Status
Not open for further replies.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
How do you guys handle the craving for smoking. I carry a pack with me for everywhere I go. Do you all do that, or do you throw them away? What helps you to focus your mind away from smoking thought?
The right vaping setup was the key for me, as soon as I found a good juice and the Subtank Mini, that was the beginning and the end to my smoking, now I couldn't even smoke a cigarette if I wanted to.. As for carrying a pack, for me that would of been a bad idea, I put mine in a draw out of view, I threw them away months ago..

Maybe take a look at the Subox Starter Kit..

Once you find you enjoy vaping more than smoking, then you will be on the road to success as most of us here have found out..

Vigilantelove

Jul 12, 2015
How do you guys handle the craving for smoking. I carry a pack with me for everywhere I go. Do you all do that, or do you throw them away? What helps you to focus your mind away from smoking thought?

The cravings were never as bad as when I tried other methods of quitting. I started with a cigalike About four years ago, but that thing never worked for me. I went back to cigarettes in a month. This time it's been two months.

My biggest thing to get over was not knowing how long I could vape to equal one cigarette. Once I stopped worrying about that, and just vaped whenever I wanted, cravings mostly stopped.

The other two important factors are finding the right setup, and the right juice flavor. Setup, for me has been an Eleaf 50W VV/VW, Nautilus mini, Subtank Mini, and a few T3-S tanks for flavor testing.

The juice search is ongoing. Currently I've been switching between MBV French Toast and Halo Belgian Cocoa. I just got a few bottles from Strix Elixirs that I'm loving, we'll see if I still like them in a few weeks or if I get burnt out on the flavors.

Finding out your craving triggers and being prepared helps a lot. I know I need a cigarette when I first wake up, with coffee and after a meal. I make sure to vape at those times automatically, to keep myself from going back to smoking. I also do a sort of Jedi mind trick and tell myself: "You're not a smoker anymore, you don't want a cigarette." If I'm at work around all the other smokers.

Last edited:

Vigilantelove

Jul 12, 2015
started with a cigalike About four years ago, but that thing never worked for me. I went back to cigarettes in a month. This time it's been two months

I should make that clearer. I haven't smoked at all in two months, and I dont have the desire to smoke either. I think once you fine tune your setup, and find a juice you love, you'll be fine. Cigarettes will start to look really unappealing when you can get nicotine while tasting a flavor you love.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
I should make that clearer. I haven't smoked at all in two months, and I dont have the desire to smoke either. I think once you fine tune your setup, and find a juice you love, you'll be fine. Cigarettes will start to look really unappealing when you can get nicotine while tasting a flavor you love.
That is the key and is why vaping works so well, we have found something that is better than smoking and gives us our nic, job done.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Cravings will always subside. In my experience, they last 5 to 10 minutes and then vanish. The only times they lasted longer than this is when say drinking and my mind is hung up on having on smoke instead of waiting all of 10 minutes to let it subside.

I am dual user / proud moderate smoker, who has previously gone cold turkey from smoking. After stopping for say 5 years, I'd still get cravings for a smoke, and always found they would vanish after a few minutes. So, patience with yourself in the face of a craving is best advice I could give.

The further away you are from your last cigarette, the less cravings you have in a day. During my 5th year of non-smoking, I had cravings maybe once every 3 months. In year one of not smoking, they were about once a week.

If never ever having another smoke appeals to you, then I'd suggest upping nicotine in a vape to level where you'll replace cravings for smoking most of the time, in your first month. After that, assuming you are comfortable with nic level, you'll probably be down to once a week of having a craving, possibly even less. After a year, you'll likely be convinced you never want to smoke again. But you might (emphasize might) still get cravings, like once a month, or less.

A recent flavor I've tried and like is "black pepper." It has added kick to it because of the flavor, and while it taste nothing like tobacco, I find it satisfies cravings big time. But taste is so subjective and you could try black pepper and hate it. I'd suggest just exploring the millions of flavors that are available, and using that experience (of exploration) to overcome allegiance to smoking.

Hope this helps and best wishes to you.

Vigilantelove

Jul 12, 2015
If it's the lighter, it's probably the habits that make cravings difficult. I had issues with this too. Little smoking rituals we create for ourselves... I had my after dinner smoke was the worst craving. The only time I actually thought about cigarettes in a real way. I combat this by going to my spot by the window, where I would always smoke after dinner and vaping there. This helped.

Besides that, what also helped was my sense of smell returning and realizing how bad all the smokers at my job smell.

Reactions: Puff2K
Its far from easy, vaping helps in the beginning, better than going cold turkey, I couldn't of done that, but vaping isn't the cure for the cravings, however stick with it, the first week was the hardest, once I got through that it became fun trying all the different flavours etc.

If the cravings are too much for you, up your nicotine content, I started on 18mg nicotine to cure the cravings and was vaping constantly, and I mean constantly, morning till I went to bed at night, had to be 5ml (half a bottle a day), I'm now on 12mg when tooting and 6mg with lung hits.

Its easy to drop your nicotine content when you're just pure vaping, so don't be afraid of starting high, when all you can taste is the nicotine tobacco kind of taste, its time to drop a little, don't forget you can also mix flavours yourself, my Mrs vapes 12mg nic menthol with 0mg nic Apple 50/50, gives her about 6mg nic, for me I grab anything 16mg and 8mg that I fancy mixing together, banana and vanilla custard are one of my favourites, mix them together to give me 12mg nic.

Do away with the cigs all together, if I had those in my pocket, I would have chosen those over vaping a few weeks ago, out of sight, out of mind, it helps, as someone else on here mentioned though, it was 2 or 3 weeks into vaping that I got a chance to stand by anyone who smokes still, it was a guy I was delivering to, omg it smelled terrible, I couldn't believe I used to do that, explained to him that I couldn't be near him whilst he was smoking, he completely understood, one of my nicer customers.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
My biggest thing to get over was not knowing how long I could vape to equal one cigarette. Once I stopped worrying about that, and just vaped whenever I wanted, cravings mostly stopped.

This right here. This isn't smoking. And though apparently it's a rude shock to a lot of people, there are no "rules" -- you vape when you want to, as much as you want to, as strong as you want to, and if anyone has anything to say about it, you just respond "YOU WANT ME TO GO BACK TO SMOKING???" as loud as you can muster. :D If they say yes, then they don't care about you. If they do care about you, then obviously the answer is NO!!! :D If they have some smart-.... thing to say about how now you're addicted to vaping, say "no, vaping is the cure for smoking. But if you really want, I can stop vaping... and go back to smoking."

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Do away with the cigs all together, if I had those in my pocket, I would have chosen those over vaping a few weeks ago, out of sight, out of mind, it helps, as someone else on here mentioned though, it was 2 or 3 weeks into vaping that I got a chance to stand by anyone who smokes still, it was a guy I was delivering to, omg it smelled terrible, I couldn't believe I used to do that, explained to him that I couldn't be near him whilst he was smoking, he completely understood, one of my nicer customers.

"Out of sight" does not equal doing away with them altogether. For some, not having any cigarettes at all is a HUGE stressor, which would lead to going and buying some, and probably smoking them. "Out of sight" means, somewhere you're not going to either be staring at them constantly, or even accidentally -- I keep 'em in the freezer, behind the nic stash.

Just remember -- HAVING them does not mean you have to smoke them. It's your choice. If you're not capable of choosing your own best interest, why are you vaping in the first place? If you don't have them, then the choice has been taken away from you -- and THAT drives me completely bananas, having my choices taken away -- I just won't stand for it.

So don't be too quick to "do away with them altogether." Hidden away somewhere, they can make a terrific security blanket.

Andria

Reactions: Jman8

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
One thing I miss about smoking is the way the Bic lighter feels in my hand just at the light up. I guess I can hold a Bic lighter.
Try dripping. The act of dripping is a similar sort of habit :)
Seriously. Sort of like lighting up a fresh cig.
Vaping a tank is more like a 20 foot long cig :)
I'm surprised no one mentioned WTA in this thread. If the cravings are so bad you are thinking about relapsing, it might be better to add some WTA to your juice. I sort of wish I had known about it during those critical early days although I was able to power past that without it. I do have a bottle in the freezer, just in case :). And for my wife if she eve gets serious about vaping and quitting.

WTA Refill Liquids | E-Cigarette Forum

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I'm surprised no one mentioned WTA in this thread. If the cravings are so bad you are thinking about relapsing, it might be better to add some WTA to your juice. I sort of wish I had known about it during those critical early days although I was able to power past that without it. I do have a bottle in the freezer, just in case :). And for my wife if she eve gets serious about vaping and quitting.

I did mention it, quite a ways up -- it was the only thing that finally ended my cravings, when I returned from my smoking relapse.

I highly recommend WholeCig -- much cheaper than aroma's "unflavored 24mg", but every bit as good.

Andria

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I did mention it, quite a ways up -- it was the only thing that finally ended my cravings, when I returned from my smoking relapse.

I highly recommend WholeCig -- much cheaper than aroma's "unflavored 24mg", but every bit as good.

Andria
My mistake. I searched the thread for "WTA" and came up empty.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA

Is dripping complicated, though? Do I need a mech mod or a confusing attomizer? I don't really know anything about it. Otherwise, yep, I have some WTA on the way to me. It might be in my mailbox now and I'll go down to get it tomorrow on my way to a doctor appointment. Thanks to Andria for the tip on Whole Cig.

Reactions: AndriaD

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Is dripping complicated, though? Do I need a mech mod or a confusing attomizer? I don't really know anything about it. Otherwise, yep, I have some WTA on the way to me. It might be in my mailbox now and I'll go down to get it tomorrow on my way to a doctor appointment. Thanks to Andria for the tip on Whole Cig.
I drip with a Provari, limited to about 14W. Any mod will do. Something heftier than an eGo battery :). You need to learn to build a coil and wick the coil. Or some people have a local shop build the coils for them, at least the starter coil.

Dripping is kind of ritualistic. I thought it looked like a PITA until I did it, and realized the ritualistic value.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I drip with a Provari, limited to about 14W. Any mod will do. Something heftier than an eGo battery :). You need to learn to build a coil and wick the coil. Or some people have a local shop build the coils for them, at least the starter coil.

Dripping is kind of ritualistic. I thought it looked like a PITA until I did it, and realized the ritualistic value.
The dripping atomizer is actually very simple. In most cases. A couple of posts to bind the coil to the battery circuit. A cap with some sort of air flow vents. You can drip through the mouthpiece or remove the cap. There are tons of Youtube videos reviewing drippers and illustrating coiling methods. Or have a local shop show you in person. Even if you end up paying $30 for a dripper you could have bought online for $20, the in person instruction is worth it (and how I bought my first dripper even though I had studied things here)

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
The dripping atomizer is actually very simple. In most cases. A couple of posts to bind the coil to the battery circuit. A cap with some sort of air flow vents. You can drip through the mouthpiece or remove the cap. There are tons of Youtube videos reviewing drippers and illustrating coiling methods. Or have a local shop show you in person. Even if you end up paying $30 for a dripper you could have bought online for $20, the in person instruction is worth it (and how I bought my first dripper even though I had studied things here)
Thank you for explaining. It sounds intriguing although I can't do it in my current circumstances (if you saw my table you'd understand lol). It's one of those more advanced things that's on hold for me to try to explore at a later time.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
The craving for me ended when I realized I would never be a smoker again, after 5 days with a Halo Triton kit. I do smoke a few on holiday, but not because I have been craving them for 6 months; I just want one during certain situations. I like the smell and taste of cigarettes- not American made cigarettes with the carpet glue fire ......ant, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread