Titanium wire, vaping and safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapealone

Jun 16, 2015
Well why don't we put things in perspective?

Minimum purity for grade 1 is 99.45% or it isn't grade 1. Period.

Stealthvape is selling grade 1 Ti with a purity of 99.8947% (check published analysis sheet)

The difference between the minimum and best quality grade 1 Ti I was able to find is mere 0.4447%

What TCR effect will have that small difference have in real life usage? I have no idea but I doubt it's very high... Yet the stealthvape Ti already costs twice as much.

Can you imagine the cost of 99.95% pure titanium? No vendor is going to offer that. It's too cost prohibitive.

So basically, among grade 1 wires, you won't find a bigger difference in purity than 0.4447 unless someone is cheating with grade 2... Does this affect vaping performance?

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
In real life I don't care:)
However, as a hobbyist, I think that purity vs resistance vs tcr is not that simple.
I have just read (tried at least:) an interesting paper ;) suggesting a formula to approximate Ti resistance with know impurities. Applied to two elements only and disregarded others. And used two experimental factors too.
Bottom line: the Ti% in present is not enough to classify grade. All the possible impurities should be below treshold.
Line below the bottom line:
Ti as element has a resistance of 0.42 and TiGr1 is between .5-.55. Tcr changes rather similarly but decreasing.
And all because of the impurities.
Not as if it matters just interesting

Last edited:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
In real life I don't care:)
However, as a hobbyist, I think that purity vs resistance vs tcr is not that simple.
I have just read (tried at least:) an interesting paper ;) suggesting a formula to approximate Ti resistance with know impurities. Applied to two elements only and disregarded others. And used two experimental factors too.
Bottom line: the Ti% in present is not enough to classify grade. All the possible impurities should be below treshold.
Line below the bottom line:
Ti as element has a resistance of 0.42 and TiGr1 is between .5-.55. Tcr changes rather similarly but decreasing.
And all because the impurities.
Not as if it matters just interesting
Yes, there are limits for every type of impurity.

For scientific purposes:

Grade 1 minimum:

Fe max 0.20%
C max 0.08%
N max 0.03%
H max 0.015%
O max 0.18%

Stealthvape Ti:

Fe = 0.03%
C = <0.01%
N = <0.01%
H = 0.0053%
O = 0.05%

Regards
Tony

vapealone

Jun 16, 2015
Yes, there are limits for every type of impurity.

For scientific purposes:

Grade 1 minimum:

Fe max 0.20%
C max 0.08%
N max 0.03%
H max 0.015%
O max 0.18%

Stealthvape Ti:

Fe = 0.03%
C = <0.01%
N = <0.01%
H = 0.0053%
O = 0.05%

Regards
Tony

Wow:) They ain't kiddin'

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
And to think ... I have been perfectly happy vaping on a simple 28 AWG Kanthal - 1.8 ohm single coil and feeding it 10 watts of power.

Am I missing out on a much better vaping experience by not using titanium wire, temperature control and playing around with 'nickel purity' settings?

This whole vaping thing is starting to get very complicated, to say the least!

Reactions: AlaskaVaper

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Btw Tony,
Is it me missing your well documented DNA 200 building project or someone is using your nick @ shapeways
No, that's really me on shapeways and my build project is done and vaping strong. It was just so easy to do, I didn't think it was worth it to post building pics. Didn't even take me an hour :)

And to think ... I have been perfectly happy vaping on a simple 28 AWG Kanthal - 1.8 ohm single coil and feeding it 10 watts of power.

Am I missing out on a much better vaping experience by not using titanium wire, temperature control and playing around with 'nickel purity' settings?

If your goal is to stay away from analogs and you're succeeding, you're golden.

If you want to have some fun and look at this more than just a smoking cessation aid, TC is fun and has many benefits like lower, controlled heat to avoid liquid decomposition, dry hits and charred wicks.

Regards
Tony

vapealone

Jun 16, 2015
No, that's really me on shapeways and my build project is done and vaping strong. It was just so easy to do, I didn't think it was worth it to post building pics. Didn't even take me an hour :)

I am afraid it means that you don't plan to take it apart, undo all the solders etc and start again just to document it for lurkers like me :blink:

At least a few close up and details perhaps? Either here or on the DNA 200 thread?
Pretty please...:nun:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
tchavei .... Thanks for the reply.

My simple form of vaping has kept me off cigarettes for the last 17 months. I still have a nicotine addiction which requires me to vape 18mg Nic juice, but at least I don't cough my lungs out every morning anymore ... I'm not out of breath anymore either.

vapealone

Jun 16, 2015
tchavei .... Thanks for the reply.

My simple form of vaping has kept me off cigarettes for the last 17 months. I still have a nicotine addiction which requires me to vape 18mg Nic juice, but at least I don't cough my lungs out every morning anymore ... I'm not out of breath anymore either.

Like Tony said, if you are satisfied then this is it.
You don't need to change especially now when the industry is rapidly changing.
I think for most of us here it has become a sort of hobby. Following the news, experimenting etc.
Sometimes I think I have an addiction addiction as I can go without nicotine or vaping as such but I probably need something to be enthusiastic about:)

Last edited:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I am afraid it means that you don't plan to take it apart, undo all the solders etc and start again just to document it for lurkers like me :blink:

At least a few close up and details perhaps? Either here or on the DNA 200 thread?
Pretty please...:nun:
Lol. That would be overkill.

I'm planning on changing the machine screws holding the board with self tapping ones. I'll take a few pics when I do :)

Regards
Tony

Reactions: vapealone

Madnapali

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2009
Northeast Ohio, USA
Haven't checked back in a few days, but I didn't see anyone address this:
I see people vaping in the 300F range, which would be super low for ni200 as I vape 400-480 in ni200.
A lot of us are using titanium wire on boards that only support nickel. The temp will need to be a lot lower due to a completely different TCR curve.

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
I am thinking of trying a contact coil today. 8 wraps 2.5mm 26awg what do you guys think with Ti of course. Have heard quit a few people using them with success. Should come out about .35
I've tried everything. Twisted, contact, clapton and everything works provided you dry burn it accordingly (safely) to eliminate the shorts. Is it worth it? I'm not sure. The clapton takes too long to heat up, so I'll try it again if I ever get a DNA200. Right now I'm running a simple non-contact coil with .40mm wire in my Tilemahos tank and it's awesome; great flavour and vapour. This is easy to build and with such a thick wire you can get the turns very close together, to the point where they're almost touching.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
I've gone the other way lately: 28awg x 3mm Ti coil cools way faster than all the crazy twisted stuff I was playing with over the last year or so. My coils are staying way cleaner with the lighter gauge wire. Like, twice the longevity! (And I really can't tell much of a difference in flavor)

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Yeah I been just using 5 wrap 26awg 3 mm space coils. Just thought I would go for a higher resistance I see if I go 3mm I could hit .4 which one guy said actually makes the Ti mode on the SXM stable. thought I would give it a try. With the coilmaster it is really easy building a contact coil if it is as good.

jks89

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2015
Vermont, USA
How come the sx mini appears to work better with Ti in Ni mode (discounting the offset) than in native Ti mode? It's freaking linear! It should easier to implement than ni? What's the problem?

Maybe simple math isn't so simple sometimes for some people? Or maybe all 510 connectors aren't equal and are one of the weakest points in a TC mod design?

I remember reading somewhere along here that the 510 pin was definitely a weak point in TC, when the Dicodes was being discussed and how they had stated something about it better to have a fixed pin than a spring loaded. I wonder if you've hit (at least of it) on the head with the 510 being the weak point. If they're spring loaded, I imagine the spring would be a factor as well.

Accuracy could indeed be overrated in vaping. Repeatability is probably more important

Agreed! As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if I'm actually vaping at 450F as long as 450F is always 450F. Assuming, of course, that we're still within "safe" parameters.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Well I did it. I wrapped an 8wrap 26awg at 3mm contact coil, pulsed it on 7w and used the screwdriver method to get it to glow very slightly from the inside out. Came in at .43 and I am vaping it low to break it in a little in Ti mode at 375 12J. It is much more stable then the .28 coils were and seems to be vaping pretty well.

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

WideO

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2014
Belgium
www.wide-o.net
Hmmm, I'm now wondering what I'm doing wrong? I'm using Ti1 mode at 450°F - admittedly a bit higher than 430°F I used to use for NI200 - and am getting a great vape. There are loads of variables I suppose, and for my setup/way of vaping it works fine. For completeness: SXMiniM, 24g Ti1 (Zipipv), 6 wraps (maybe 5, forgot), spaced, 0.21 ohm, 4mm ID, preheated at 570°F, 24J, Lemo2, 75/25 juice, full airflow. That said, I seem to be in a minority?

Not complaining obviously, just curious why it seems to work where so many state their Ti1 setup works a lot better in Ni200 mode.

Reactions: Quantum Mech
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread