges from Team Beachbody yesterday after having problems ordering from MFS last week. I got 2 error msgs saying my card could not be authorized. Then I gave up and used a different card; oddly enough, the real charge for my order didn't hit that account until after I had the vapemail in my hands.

Erika,
Sorry you got hit too. I was hit after shopping MFS as well. Whoever got my card info charged to Team Beach Body also, for a tune of $326.26, in two seperate charges back to back. So I called my card co.cancelled card, am disputing those charges. Like you, I am now going to buy prepaid cards for my vape supplies. A real pain in the ....!

I placed my order from my work pc, and I work for a company under the Hearst umbrella, so it's not like I used a home PC with lax security.

I realize that most businesses get hit at some point, so I don't completely blame MFS for that.... But I do blame them for not notifying ALL of their customers in the spring. I didn't receive an email simply because I didn't order during the time frame of the first breach? That reasoning doesn't sit well with me at all! Had I been alerted, I too would have taken more precautions.

So sick of the digital age - now we have to go get cash out of the bank and go purchase/load prepaid cards in the amounts of the purchases we need to make??? ...??? I no longer feel comfortable using a prepaid card twice, once you've used it, that data is out there.

And since this happened at the point of sale, I could have still been out plenty of money before I could place my order - if the hackers or whatever had placed charges on digital goods, I would have been charged immediately rather than at the time the fraudulent orders were shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread