Status
Not open for further replies.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Let me try one more time... let's say you are mixing up 100ml of juice in a 100ml cyllinder. Your recipe calls for 1% of a particular flavor. Let's say you squirt 1ml of flavoring into the cylinder, and half of it sticks to the wall.

If a half ml sticks to the wall when you wash out the cylinder then you only mixed 0.5%, not the 1% you think you mixed. The same could happen with nic, where your juice ends up with a lower concentration than expected.

As a general rule, when you are mixing tiny concentrations of various fluids in an interim mixing container, you want everything reasonably well mixed when you pour it into your final container, or at least not stuck to the container walls. Unless you can cap your cylinder and vigorously shake it, I don't think you can do that.

Edit: I know from observation that up to 2-4ml of eliquid remains in a 100ml cylinder after the initial pour. The exact amount depending on my patience and if I pre-warmed the VG (I only use a cylinder to measure large amounts of VG)

Easy peasy, don't put your flavoring into the graduated cylinder. When I am making a batch, I measure the flavoring first and transfer it from the syringe into whatever bottle I will be shaking it up in. The cylinder is used to measure my pre made nic base, then that goes on top of the flavor in the bottle. Before pouring the nic base I even fill and shake the syringe several times with the nic base to get as much of the residual flavoring into the batch.

I use the same process when mixing nic base. Measure the concentrated nic. Next measure the PG, then the VG. Each time I pour I leave the cylinder propped and resting on the bottle at an angle and give it a few minutes to fully drain. Polypropylene cylinders drain better than glass, and if you want to be really ...., always final rinse with distilled water to prevent mineral buildup on your cylinders.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Meh, very good point. I may wind up just using said scale to weigh my coffee each morning.
LOL
I know I should let this pass, but why do you need a scale for measuring your morning coffee? Inquiring minds want to know, it would have never occurred to me :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Interesting side note. The other day, I got the 3 Reos back, that had been off to the Spa, getting new 510s installed.
On one of them, my Hammertone, I had been running an RM4, with a .4 ohm dual coil, and a Caramel Cappuccino juice, that has been one of my favorites, for a long time. But when I set the Reo back up, I decided to put my Stumpy on it, just to fool around with it. I had built the Stumpy with a similar, .4 ohm, dual coil build.
I set everything up, filled the Reo, started vaping, and "What the heck? Where's the flavor?". Vaped a little while, and eventually took the Stumpy off, and put the RM4 back on. "Ahhh..there it is!".
Why? Because with that particular .4 ohm build, the RM4 kicks the Stumpy's ayuss, in the flavor department.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
LOL
I know I should let this pass, but why do you need a scale for measuring your morning coffee? Inquiring minds want to know, it would have never occurred to me :)
Ask any true coffee connosewer (LMAO - no idea how to spell that word, so how's that?) and they'll tell you they measure their coffee by weight. Do I think it's necessary for my level of coffee appreciation, no - but, why not :)

It can also be used to measure some, unmentionables :D

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Ask any true coffee connosewer (LMAO - no idea how to spell that word, so how's that?) and they'll tell you they measure their coffee by weight. Do I think it's necessary for my level of coffee appreciation, no - but, why not :)

It can also be used to measure some, unmentionables :D
This, my friend, is one of only three known Official Coffee Measuring Cups left on the face of the planet. I own two, the third is stored in a vault at the National Bureau of Standards.

One of the last two Official Coffee Measuring Cups that were supplied free in every can of coffee until, when, 20 years ago now? They disappeared. Scales? Pffft!!!

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
This, my friend, is one of only three known Official Coffee Measuring Cups left on the face of the planet. I own two, the third is stored in a vault at the National Bureau of Standards.

One of the last two Official Coffee Measuring Cups that were supplied free in every can of coffee until, when, 20 years ago now? They disappeared. Scales? Pffft!!!

You mean, my official, $10 stainless steel, official 2 tbsp, Long handled, Starbucks measurer, is no good?
Damn! More money wasted.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
You mean, my official, $10 stainless steel, official 2 tbsp, Long handled, Starbucks measurer, is no good?
Damn! More money wasted.
Not only no good. Not close to standard scoop measure. No wonder your coffee is so weak

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
You guys'd laugh at my current coffee measuring skills...I grind it up and dump a random amount into the filter, usually a ridiculously large amount of it, then pick a random amount of water

...mornings, I'm unreasonable, lazy, and hazy...it just is what it is :2cool:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
You guys'd laugh at my current coffee measuring skills...I grind it up and dump a random amount into the filter, usually a ridiculously large amount of it, then pick a random amount of water

...mornings, I'm unreasonable, lazy, and hazy...it just is what it is :2cool:
Aaaaaannnddddd..... You want me to try your eJuice too?

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Aaaaaannnddddd..... You want me to try your eJuice too?
Oh trust me, it's pretty D- so far. I do have hope...one day I'll nail it. Something life changing. Already got some names in my line of Sloth Sauce lined up...like Slautherhouse. That one will be awesome, whenever that is...

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
I grind 16-17 grams of espresso for a double shot in my latte 1-3 times a day on a small digital scale. Measuring is the only way to ensure proper dosing :)

So, changing the subject back to juice mixing - Russ, you still using your Ketchup bottles with sharpie line markers? :)
I have been using that method ever since I saw your video seems like ages ago.
I took all my 60 ml juice bottles and measured my mix, marked a line at each level with the sharpie, put tape over the marks so they don't wear off( like you suggested) and now it's so easy to refill. I'll make a couple bottles at a time to just last me the week. Syringe in nicotine, pour in PG/VG from big bottles (equipped with cone style cap) right into the small bottle to each mark put on cap ( cone style with cap), shake & vape!:vapor:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
So, changing the subject back to juice mixing - Russ, you still using your Ketchup bottles with sharpie line markers? :)
I have been using that method ever since I saw your video seems like ages ago.
I took all my 60 ml juice bottles and measured my mix, marked a line at each level with the sharpie, put tape over the marks so they don't wear off( like you suggested) and now it's so easy to refill. I'll make a couple bottles at a time to just last me the week. Syringe in nicotine, pour in PG/VG from big bottles (equipped with cone style cap) right into the small bottle to each mark put on cap ( cone style with cap), shake & vape!:vapor:

Yes I am. I wouldn't even try to do it any differently. Too damn easy right?

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

I know where there is 2 more in use, couple of others in storage that were all included in cans from various coffee companies... including a metal one that is many, many decades older. 1920's-40's maybe, a grandma gave it to me well used in the 50's, was the one I always took for all outdoors ranch work, hunting, fishing, etc to make cowboy coffee with (still have my vintage graniteware fire pot as well that could be as old as the coffee measure).

A coffee drinker since the mid 50's, a serious one since the early 60's. I have drank it pretty much anytime round the clock most of my life. Don't know that makes me a connoisseur, but my favorite beans are from select plantations in Hawaii, Costa Rica, El Salvador and Brazil, can run around $45-$70 a pound plus shipping (when they are available). They are pricey but far below what some beans sell for... like La Esmeralda Especial from Panama that can run $300-$350/pound at auction, or Kopi Luwak from Indonesia that brings $300 to $600/pound depending on quality/where from/availability.

cbcoff.jpg

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Got in some Nude Nic today, gonna give it a shot...have a bottle of unflavored mixed up, a bottle of vanilla spongecake, and a bottle of Mayan Mocha (Spydro, figured I'd give it a shot). They're all uncapped and breathing for a bit, will try them soon. I also have some Vaperstek nic on the way.

These will be my first 2 ventures outside of mfs and I am hoping for more slotherly results. (I am looking for the cleanest, least-nic taste possible...I can already tell this will be much better unflavored because it has virtually no smell)

ETA: NN, while not completely tasteless, is much more tolerable to me. The taste is minor. I'll be able to vape unflavored with this, when need be - which makes me a happy sloth. And I hear VT is much better - so that's exciting too. Side note, it's kinda amazing how strong of a hit fresh nic gives.

Another ETA: I actually like that unflavored quite a bit, shocking to sloth...it's not only tolerable, it's actually good. But that vanilla spongecake, oh my...when you get fuller flavor off of 3% flavoring than you do off premium ejuice, that's awesome. In fact, 3% was too much flavoring. (this speaks to the flavoring itself, but also the nic base)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread