Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Someone needs to make a table top coil twisting thingamabob, holding a drill is too much work and having to pull a trigger is even harder :p
Working on it. So far, it's a contraption of aluminum bar stock, stepper motors and kanthal coils. But I have hopes for it eventually...

Reactions: Rabbit Slayer

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
ft seems to have some Clapton precoils:

$9.41 Kanthal A1 Coiled Resistance Wire for Rebuildable Atomizers - 26*2/32 AWG / 0.4mm*0.4mm*0.2mm*5m / 5.77ohm/m at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

2893100-1.jpg

$8.85 Clapton Nichrome Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (30-Pack) - 26/32 AWG / 0.4mm*0.2mm dia. / 0.55ohm / 22.5mm*21.5mm leads at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
2899100-2.jpg

josdanarm

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2015
I have 26awg Clapton coils in my goblin mini and love them. I have tried them many dif ways andfor me the flavor and vapor is amazing. I would get nicrome 80 for the core wire and kanthal for the Clapton portion. Get enough wiretho make plenty of mistakes because chances are your gonna. I personally prefer the 26 and 36 Clapton it fits every device I use. An easier idea for you may be tiger wire I use it regularly as well and it's much easier and way less time consuming. For me that's 24 awg and .5 ribbon twisted very tightly. Older wire but still a good one.

ph0kused

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA
Claptons are cool looking and they seem to make for a great vape, but Im not sure I like the trade off for the longer cool down time. I take pretty big hits off my straight coils and Ive come close a few times to dry burning without factoring in a cool down time. I use high VG and I am meticulous with my wicks so Im assuming that more metal with a longer cool down time is just going to have me rewicking every 3 puffs lol.

Not the case, just sayin. (Regarding the wicks). I'm the same way, I swap wicks when I flavor change. Plus I don't use many different types of ejuice, mainly just 1 brand and 1 flavor...OMG's w't'f' juice. I still swpa wicks once every 3-4 days just from OCD keeping things nice and new.

However, built my first claptons last week, fused 24g nichrome anarchist wire, wrapped with 34g kanthal. Ran it single coil for a bit, 5 wraps, came out to .2ohm - ran duals and it came out to .10 - singles are cool, dual coil clappies with 24g n80 fused with 34g kanthal is a bit too hot for me. Plus it eats batteries like nothing... I run a sig 150w box mod mostly, so I had no issues powering the dual clappies.... but I will say on the wick side, I didn't burn it for an entire week!

Because the fused clapton coils pick up sooooo much flavor, you can tell instantly when the wick is getting SORT of dry... Fused claptons are the best for flavor chasing... Staggered staple coils, alien coils, staggered staple helix coils, etc - all preform right around the same... they definitely hard to make... took me 2 days of failing before I mastered my first staggered staple coil. Just touching on the wicks, the fused claptons don't burn through the wick like you'd think. For any vaper that has a mod and an RDA, and some good VTC4's.... the fused claptons are a must-try... just to try. Don't get me wrong, I still love my normal 24g n80 anarchist wire, just a normal dual coil 4/5 wrap for my 'go-to' quick build when i need something fresh.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

ThatGuyIvory

Jul 23, 2015
Warsaw, Poland
Any idea what I could do with NI200 clapton wire?Made with 0,4 and 0,2 wire. I ordered Kanthal clapton, but by mistake got that one and I am not into subohming. That wire has near to zero resistance, or am I wrong there?
If You have a TC device then go ahead and mess around with it. If not - AFAIK there is nothing You can do with it, You can't use Ni200 in regular mods.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Just throwing this out here, I've noticed Claptons with very thin gauge wire on the outer hit tend to work better for me, especially at lower watts. You can use 40 gauge if your eyes are up to working with frog hair, and it's a dream once you get it set up.

Thank you. I was wondering if doing 28g wrapped with 34 or 36 would be ok to get smaller coils that weren't such juice hogs.

Reactions: yuseffuhler

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Thank you. I was wondering if doing 28g wrapped with 34 or 36 would be ok to get smaller coils that weren't such juice hogs.
If your eyes are up to it, 40 gauge wrapped around 28 is great and doesn't require more than 30 watts or so if you're running higher resistance builds. 28 with 36 would be nice too, and it's easier to work with.

Reactions: roxynoodle

ThatGuyIvory

Jul 23, 2015
Warsaw, Poland
Ive got a subtank build in right now, 26 gauge clapton with a 34 gauge outer. 1.0 ohms at 15 watts and it's very very smooth.
As I like a (very) airy vape and even fully open airflow on Subtank with RBA base is barely enough I need a bit more power there and that usually causes spitback. I'm not getting along with it quite well. :c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread