Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Just as an aside, chai means tea, so saying chai tea is like saying tea tea.
So when I order a chai tea latte from Starbucks...

Does that mean I'm ordering tea tea latte?
Or does that mean I'm a teenage girl?
:laugh:

Thanks for imparting the knowledge though.
Knowledge never hurts.

And I do like my chai tea lattes.

It took me a long time to learn it's not pronounced "kai" though.
After dealing with that issue for years, I think I've finally got it down now.

Unless I'm still wrong.

Reactions: Lessifer

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
So when I order a chai tea latte from Starbucks...

Does that mean I'm ordering tea tea latte?
Or does that mean I'm a teenage girl?

Thanks for imparting the knowledge though.
Knowledge never hurts.

And I do like my chai tea lattes.

It took me a long time to learn it's not pronounced "kai" though.
After dealing with that issue for years, I think I've finally got it down now.

Unless I'm still wrong.
Starbucks... they like to create their own language, or rather pervert existing language. In most of the espresso drinking world a machiato is an espresso with a dollop of foam, not a latte with 4 ounces of caramel drizzled into it.

You are correct on the pronunciation. It's like the ch from cha-cha and the y from why.

I used to be a barista in a former life, and we actually brewed the tea to use for the chai lattes. Pretty much anything from starbucks comes in a pump bottle.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Years ago in Oregon, I had a co-worker with a cursing parrot. It sat on his shoulder every day at work, and spewed invective at anyone who entered the office. Even the managers thought it was hilarious ... :lol:

Of course, that was a long time ago, before Political Correctness and The Rise Of The Brittle People ... :(

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
Starbucks... they like to create their own language, or rather pervert existing language.

I went to a Starbucks, once, at a rest stop. I asked for a large coffee. The girl looked confused. I repeated. She asked me if I wanted a <insert arrogant term for a large coffee>. I had the equivalent of a large-farva moment. She eventually recognized her a$#h@!ieness and got me a godd@mn overpriced cup of caffeine.

I haven't been back since.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Joe Camel

I guess I just never "got" any of that stuff, or the marlboro rewards stuff either. Of course, I don't buy any of the "As Seen On TV" stuff either. To me, all that stuff was just tacky. Before there were Dollar Stores and such, I jsut never was interested in owning any of it, even if you gave it to me for free.

I don't even like wearing clothing w/advertising on it. Gross.

I'm sure there are others like me.....and then plenty who are not :lol:

Unless its something truly useful, I have no need or interst or use for most promotional items I receive. RTD Vapor once sent me a keychain flashlight, which was handy and I use to see my bolt lock keyhole at night.....now that is something i can actually use. Wish I had a few more of those. But I'm just not interested in refrig magnets, vape bands , etc. GAH!!! ugh

I went to a Starbucks, once, at a rest stop. I asked for a large coffee. The girl looked confused. I repeated. She asked me if I wanted a <insert arrogant term for a large coffee>. I had the equivalent of a large-farva moment. She eventually recognized her a$#h@!ieness and got me a godd@mn overpriced cup of caffeine.

I haven't been back since.

I ran into one of those "evangelistic" starbucks employees a while back when i went in there around Christmas....it was hard because he was so......um.......earnest. He was giving me the fair trade spiel, etc. I was polite because he was so young and like I said, so really earnest.

I spent the early part of my professional life in a "real" Madison Avenue advertising firm in NYC.......so I KNOW way more about marketing and advertising than most people would ever even WANT to know :lol:

I guess that's why I'm *utterly immune* to it all now. !!!!!!

In some formats, it can be artful in a good "fine arts" way, but those are far and few
between.

PS I once worked for a company that was into all that team building (fake) stuff and they gave us these fleece 1/4 zips one winter with company name on them.....put it thru the dryer ONCE ..... and it turned into dryer lint. :lol: I mean, I never did FIND the shirt again, it seems to have gone into the dryer screen and some out into the air somewhere? JUNK

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I guess I just never "got" any of that stuff, or the marlboro rewards stuff either. Of course, I don't buy any of the "As Seen On TV" stuff either. To me, all that stuff was just tacky. Before there were Dollar Stores and such, I jsut never was interested in owning any of it, even if you gave it to me for free.

Unless its something truly useful, I have no need or interst or use for most promotional items I receive. RTD Vapor once sent me a keychain flashlight, which was handy and I use to see my bolt lock keyhole at night.....now that is something i can actually use. Wish I had a few more of those. But I'm just not interested in refrig magnets, vape bands , etc. GAH!!! ugh

I ran into one of those "evangelistic" starbucks employees a while back when i went in there around Christmas....it was hard because he was so......um.......earnest. He was giving me the fair trade spiel, etc. I was polite because he was so young and like I said, so really earnest.

I spent the early part of my professional life in a "real" Madison Avenue advertising firm in NYC.......so I KNOW way more about marketing and advertising than most people would ever even WANT to know :lol:

I guess that's why I'm *utterly immune* to it all now. !!!!!!

In some formats, it can be artful in a good "fine arts" way, but those are far and few
between.

PS I once worked for a company that was into all that team building (fake) stuff and they gave us these fleece 1/4 zips one winter with company name on them.....put it thru the dryer ONCE ..... and it turned into dryer lint. :lol: I mean, I never did FIND the shirt again, it seems to have gone into the dryer screen and some out into the air somewhere? JUNK
One year Marlboro sent me a bottle opener shaped like a credit card for my birthday, it's metal so a little heavy, but I've had it in my wallet ever since and it's been used A LOT. Haven't really ever used anything else promotional that I can think of.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I guess I just never "got" any of that stuff, or the marlboro rewards stuff either.
Marlboro had some pretty sweet stuff that wasn't "branded" - I still have a ton of camping gear and a Buffalo Springfield styled leather jacket (with the fringes lol) that I got from them.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA

Its actually difficult to find plain T-shirts without logos. Don't want to be a free billboard ... :cool:

Oh well, I suppose we will all have "smart clothing" soon, so they can change the endorsement like they do with sports arenas .. :lol:

Reactions: Racehorse

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Joe Camel... there was a lot of speculation about subliminal advertising (in addition to appealing to children)... his nose was a bit "odd". I guess a lot of people say this is prevalent in advertising for a lot of the "sin" products, such as provocative images in ice cubes in alcoholic beverage advertisements.

Either way, I'm glad to hear that the First Amendment is actually still in force. It's hard to believe sometimes.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Joe Camel... there was a lot of speculation about subliminal advertising (in addition to appealing to children)... his nose was a bit "odd". I guess a lot of people say this is prevalent in advertising for a lot of the "sin" products, such as provocative images in ice cubes in alcoholic beverage advertisements.

Either way, I'm glad to hear that the First Amendment is actually still in force. It's hard to believe sometimes.
I have a theory that repression causes people to see what they really want to see.

However, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
One year Marlboro sent me a bottle opener shaped like a credit card for my birthday, it's metal so a little heavy, but I've had it in my wallet ever since and it's been used A LOT. Haven't really ever used anything else promotional that I can think of.

I use the bottom of my Provari to open bottles... or just about anything else hard that I can lever against my hand.

On the topic of this thread though, a repeal of a vaping ban is a huge thing and if it could sweep along behind the ban hammer that is falling all around it could maybe stem the tide some. Nice to think that maybe there is still some hope sanity isnt completely lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread