Wire...? What wire?

lJrUrbc.jpg

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
I'm quite late to this thread, didn't read thru all of it, here's my 2 cents on Kanthal, and it's not a safety concern.

I used KA1 for quite some time and it worked well...up until the time I started using NiChrome, it ramps up much quicker than K, produces slightly more vapor and flavor, the biggest difference is it's longevity...my NiC builds outlast the Kanthal by a mile, way slower gunk buildup.

.75ohm, 26 gauge NiChrome n80, 2.5mm, 8 wrap, Cellucotton (Rayon)
Using Kayfuns 18-24mg strength

I have many spools of Kanthal A1 in various gauges, if anyone is in need I'd be happy to send it along.

Reactions: zoiDman

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
And no, I don't attempt building with 16AWG wire, let alone recommend it. It's harder than bending nails without the use of a machine to do it. Many a coil jigs have died to that stuff. The 20AWG KA1 wire is my 2nd favorite to the 22AWG N80 followed by the Ni200. I don't like N80 24AWG by itself, hence the reason the 36AWG is there.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I used KA1 for quite some time and it worked well...up until the time I started using NiChrome, it ramps up much quicker than K, produces slightly more vapor and flavor, the biggest difference is it's longevity...my NiC builds outlast the Kanthal by a mile, way slower gunk buildup.

.75ohm, 26 gauge NiChrome n80, 2.5mm, 8 wrap, Cellucotton (Rayon)

Hmmmm.... that sounds like it's really worth checking out, can you recommend a vendor?

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Hmmmm.... that sounds like it's really worth checking out, can you recommend a vendor?

Temco all the way. They have a pretty good shipping speed as well as processing payments. I ordered my wire, within 10 minutes the order was processed, shipped, and arrived about 1.5 days later. And yes, I did say 1.5.

Reactions: Lessifer

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I really wasn't very worried about NiChrome 80.

Because Chromium Oxides are Very Stable and most would consider them Inert in the Temperatures Range that people use a Coil in an Atomizer.

Once Again, Breathing the Fumes coming off a Dry Burning Coil, No Way. But that goes for ANY Coil Material. Or ANY Metal alloy for that Matter.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521

Because Chromium Oxides are Very Stable and most would consider them Inert in the Temperatures Range that people use a Coil in an Atomizer.

Once Again, Breathing the Fumes coming off a Dry Burning Coil, No Way. But that goes for ANY Coil Material. Or ANY Metal alloy for that Matter.

That goes without saying. Inhaling any fumes from anything normally is / should be perceived as dangerous. That comment particularly stands true to fumes given off by ANY metal / metal alloys.

Reactions: zoiDman

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY

I don't worry about temperatures. What consernes me is, are the base metal and its oxides soluable in eliquid.

Only an idiot would breathe fumes off boiling metal. Natural selection baby :)

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Like the title says, how confident are you that vaping using kanthal as a heating element is safe? Theoretically it should be (we heat it way below the vaporization temperature), but are you concerned that trace amounts of metals are inhaled by vaping using an RDA that has a kanthal coil?
Are you saying that metal vaporizes below 600°F?

GoBlue88

Jul 10, 2015
Then I don't see how trace amounts of metal could get inhaled

Neither do I, hence my position that theoretically it's safe, stated in my first post. However sometimes your theory is wrong, or perhaps someone could provide evidence suggesting I was right/wrong.

I vape everyday and am using a material in a context for which I am unaware of any direct research as to the health impacts of the material in that context. So I made this thread.

Reactions: WillyZee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread