Status
Not open for further replies.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Why do you think that? If I was new to vaping and didn't know what I like, maybe. I know what ratio I like though, if it's high VG or pg I hate it. 50 50 plus or mine 10, never will change, hasn't in a year?

Thanks rule I will check out Sally :)

When you check out Sally's, make sure you're getting squeeze bottles that have the little red caps that snap over the nozzles, so they can stay sealed.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
When you check out Sally's, make sure you're getting squeeze bottles that have the little red caps that snap over the nozzles, so they can stay sealed.
Thanks again - sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I've been through 2 500ml of NT juice, and those are the same bottles they used I think. Perfect :)

Reactions: TraceyS

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
A good thing to have, also, are a couple graduated cylinders. I make flavored juice. So, I measure all flavorings with syringes and blunt tip needles. But for the VG, PG, and nic, I just squeeze the desired amount into the graduated cylinder. A calculator is also handy, to keep track of the cumulative total.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
A good thing to have, also, are a couple graduated cylinders. I make flavored juice. So, I measure all flavorings with syringes and blunt tip needles. But for the VG, PG, and nic, I just squeeze the desired amount into the graduated cylinder. A calculator is also handy, to keep track of the cumulative total.
Awesome idea...i also got a scale on the way and will try measuring by weight. If that doesn't work out I have other uses for the scale (coffee, cooking), but that was the main reason I got it.

Reactions: TraceyS

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I know several local commercial juice makers who are using weight. It's very accurate, for making consistent batches, repetitively. I've never done weight mixing, for my personal DIY stuff. I started out using volume measuring, and just kinda stuck with it. Close enough, for me.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Why do you think that? If I was new to vaping and didn't know what I like, maybe. I know what ratio I like though, if it's high VG or pg I hate it. 50 50 plus or mine 10, never will change, hasn't in a year?

Thanks rule I will check out Sally :)
In that case just ignore the man behind the curtain :)

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Have you ever worried about leaving concentrated flavoring or nic on the sides of the cylinder? I have, so I don't use the cylinders for mixing. I don't know if it's a real world problem, just something I didn't want to think too hard about.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Have you ever worried about leaving concentrated flavoring or nic on the sides of the cylinder? I have, so I don't use the cylinders for mixing. I don't know if it's a real world problem, just something I didn't want to think too hard about.

No, it's not something I worry about; because the cylinders are washed well following every mixing session.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Does anybody know where to get larger empty plastic bottles ideally dropper bottles? I'm talking like 500ml

My goal is to mix a very large batch of 6mg unflavored to use as my base for diy..

I get my Nicotine, VG & PG from My Freedom Smokes and they sell a "Yorker Spout" cap for $.69 each. Fits on their PG & VG plastic bottles. They work great!!

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
No, it's not something I worry about; because the cylinders are washed well following every mixing session.
What I'm suggesting is that when you pour a relatively tiny amount of nic or flavoring into the cylinder, but it ends up on the cylinder wall, it will not end up in your final mix. The fact that it will end up in your sink when you wash out the cylinder is not the concern. Or actually, it is:)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I get my Nicotine, VG & PG from My Freedom Smokes and they sell a "Yorker Spout" cap for $.69 each. Fits on their PG & VG plastic bottles. They work great!!
Not an MFS fan myself, at least their nic. That's good to know though, but I'm more interested in big bottles to hold juice, not dripper tops for VG/PG etc :) Sallys has me covered. Thanks again for the heads up!

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
What I'm suggesting is that when you pour a relatively tiny amount of nic or flavoring into the cylinder, but it ends up on the cylinder wall, it will not end up in your final mix. The fact that it will end up in your sink when you wash out the cylinder is not the concern. Or actually, it is:)

No, it's not really something I think about. All the DIY juice I make for myself is 6mg, which is pretty mild. I do make 15mg for Ms Rule, occasionally. Still not super high. But I'm pretty thorough about washing out my cylinders and syringes, after each mixing session.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
No, it's not really something I think about. All the DIY juice I make for myself is 6mg, which is pretty mild. I do make 15mg for Ms Rule, occasionally. Still not super high. But I'm pretty thorough about washing out my cylinders and syringes, after each mixing session.
Let me try one more time... let's say you are mixing up 100ml of juice in a 100ml cyllinder. Your recipe calls for 1% of a particular flavor. Let's say you squirt 1ml of flavoring into the cylinder, and half of it sticks to the wall.

If a half ml sticks to the wall when you wash out the cylinder then you only mixed 0.5%, not the 1% you think you mixed. The same could happen with nic, where your juice ends up with a lower concentration than expected.

As a general rule, when you are mixing tiny concentrations of various fluids in an interim mixing container, you want everything reasonably well mixed when you pour it into your final container, or at least not stuck to the container walls. Unless you can cap your cylinder and vigorously shake it, I don't think you can do that.

Edit: I know from observation that up to 2-4ml of eLiquid remains in a 100ml cylinder after the initial pour. The exact amount depending on my patience and if I pre-warmed the VG (I only use a cylinder to measure large amounts of VG)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Let me try one more time... let's say you are mixing up 100ml of juice in a 100ml cyllinder. Your recipe calls for 1% of a particular flavor. Let's say you squirt 1ml of flavoring into the cylinder, and half of it sticks to the wall.

If a half ml sticks to the wall when you wash out the cylinder then you only mixed 0.5%, not the 1% you think you mixed. The same could happen with nic, where your juice ends up with a lower concentration than expected.

As a general rule, when you are mixing tiny concentrations of various fluids in an interim mixing container, you want everything reasonably well mixed when you pour it into your final container, or at least not stuck to the container walls. Unless you can cap your cylinder and vigorously shake it, I don't think you can do that.

Edit: I know from observation that up to 2-4ml of eLiquid remains in a 100ml cylinder after the initial pour. The exact amount depending on my patience and if I pre-warmed the VG (I only use a cylinder to measure large amounts of VG)

I agree. But it's not something I've ever considered a problem. All I do is one of two things. After putting all ingredients into the cylinder, and before pouring the contents of the cylinder into my bottle, I either:
A. Stand the cylinder in a warm water bath, for a few minutes.
B. Stand the cylinder in my ultrasonic cleaner, and run it for a while.
Both methods warm the juice in the cylinder enough to make pouring pretty thorough.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I agree. But it's not something I've ever considered a problem. All I do is one of two things. After putting all ingredients into the cylinder, and before pouring the contents of the cylinder into my bottle, I either:
A. Stand the cylinder in a warm water bath, for a few minutes.
B. Stand the cylinder in my ultrasonic cleaner, and run it for a while.
Both methods warm the juice in the cylinder enough to make pouring pretty thorough.
OK... just wanted to make sure we were on the same page as to the potential problem I was talking about.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
OK... just wanted to make sure we were on the same page as to the potential problem I was talking about.

No, I never pour mixes from the cylinder into the bottles at room temperature. Just about everything I make is 50VG/50PG. But even at that ratio, transferring is lots easier when it's warmed a bit. Plus, it shakes better, once it's bottled.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
The cylinder sounds like a good idea. The only real reason I want to try weight is to make it quicker and easier and less messy, which a cylinder would accomplish to an extent as well. I really don't enjoy syringes and my DIYs take forever. But for now, my goal, for being a lazy sloth, is to mix a large batch of 6mg unflavored, and just mix flavorings into that. Because, I vape <6 up to 6, a combination of 3 and 6 each day; so whatever nic ends up in a bottle between those two is fine. This will make trying flavors a lot easier and quicker, since I'm lazy, and haven't found many if any recipes I want to duplicate yet. So being able to just mix flavorings into the base and be done, would be cool until I get a few recipes I really like. Then I can go hog wild with bigger batches and probably ditch the 6mg base method.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
The cylinder sounds like a good idea. The only real reason I want to try weight is to make it quicker and easier and less messy, which a cylinder would accomplish to an extent as well. I really don't enjoy syringes and my DIYs take forever. But for now, my goal, for being a lazy sloth, is to mix a large batch of 6mg unflavored, and just mix flavorings into that. Because, I vape <6 up to 6, a combination of 3 and 6 each day; so whatever nic ends up in a bottle between those two is fine. This will make trying flavors a lot easier and quicker, since I'm lazy, and haven't found many if any recipes I want to duplicate yet. So being able to just mix flavorings into the base and be done, would be cool until I get a few recipes I really like. Then I can go hog wild with bigger batches and probably ditch the 6mg base method.
The reason I never seriously considered weighing is... what do you do if you over-pour? Some people double stock their flavors and nic, using smaller dropper or squeeze bottles or whatever, but it seemed to me it was more work to figure all that out than to just clean a syringe for each component of the mix. And keeping track of all the specific gravity's since I do a lot of my mixing in my head (using percentages). In many cases I figured I would still end up with syringes and.or pipettes in order to avoid that. I'm not saying it's not a path of least resistance, just that it never seemed that way to me. YMMV but you need to think through the over-pour problem up front, for however you store all your components now.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

I find that I will alter the flavor strength of my juice, often, depending on things like: time of day, how I feel, type of atty I'm using, particular build in the atty, etc. but the fact that I vape 6mg nic remains constant. That's why I alter my juice by using the 6mg unflavored juice I always have on hand. I make my juice according to the same recipes I've tweaked over time. But will adjust or dilute them with the unflavored. I find that I do this often, particularly with tobacco type mixes. I'm a big fan of RY4s. I always have a Reo loaded up with one of my several RY4 mixes. But sometimes, I'll want 'full on, in your face' flavor. Other times, I may cut it back as much as 50%, when I want a mellow, just a hint of flavor vape.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
The reason I never seriously considered weighing is... what do you do if you over-pour? Some people double stock their flavors and nic, using smaller dropper or squeeze bottles or whatever, but it seemed to me it was more work to figure all that out than to just clean a syringe for each component of the mix. And keeping track of all the specific gravity's since I do a lot of my mixing in my head (using percentages). In many cases I figured I would still end up with syringes and.or pipettes in order to avoid that. I'm not saying it's not a path of least resistance, just that it never seemed that way to me. YMMV but you need to think through the over-pour problem up front, for however you store all your components now.
Meh, very good point. I may wind up just using said scale to weigh my coffee each morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread