Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Been making a little bit of progress on my first DNA200 mod. Here is a picture of the milled buttons and rear cover. Still lot's to do but thought some of you might like to check it out. The buttons are black titanium and the front and rear covers are black and white M3 Mokume.

Concept:

eYzf2fL.png

Milled Parts

wPBdAw0.jpg
Thats some sweet looking metal...... mod looks pretty classy too!

jonniemac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Rosemount, MN
jmgcoder.imgur.com
Thats some sweet looking metal...... mod looks pretty classy too!

Thanks Mike! I have next week off and plan to spend it in the garage/shop so I should be able get this one and the first 3D printed version of it done as well.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
My Zephyrus Came today :) Rocking a dual coils TI build @ .14
I made a csv file for the Ti here :) TCR | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
This Dna 200 with the 1300 Gens Ace has great battery life :)
Now if I could only make a custom screen file that says Steamer I'd be all set :)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
Inconceivable!

Wait, you're at 44mm? That's just about the width of Peter's latest little pinch mod, aka the humpin'.

Simply amazing work Turbo, that's tiny

yeah, it's nice and small but it's kinda on the thick side. next one I may go thinner and wider. same overall volume but distributed differently. now with evolve possibly allowing 2s instead of 3s, that changes everything again though, 2s will require a completely new approach, my brain hurts already, building this mod I think I spent half the time fabricating and the other half staring at the components and materials and just thinking... I swear there was smoke coming out of my ears at one point at least, and I still haven't fully figured out how I'm doing the door yet :lol:

I will be curious to see the final wire routing from the chip...they are so fat that I had to angle mine correctly prior to tinning as the process created an unmovable .25" that was un planned for.

I've accounted for the wiring although it's still going to be a bit challenging. a few things to keep in mind though is the dna200 can be limited to much less than 200 watts and I laid everything out to use very short leads for everything. the longer the whole circuit path (from ground to load and back to the positive) the higher gauge needed. my whole circuit path from battery to load and back is extremely short so a lighter gauge wire would do, plus I'll be using solid copper wire instead of stranded for most of the wiring, which reduces space requirements too. I'll be very happy running this thing with 100watt preheat, hell I'm pretty happy with a dna40 as it is, this thing will blow that away at ONLY 100w :)

Your aluminum sled would be a perfect example of a printed part that would make your build easier, and just as magnificent.

yeah man, you're right about that, but honestly I couldn't really imagine everything to the last detail of exactly how I winded up building this before hand, it's just kinda coming together as I built it. maybe I could build it virtually in my head too, but most times I build stuff I don't really know exactly how it's going to wind up until I actually start building it. here the whole sled was an afterthought really, originally I planned to epoxy the chip in place :) now I could see if I decided to build another, then I could see digitizing the sled to reproduce it I guess, but as a one off prototype I'm not sure it's the best way for me. I haven't even played with any kind of 3d modeling software in ages...

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
now with evolve possibly allowing 2s instead of 3s
Really? I guess I missed that. I'm still hoping they'll do a board closer to the older form-factor, maybe 50 watts (which is more than enough for 97% of vapers) that runs on a single cell, but has most of the software features of the DNA200.

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Really? I guess I missed that. I'm still hoping they'll do a board closer to the older form-factor, maybe 50 watts (which is more than enough for 97% of vapers) that runs on a single cell, but has most of the software features of the DNA200.
The question was asked and John said "Well, like Brandon says, we are always working on new things." DNA50/60/70? - DNA 200 Early Adopters Forum

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Yea...I don't think I'll be able to unsolder this. So mad. And a broken screen....blah
You may be able to pull the PVC housing off with the pins in place, turn round and replace the right way round. It will probably always come off with the balance plug after as it never glues well, but if you are not changing batteries...

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
yeah, it's nice and small but it's kinda on the thick side. next one I may go thinner and wider. same overall volume but distributed differently. now with evolve possibly allowing 2s instead of 3s, that changes everything again though, 2s will require a completely new approach, my brain hurts already, building this mod I think I spent half the time fabricating and the other half staring at the components and materials and just thinking... I swear there was smoke coming out of my ears at one point at least, and I still haven't fully figured out how I'm doing the door yet :lol:

Don't worry Turbo, I prolly live walking distance from ya, I'll just walk over and take that thing off your hands while you ponder 2S :rolleyes:

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Yea...I don't think I'll be able to unsolder this. So mad. And a broken screen....blah

Bummer, i once nearly lost my mind trying to desolder a 3x3 6 pin led, so i feel your pain.

Worst case, just cut the pins off the bottom of the connector where it goes into the board, then individually desolder/remove/clean up each pin/hole.

Would have to buy a new connector obv, but maybe you could try to contact evolv and see if you could get them to sell/send ya a spare connector and new screen.

Pdizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2014
Alberta
You may be able to pull the PVC housing off with the pins in place, turn round and replace the right way round. It will probably always come off with the balance plug after as it never glues well, but if you are not changing batteries...
I could try that. @mikepetro any tip on screen replacement?

Reactions: SlickWilly

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Reactions: SlickWilly

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member