iPV4 Exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin O'Brien

Jul 29, 2015
Hey All-

Long time reader, first time poster. FYI, two days ago when taking my battery out of my ipv4 with a brand new battery in it mind you, my connection sparked and the battery vented. Then the battery lit on fire as well as the entire battery casing on the mod. The batter then "poofed" and burnt a hole through my bed comforter where it was laying. It looks like an IED exploded in my bedroom. WTF?!

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Sounds like you put one battery in correct and the other incorrect, shorting them to each other. I don't know it the IPV4 has protection for this, but I doubt it. It probably only has reverse battery protection in the event you put both batteries in wrong. Most dual battery devices have this flaw.
Not sure about this one. I had one battery in correct and one incorrect one late night. Ipv4 just would not power on. Took of the cover looked at it, slapped myself in the forehead "DOH" moment... took it out flipped around put it in, powered up like normal.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Hey All-

Long time reader, first time poster. FYI, two days ago when taking my battery out of my iPV4 with a brand new battery in it mind you, my connection sparked and the battery vented. Then the battery lit on fire as well as the entire battery casing on the MOD. The batter then "poofed" and burnt a hole through my bed comforter where it was laying. It looks like an IED exploded in my bedroom. ...?!

Sounds kinda fishy to me. Batteries don't just "spark" and catch on fire. Did you have batteries compatible with the IPV? Did the batteries have a proper charge? Are both of the batteries the same brand? Was the mod on when you were putting the batteries in? What do you mean by the battery just "poofed"?

Sounds too weird to be true IMO.

Reactions: Wraith504

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Be very careful with these type of batteries as there is lot of energy stored in a 18650.

Take your time as these devices are powerful and expensive to replace.

As long as you were not hurt that is the main thing.

Lesson learned.... we have all flubbed up in one way or another in this great hobby...

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Hey All-

Long time reader, first time poster. FYI, two days ago when taking my battery out of my iPV4 with a brand new battery in it mind you, my connection sparked and the battery vented.

Precisely what "connection" sparked? The battery to the battery terminal, or something else.

Then the battery lit on fire as well as the entire battery casing on the MOD.

This should never happen with an IMR battery. They vent when overloaded or overheated, but they should never catch on fire. Catching on fire suggests that the battery was really a Li-ion rather than an IMR.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
MXJO are re-wrapped batteries. I think they are actually Panasonic or something like that. I hear they are decent, but at higher watts, I am always more comfortable with a higher CDR rating. I use Sony VTC4s in everything. You really need at minimum a true 20A CDR battery for the iPV4. 30A for anything over 75W is always a good idea if you are going to run anything under 0.5ohms.

Kevin O'Brien

Jul 29, 2015
i was running a build at .12 ohms, 110 watts. the battery lit when i pulled the lanyard and popped the batteries out of the mod. the + side sparked, then started smoking like crazy and hissing while it vented. I tried to roll my comforter over it in case of fire, as I could not touch the mod out of fear of getting shocked ( i have a pacemaker ). There was then a pop from under the comforter. When i removed it, the mod was melted in the battery casing and a huge burn hole through the comforter. Im sure I could have handled it better, but see how well you react when you have half a second to make a decision!

Reactions: AllElseFailed

Kevin O'Brien

Jul 29, 2015
MXJO are re-wrapped batteries. I think they are actually Panasonic or something like that. I hear they are decent, but at higher watts, I am always more comfortable with a higher CDR rating. I use Sony VTC4s in everything. You really need at minimum a true 20A CDR battery for the iPV4. 30A for anything over 75W is always a good idea if you are going to run anything under 0.5ohms.
do you have a link to where I can purchase some? Thank you in advance.

Reactions: AllElseFailed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread