Mike n Tibs DNA Mods!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaana

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2015
Bosphorus
Hmmm.... Well Evlov is really staying in the headlines, good for them! (and us :)) Did you read the blog post that was linked in your link? Confirmed: Whiteout DNA Dual-18650 Build Kit Is Coming! - Cloudmaker Technologies
This really open my sleepy eyes!

"These specs would offer the dual-18650 Whiteout dna unparalleled battery life, outstripping the standard 3S LiPo pack and making the dual-18650 dna Build Kit even more appealing! However, it’s worth adding that the DNA200 can now use 2S LiPo batteries (7.4V nominal, 8.4V peak) as well, which offer up to 30-40% more capacity than a 3S LiPo of the same size, as they contain only 2 cells instead of 3."

Is that really true? Can two 18650's offer more capacity and longer longer life then a 3S LiPo of the same size?

Yeah I've read it,
nice to have more build options but li-ion vs lipo debate were out of my interest so didnt care much about those bullpoop

Reactions: SlickWilly

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
The tip that comes on it really isn't that big. It's probably the same size as the solder pads on the board. Figured that would be useful having the chisel tip

I think your going to find that tip is much bigger then you think, if you read the description down on the page you linked for that iron it says it's for leading stained glass, that requires a BIG iron.

Jump to 4:20 minutes, note the size of the lead solder being used and how fast it melts with that iron, granted it's more of a lead mix then what we use but still that's a big hot iron.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States

My honest opinion is that you are looking at the bargain basement end of the scale, and you get what you pay for.

If you plan on making more than just 1 or 2 mods, I would recommend a higher quality level.

This is the one I use. I highly recommend it.

Hakko Digital FX888D & CHP170 bundle, includes Soldering Station & CHP170 cutter - - Amazon.com

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
This one is a clone of the older Hakko model. Several folks have had decent results with it, and it is the same pricepoint as the Nexxtech one you were looking at.

Soldering Station with Adjustable Heat Range with EU plug

Note, it is available in a 110 or a 220 model, be sure to select the right one.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Pdizzle, I know you want to get a DNA200 mod built ASAP, but it's probably a better idea to get something temperature controlled like Mike posted. In the long run, it'll more than pay for itself in ease of use and controllability (saving the boards).

EvlSmrk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
Pulaski, NY

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Seems our @VapingBad struck up a good conversation over at Evolv
Mod Resistance - DNA 200 Early Adopters Forum
Did you notice the Evolv mod had higher resistace than direct wired VariTube, that surprised me, I reckon it is using the case as common ground as aluminium oxidises so quick connections are never 100%. But it is the constancy that is more important.

BTW there is a new version of Escribe firmware John advises if you want to play with this.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
A 1300mAh lipo measures about 67 x 33 x 20, two 18650s measure about 66 x 36 x 18, so the size about the same. The difference being in the packaging.

And the 18650's need a sled or enclosure AND they have constantly exposed contact points. I am really stumped at the folks that want to stick to 18650s. I do agree that if you can run on one, it makes a nice form factor. You can do that with a nice DNA40 large screen (love that mod). The "I want the new tech as it applies to the control circuit, but not the new tech as it applies to the battery" leaves me stumped.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
And the 18650's need a sled or enclosure AND they have constantly exposed contact points. I am really stumped at the folks that want to stick to 18650s. I do agree that if you can run on one, it makes a nice form factor. You can do that with a nice DNA40 large screen (love that mod). The "I want the new tech as it applies to the control circuit, but not the new tech as it applies to the battery" leaves me stumped.
That really shouldn't stump you at all. I would bet that the majority of the vaping public haven't ventured past the capabilities of the DNA 40 and are pleased with the life of a single battery. My little vapor shark is still my favorite out and about mod, very handy. My dual battery Tibs mods are a close second. But I'd love to have the programming and firmware updating capability bolted into those smaller boxes.
You are very advanced compared to the folks out there getting their clearos from the 7-11 or local B&M, I'd say just about everybody following this thread is on the really short part of the bell curve with what you know how to do.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I'd say just about everybody following this thread is on the really short part of the bell curve with what you know how to do.

Problem is, that sometimes I think I am on the wrong "short part"........

upload_2015-7-30_9-49-24.png

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Personally my only additional concern with LiPos over IMRs is protecting them from physical damage, we have a very good battery management system with this board that takes care of all the other concerns, assuming you got a decent battery with a good enough C rate.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
TYou are very advanced compared to the folks out there getting their clearos from the 7-11 or local B&M, I'd say just about everybody following this thread is on the really short part of the bell curve with what you know how to do.

True...but I am referring to discussions on this very forum...amongst folks who know what is in their mod. I agree that the casual vaper going and getting a mod at a B&M really has no opinion (plug it in, charge it, vape it, repeat). What has me scratching my head is that there is at times serious debate on how it is a bad idea to migrate away from the existing form factor. Your point about the B&M actually has the solution...once the masses are vaping it, it won't matter.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Yes, very true, what will sell will be what looks and feels good in the hand at the B&M to the general vaping customer, whichever battery and DNA version is in it. Mass produced clearos, tanks, coils will keep the lion's share of the market, and that isn't a bad thing, better than BT owning it all. Not many of those will be looking to push the boundaries of this chip, and we probably wouldn't want that either for the negative headlines.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Because of your recommendation, and the glowing reviews about the station, that's the one I went with. But I went with Newegg, instead of Amazon. Should be here today, and quite frankly I'm more excited than I probably should be about it.
It's probably one of the best hobby grade soldering irons on the market. Price is very good too. Every time I solder, I'm tempted to just get one.

Did you notice the Evolv mod had higher resistace than direct wired VariTube, that surprised me, I reckon it is using the case as common ground as aluminium oxidises so quick connections are never 100%. But it is the constancy that is more important.

BTW there is a new version of Escribe firmware John advises if you want to play with this.
I've been very happy with the VT 510 on all the mods I built. They've been rock solid.

I can understand. A lot of us have a stockpile of 18650's and want to use them up. Going to Lipo's leaves us with a pile of useless batteries. One of the reasons I still love my rDNA is because it's small and provides me with an excellent vape.

Personally my only additional concern with LiPos over IMRs is protecting them from physical damage, we have a very good battery management system with this board that takes care of all the other concerns, assuming you got a decent battery with a good enough C rate.
You'd have to throw the mod out of a moving car to cause any real damage to a lipo (and even then, it might be ok). Dropping it from 3' (or even 6') won't hurt them unless the mod is lined inside with spikes. People see the youtube videos of lipos failing spectacularly and think that's what happens all the time. They gloss over the fact that they were overcharged by a significant margin and/or physically abused beyond what most normal people would expose any battery to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread