Want to Quit Smoking? Studies Suggest Vaping Daily Is Best Way to Kick the Habit for Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
From the article:

Linda Bauld, a professor of health policy and who is active with the World Health Organization, says these two studies have made valuable contributions to the growing literature on e-cigarettes.

“What this new research tells us is what e-cigarette users already know. The type of device, how often it is used and how much nicotine it contains all matter. Some devices will be effective to help smokers quit and others less so. Future studies need to maintain this focus and not treat all e-cigarettes, or all users, the same,” says Bauld.

My first thought: Nice job Linda, you just done went and alienated yourself from the WHO.

Second thought: Interesting that a researcher type would use the words "what users already know." That's very refreshing admission, while also being a plausible knock on science, or how knowledge is arrived at.

Third thought, that I didn't catch at first: I think you missed how valuable flavors are to those who are into vaping to quit smoking. A word search on the string of letters "flav" only had this come up once in the piece, and mentioned in passing. IOW, downplayed.

Fourth thought: The final statement of this (second quoted) paragraph from Bauld is so refreshing from both scientific and political perspective, I am nearly speechless.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
A sensible piece about vaping. Didn't manage to click the "This belongs on CNN" bit as you have to sign up to CNN to do it and another login is more than I want right now.

Same here; these articles that force you to login just to vote or comment give me such a pain. I tweeted it instead.

Andria

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Same here; these articles that force you to login just to vote or comment give me such a pain. I tweeted it instead.

Andria
Using FB, G+, or Disqus is easy... but these little podunk newspapers that want you to create an account just for them... um NO.

CNN, well I figured they might have a few other articles I want to comment on so I went for it.

DCBD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2014
USA
Using FB, G+, or Disqus is easy... but these little podunk newspapers that want you to create an account just for them... um NO.

CNN, well I figured they might have a few other articles I want to comment on so I went for it.

The login is for the "iReport" section of CNN, not a small newspaper. Sorry, I should have made than more clear. As for creating an account, it was worth the 60 seconds to get the message to CNN.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
The login is for the "iReport" section of CNN, not a small newspaper. Sorry, I should have made than more clear. As for creating an account, it was worth the 60 seconds to get the message to CNN.
Sorry I wasn't clear - wasn't meaning to imply this is a small newspaper, I was just responding to Andria.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention - hopefully it will make it onto CNN's main site, and maybe the tv.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
One of the few semi-positive pieces on ecigs by CNN.... many 'exploding batts', poison, gateway, oversight overdue, etc. etc. etc.
Do the anti-vaping articles get an automatic green light while pro-vaping articles like this one are test marketed, first?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Do the anti-vaping articles get an automatic green light while pro-vaping articles like this one are test marketed, first?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
If vapers were paying the same amount in taxes that they would spend as smokers medical authorities would endorse vaping and news coverage would be the reverse of what we see.

I vape 6 ml per day of 1.2 mg nic. which is costing me about $1. Cigarettes cost me $8 and may be $6 of that went for taxes. When I go DIY the daily cost will be about 25 cents per day. Preserving even a fraction of tobacco taxes appears very impractical so the stratagy is to discourage smokers from switching and preserve access to tobacco by children as they have always had. (All jurisdictions have laws against possession of tobacco by children which are never enforced.)

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Sofarsogood, that is exactly right. It is about the revenue and nothing, not one single thought in the minds of health officials or public servants leans towards public health or anything that may have a chance at benefiting it if it means a loss in revenue for their own causes or systems.

This is the thing that needs to come to light and have names attached to it, when those who are paid to serve through our tax dollars in the capacity of protecting the health of the public take positions based on the propagation of their own jobs rather than the true goal of their positions they are guilty of gross negligence of their duty and quite possibly of crimes against humanity. We are talking about levels of human harm greater than that of countries the US has sanctioned in the past for their misdeeds. The fallout here could very well see a great many of these "players" in prison for a very long time for the way they are conducting themselves in these jobs if the pressure stays up and they are taken to task when the last ball falls.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Sofarsogood, that is exactly right. It is about the revenue and nothing, not one single thought in the minds of health officials or public servants leans towards public health or anything that may have a chance at benefiting it if it means a loss in revenue for their own causes or systems.

This is the thing that needs to come to light and have names attached to it, when those who are paid to serve through our tax dollars in the capacity of protecting the health of the public take positions based on the propagation of their own jobs rather than the true goal of their positions they are guilty of gross negligence of their duty and quite possibly of crimes against humanity. We are talking about levels of human harm greater than that of countries the US has sanctioned in the past for their misdeeds. The fallout here could very well see a great many of these "players" in prison for a very long time for the way they are conducting themselves in these jobs if the pressure stays up and they are taken to task when the last ball falls.

Would be great if this happened but those who are in charge will be retired and two PHD candidates in the Cincinnati office will be blamed. The others will become consultants or lobbyists.

:facepalm::D

Reactions: firechick

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure
Is anyone forcing non vapers to take up vaping? As far as I know that is not the case. And we aren't hurting anyone but ourselves possibly. Why can't they just leave us alone? Millions of people all over the world are addicted to alcohol but I don't see anyone crying out for studies on it. Why is it that people can drink themselves to death but when we vape it's like Satan has descended to Earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread