mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
that's pretty personal :?:
A picture is worth a thousand words.[emoji2]

It is real difficult to troubleshoot soldering issues, and offer meaningful advice, remotely without seeing it.

Sent from phone.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Im using a weller 40w I believe
Nothing fancy

If your using one of these guns make sure the tip nuts or screws that hold the tip are darn good and tight otherwise you'll loose heat and it takes forever to heat up. Take the tip off and clean all the points where it connects very well with some steel wool or a scotch bright pad. Let the gun come up to full temperature before touching the tip to the work, you don't want to keep the heat on the components any longer then it takes for the solder to flow. I've seen a lot of people hit the switch, wait 15 seconds then hold the tip on the work until it finally get hot enough for the solder to flow. And remember, solder flows toward the heat.
31i9z2472oL._AA160_.jpg

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Yea I'm not using a gun. Also my tips are in less than perfect shape. I'm going to pick up some replacements and try again. Just wondering the methods you guys use as far as wire and solder placement

I use a variable temperature iron, so I don't think my method is applicable...for the fat stuff I put on a medium tip, cleaned and tinned. Flux pad and wire, tin pad and wire. Re-flux surface of tinning. I flux and tin the iron with a heavy solder layer. Hold the iron to the wire over the pad but not touching, let the wire tinning get flowing and then press down so the heat in the wire quickly melts the pad tinning. It takes longer to describe than to do.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Im using a weller 40w I believe
Nothing fancy

I use a cheep weller from the home depot it works fine:) I clean the tip with a pair of pliers, carbon build up can reduce it's efficiency. with a huge pad like the new 200 has I don't pre tin. I place the wire on the pad, squish down with the iron and apply solder to the wire not the Iron. What's funny is I find the dna 40's harder to solder than the new 200's :)

Pdizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2014
Alberta
I use a cheep weller from the home depot it works fine:) I clean the tip with a pair of pliers, carbon build up can reduce it's efficiency. with a huge pad like the new 200 has I don't pre tin. I place the wire on the pad, squish down with the iron and apply solder to the wire not the Iron. What's funny is I find the dna 40's harder to solder than the new 200's :)
Orange one with the led lights? That's what I use

Reactions: Steamer861

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I use a temperature controlled iron with a medium pointed tip and set at 650F. The iron produces about 60 watts. I flux the wire and pad(both sides), insert the wire through the hole, clean the tip in a wet sponge, tin the tip and have a drop of solder on it, then apply it to the wire/pad junction and apply a little rosin core 22 gauge solder. Everything is held in place by a "third hand" other than the iron and solder. I do wear a jewelers loupe when doing this, just to make sure.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Yep got my biggest tip out for the 14 AWG, not only better contact area but also stores more heat.

Agreed. It seems counter-intuitive that you'd want a larger tip for such a pinpoint soldering job, but a smaller tip means you need to leave it on the board longer to heat up the wire.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
If your using one of these guns make sure the tip nuts or screws that hold the tip are darn good and tight otherwise you'll loose heat and it takes forever to heat up. Take the tip off and clean all the points where it connects very well with some steel wool or a scotch bright pad. Let the gun come up to full temperature before touching the tip to the work, you don't want to keep the heat on the components any longer then it takes for the solder to flow. I've seen a lot of people hit the switch, wait 15 seconds then hold the tip on the work until it finally get hot enough for the solder to flow. And remember, solder flows toward the heat.
31i9z2472oL._AA160_.jpg
You do NOT want to use a solder gun for circuit boards.

Yea I'm not using a gun. Also my tips are in less than perfect shape. I'm going to pick up some replacements and try again. Just wondering the methods you guys use as far as wire and solder placement

Orange one with the led lights? That's what I use
I use the same one (Weller 40w). The tips aren't the best and you need to take good care of them before, during and after use or they crap out really quick. I use a brass sponge to clean the tip and tin it before and after soldering.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Thanks for the tips guys
I am using a pretty big tip. so big I may have touched a fuse or two in the process lol

Can someone who used the Blueridgedog enclosure tell me what their assembly steps were and how long of wire you used for your ground and output?
I'm still waiting for the connectors so I left extra long leads for power.

DSC_2731_zpsmvjkdecx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread