Are YOU a Tootle Puffer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Morning folks - just a question to set the ball rolling this fine day - what do you all think of the kayfun mini for proper tootle puffing .... a 14mm rta. I never even knew they existed but came across them this morning. Your thoughts?
Kayfuns are some of the best flavor producers out there, and fairly easy to build... Great to have in the vapeocalypse stash

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
Thanks for those descriptions. Now I know I'm not ready to buy one yet. I am definitely not to a point where I know how, or even want to build my own coils. I actually have a Kanger Subtank Nano and so far, it is NOT for me. I much prefer tootle puffing. I don't really care for the super warm vape either that I got with the Subtank, I like my vapes to be cooler. So I'm assuming from what I've just read, that the Kayfuns have a warmer type vape as well?

rasmith1959

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Guthrie, OK
Thanks for those descriptions. Now I know I'm not ready to buy one yet. I am definitely not to a point where I know how, or even want to build my own coils. I actually have a Kanger Subtank Nano and so far, it is NOT for me. I much prefer tootle puffing. I don't really care for the super warm vape either that I got with the Subtank, I like my vapes to be cooler. So I'm assuming from what I've just read, that the Kayfuns have a warmer type vape as well?

Not necessarily, it all depends on how you build your coils and at what you have your volts/watts set for. I build my coils using 28 gauge Kanthal wrapped on a 2.5mm coiling jig, with 6 wraps which works out to approximately 1.5 ohms. I use Koh Gen Do cotton for the wick and vape at 8 watts and it's about the same as using one of my old ProTanks, except the flavor is much better....

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
Not necessarily, it all depends on how you build your coils and at what you have your volts/watts set for. I build my coils using 28 gauge Kanthal wrapped on a 2.5mm coiling jig, with 6 wraps which works out to approximately 1.5 ohms. I use Koh Gen Do cotton for the wick and vape at 8 watts and it's about the same as using one of my old ProTanks, except the flavor is much better....

Ok, that just reaffirmed that I'm way too new to attempt that. :confused:

But very good info for the future!

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States

What wattage are you vaping the Nano at?

Reactions: TrollDragon

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
What wattage are you vaping the Nano at?

Well, I've only tried one tank-ful with it before I decided to come back to it later. LOL. I was going anywhere from 10watts to 30watts. I think it was recommended for around 20? I fooled around with it quite a bit and just wasn't happy with it. I later learned that it's better for lung hits vs. MTL hits and I MTL. But not sure if that was the whole issue.

It's not nearly as hard as it sounds. Ask @AndriaD, we used to tell her the same thing :p

I would like to believe you, but.... it sound really hard!!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
So I'm assuming from what I've just read, that the Kayfuns have a warmer type vape as well?

This. I use 29ga just because 28ga is so slow to heat up, but I also make coils for my kayfuns around 1.6-1.8Ω, and the vape is just right; just ever so slightly warm, never hot -- I take long slow hits, so I can't use coils that are too low in resistance, or those long hits just get too hot. But the flavor from Kayfuns is just immense, also the throat-hit (if you raise the coil high) -- I had to use a slightly lower power setting until I got used to the kayfuns' vape, the TH was so great. After trying to get anything like flavor or throat hit out of T3S's or Mini PT2's for a couple months, the kayfun was a GODSEND! And after I got used to it... I never could get anything out of a T3S or a Mini PT2 that even APPROACHED a decent vape. I've got all those old BCC's in a big ziplock in the cabinet now. I'll certainly never use them again.

I don't recommend a kayfun 4 for new builders; I've heard they have a ton of parts and lots of settings for this that and the other thing. I'd highly recommend a kayfun lite plus; the clones are now about $15. Tobecos are my favorites, because you can adjust the 510 screw to make it longer if you need to, without it causing the mounting block to get loose.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

It's not nearly as hard as it sounds. Ask @AndriaD, we used to tell her the same thing :p

Yep. It's really not hard at all -- I started out rebuilding with T3S's and Mini PT2s, and those things are a huge PITA to rebuild, they're so tiny. Kayfuns are a snap.

Andria

ETA: and you don't need a coiling jig or japanese cotton; I use a drillbit to wrap my coils around, and you can get organic-cotton cotton balls at Walgreens for $2.99 a bag -- the japanese cotton actually wicks better, but the taste is identical.

Last edited:

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Well, I've only tried one tank-ful with it before I decided to come back to it later. LOL. I was going anywhere from 10watts to 30watts. I think it was recommended for around 20? I fooled around with it quite a bit and just wasn't happy with it. I later learned that it's better for lung hits vs. MTL hits and I MTL. But not sure if that was the whole issue.

I would like to believe you, but.... it sound really hard!!

Im not sure about the nano but the mini came with 2 coils. The .5 ohm coil was installed in it and the 1.2 ohm coil is in the box. Put the 1.2 ohm coil in it and turn it down to 10 watts and give it a try. Higher ohm coils gives cooler vapes. It can be used as a MTL if you want, just adjust the airflow to how you like it. I prefer the lung hits and keep the mini's on wide open airflow but thats just me.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
Think long and hard about moving up to kayfun lites and kayfun V4's. First off if you do not build coils yet then this is not for you. They come with no coils installed and you have to build and wick a coil. Next get ready to ditch all your protanks and tootle puffing gear your using now. The flavor production on the kayfuns both lites and the ver 4 are so superior to what your using now that you wont want to vape the older gear anymore.
How do I know this, well up to April, beginning of May all I vaped was CE5's and protanks. I have over 30 ego batteries, hundreds of CE4's and 5's, around 50ish T3S's and MT3's, handful of protanks and a bunch of other tootle puffing gear and around the end of April I ordered a kayfun lite and the kayfun V4. The afternoon they showed up I built a coil for them, wicked them, vaped them and could not vape my old gear any more because they paled seriously in performance. Then I had to get a couple cloupers and Smok M65's so I could vape them at 10 to 13 watts, where to me they performed the best.
So think long and hard before moving to that next vaping step. The flavor and performance is so good that there is no turning back. Whats even worse is it gets even better after that. You try the Lemo II's and Kanger subtanks at 20+ watts and they blow the kayfuns away on performance and then your mod womping.

Thank you Doc but I think you have me mistaken with someone else. I outgrew the CE4's in less than a week, the Geni tank and Nautilus in about a month. I have been using all versions of Kayfun, and several other RTA's and RDA's for well over 3 months. :) The only reason I asked for thoughts about the KF mini is because I don't like to take the big boys when I am out of the house, which admittedly is not often. I have an itaste vv - you know the square stick - and that is what I like to take out with me. Very few people vape here so if they saw me carrying something very elaborate people might think I am doing drugs or something. :D So I like to be discreet. I do have Mini protanks, even a couple of Aspire K1s but to be honest I have really come to hate coil heads, even though I do rebuild them. The mini protanks gurgle and spit, the K1s are a little iffy. I thought if I could get such a small RBA with kF performance - wow, that would be tootle puffing heaven. :)

Last edited:

rasmith1959

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Guthrie, OK

It's not as hard as it sounds, especially if you use a coiling jig like the Coil Master. Here's a video that shows just how easy it is:

Review By Martyn Parker - Coil Master

That's usually the hardest part, the rest is easy from there....

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
Im not sure about the nano but the mini came with 2 coils. The .5 ohm coil was installed in it and the 1.2 ohm coil is in the box. Put the 1.2 ohm coil in it and turn it down to 10 watts and give it a try. Higher ohm coils gives cooler vapes. It can be used as a MTL if you want, just adjust the airflow to how you like it. I prefer the lung hits and keep the mini's on wide open airflow but thats just me.

Ah! That is very helpful! I will try the 1.2 ohm, yes it came with both, at 10 watts when I get home tonight. Thanks for that advice! I just might turn into a sub-ohmer after all!

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I have the Ivogo one and it works well, the deck is really tiny to build on and you have to top fill it since the fill port is useless. Order some spare plastic tanks as well, they do break.

Full length on the iPOW2
800x1000px-LL-72e19a58_KangertechIPOW2.jpeg

I would get a Flash e-Vapor VS instead, much easier to build, fill and maintain. It provides a much better vape with the adjustable airflow screws. You will require two little pieces of mesh to roll up for feeder wicks from the tank to the coil. They don't have to be oxidized and pretty much last forever, that is if you don't loose one of them down the sink when cleaning the tank. Then just roll up another and you are good to go.
flashi-vs-jpg.462932

FT and FC have both units available, some of the cheaper Kayfun mini's rust, be sure to check the descriptions. ;)

Thanks so much for your input. So are these Flash e-Vapor VSs sort of genesis kind of atties?

Yes, the KF mini in its full configuration is really very long but I believe you don't need to use all three parts.

Last edited:

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Thanks for the tangerine recommendations. I *believe* the lady who made the juice I got first uses Capella's, but maybe not exclusively, and maybe this stuff wasn't. I like the Capella's flavors I've tried so far, and I ALMOST threw a bottle of the sweet tangerine in my order from last week, but I chickened out at the last second. I guess I should have gotten it. Oh, well, maybe next time.

I'm actually craving the fruit flavors in this hot weather. The only problem is I feel like I've had too much sweet by the end of the day. A couple days ago I was wishing for some cool cucumber or green pepper! LOL! In the winter, I'll probably want nothing but the heavy dessert flavors. I don't think I'll ever get tired of chocolate covered strawberries or peaches, though. ;)

~Lannie
Capella's mango at %15 with %2 sweetner is good and so is Capella's Honey Dew Mellon.

I must say thank you lannie. After you got me to thinking about this i went ahead and mixed up 60 ml of mango last night, gave it three hours in the untrasonic speed steeper and tried it today. The taste of this vape is like eating fresh mango's. Im dripping it in a mutation X at 30 watts and the flavor is just exploding on it!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Thank you Doc but I think you have me mistaken with someone else. I outgrew the CE4's in less than a week, the Geni tank and Nautilus in about a month. I have been using all versions of Kayfun, and several other RTA's and RDA's for well over 3 months. :) The only reason I asked for thoughts about the KF mini is because I don't like to take the big boys when I am out of the house, which admittedly is not often. I have an itaste vv - you know the square stick - and that is what I like to take out with me. Very few people vape here so if they saw me carrying something very elaborate people might think I am doing drugs or something. :D So I like to be discreet. I do have Mini protanks, even a couple of Aspire K1s but to be honest I have really come to hate coil heads, even though I do rebuild them. The mini protanks gurgle and spit, the K1s are a little iffy. I thought if I could get such a small RBA with kF performance - wow, that would be tootle puffing heaven. :)

Last night, I was charging all my boxes, so I broke out the Sigelei Zmax to vape on... and after a few months of nothing-but-boxes I was amazed at how small and light it seemed! It was my first "big honkin mod" but it's actually quite small and very lightweight. And if someone wants replaceable batteries, it's hard to beat. I've had it for well over a year, got it in April '14, and it's seen some pretty hard use, and been dropped several times... and it still works just as perfectly as the day I got it. For tootlers I'd say it's just about perfect.

Andria

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014

Ooops, thought I was replying to the right post :shock:

Ever tried a kayfun lite on a Spinner II? It works! What I been using for my go places set up is the Evic VT with one of my subtanks on it. Fits the front right pants pocket perfectly and easy to pull out for a stealth vape in Walmarts cereal aisle :thumbs:

Reactions: misswish1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread