Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
This one is a clone of the older Hakko model. Several folks have had decent results with it, and it is the same pricepoint as the Nexxtech one you were looking at.

Soldering Station with Adjustable Heat Range with EU plug

Note, it is available in a 110 or a 220 model, be sure to select the right one.

That's the one I got recently, (110 version), very good reviews on the product page. I'm quite impressed with it, it's very accurate in the temp settings, it adjustable if needed and it's a LOT heavier unit then I expected. Tips are cheap and easy to get, I read some other parts are too, tons of them on ebay. For the money you can't go wrong, good starter until you move into something better. Only thing I did was add rubber bumpers for the feet, as pointed out in the video below there are spots molded for them in the corners but none on it, really nice not to have the stand sliding around on the bench. I'm also going to put some lead stick on wheel weights inside the stand to give it some weight, it's very light and tippy.

Here's the video I watched before I bought one, this guy shows side by side comparison with the Hakko and the Hobby King Yihua unit, he also opens the case so you can see the inside of the main unit. There also lots of other youtube reviews on it if you want to check them out. Oh, one other thing I'll add, in the video it shows the stand being a very loose fit for the iron, well they must have fixed that because mine fits nice and snug.

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
I've been very happy with the VT 510 on all the mods I built. They've been rock solid.
I bet you and I are getting a rep for Evolv & VT fanboys :lol:

You'd have to throw the mod out of a moving car to cause any real damage to a lipo (and even then, it might be ok). Dropping it from 3' (or even 6') won't hurt them unless the mod is lined inside with spikes. People see the youtube videos of lipos failing spectacularly and think that's what happens all the time. They gloss over the fact that they were overcharged by a significant margin and/or physically abused beyond what most normal people would expose any battery to.
Taking my one up Scottish mountains soon, Knoydart, I reckon dropping it here needs some protection.
Knoydart-1.jpg

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
You'd have to throw the mod out of a moving car to cause any real damage to a lipo (and even then, it might be ok). Dropping it from 3' (or even 6') won't hurt them unless the mod is lined inside with spikes. People see the youtube videos of lipos failing spectacularly and think that's what happens all the time. They gloss over the fact that they were overcharged by a significant margin and/or physically abused beyond what most normal people would expose any battery to.

That's something I should note to those using the Hammond boxes, I also bought a smaller 1590A like Vaping Bad's, something I found while dry fitting the board and battery, which is a tight fit. There was a 1/16th gap at the lid to close because of the battery, I pressed the lid gently down and checked the battery, there was one tiny pin point indentation in one of the cells, it didn't puncture the heat shrink or cell wrap but there it was. I found the lettering molded inside the box is raised just a little and it was one of the letters that pressed into the battery, I can easily sand and smooth it out it flush with a dremel. Of course we want to leave a little room for the battery in case it swells, but even given room it still concerned me what would happen over time with handling if a battery where to keep rubbing on those letters so I'm eliminating them in all my boxes. I think another good idea would be to lay down some kapton tape inside the box, I've got some coming.

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
That's something I should note to those using the Hammond boxes, I also bought a smaller 1590A like Vaping Bad's, something I found while dry fitting the board and battery, which is a tight fit. There was a 1/16th gap at the lid to close because of the battery, I pressed the lid gently down and checked the battery, there was one tiny pin point indentation in one of the cells, it didn't puncture the heat shrink or cell wrap but there it was. I found the lettering molded inside the box is raised just a little and it was one of the letters that pressed into the battery, I can easily sand and smooth it out it flush with a dremel. Of course we want to leave a little room for the battery in case it swells, but even given room it still concerned me what would happen over time with handling if a battery where to keep rubbing on those letters so I'm eliminating them in all my boxes. I think another good idea would be to lay down some kapton tape inside the box, I've got some coming.
I ground the lettering off first, sorry I should have mentioned that.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States

The thin nylon sheets that they sell a pound of bacon on, make a perfect wrap for the Lipo to protect it against abrasion and punctures.

DSCN0533_zps1217b904.jpg

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I like that idea Mike!

Speaking of pork, I just started the fire and rubbed down some ribs, they'll be on the grill soon for a long and slow smoke. :thumb:
A man after my own heart! This is what I smoke with.... Built like a tank, but benefits from a few mods to the stock version.

images

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I bet you and I are getting a rep for Evolv & VT fanboys :lol:
Not everyone can be right :thumb: :w00t: :lol:

Double sided tape should give you enough protection and room for expansion. I've only heard of really cheap lipos swelling.

I like that idea Mike!

Speaking of pork, I just started the fire and rubbed down some ribs, they'll be on the grill soon for a long and slow smoke. :thumb:
When should we show up? :toast::party:

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
That may well be true, but I can say that the Turnigy Nano's many of us are looking can swell. I have experienced it first hand.
I should clarify... All lipos swell but cheap ones swell much more (up to 15%) while better grade cells will only swell about 5%.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
When should we show up? :toast::party:

About another four hours, just flipped them, nice color already. I like to pile the wood one, I don't think you can ever over do the smoke, I'm wearing the smell now and the entire neighborhood smells so good! Bring your own adult bevs, I don't keep anything anymore because I seldom partake these days, booze and pain meds is a bad mix. But I do love a good ice cold Tanquera and tonic with lime every now and then, on a hot day, sippin a T&T in the shade, yup! :thumbs:

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Got my v200. It's a good size. The navy blue is a bit darker than my cloupor box. The battery capacity was wrong when Escribe downloaded the mod's config but I loaded my config and fixed the capacity before uploading it to the mod.
DSC_2735_zpshqvhfkwg.jpg

Nice! I like it!

Ugh, I've got to get mine done! I keep messing with the box, tweaking things here and there that bug me when I look at it. The sides were not a true 90°, off by just a tad and I could see it when standing it on end so I took it back to the sanding disc and fixed it. Then had to re-cut the depth of the screw holes so the screws sit flush, file down the posts so the usb post was equal on both sides, that bugged the hell out of me.... Then the corners still having the Hammond box angle bugged me so I filed those all straight. I keep looking at the screen cutout and it's just a tad off square, it will bug me if I don't go back and file it straight.... I still haven't got to filing the buttons down because I keep messing with the box... I did get the smooth VT 510 yesterday and got the hole drilled for it, man that looks nice. I'll be too fussy, get it all done and then drop the damn thing LoL.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
About another four hours, just flipped them, nice color already. I like to pile the wood one, I don't think you can ever over do the smoke, I'm wearing the smell now and the entire neighborhood smells so good! Bring your own adult bevs, I don't keep anything anymore because I seldom partake these days, booze and pain meds is a bad mix. But I do love a good ice cold Tanquera and tonic with lime every now and then, on a hot day, sippin a T&T in the shade, yup! :thumbs:

Me too!, but Skip the tonic & Lime, wave a good dry Vermouth over the top, imagining dropping sum in, a cap full of Olive Juice, shake vigorously, and pour over three large, stuffed olives

mmmmmmm :smokie:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I should clarify... All lipos swell but cheap ones swell much more (up to 15%) while better grade cells will only swell about 5%.
Funny thing is, I was reading somewhere, where they have been experimenting with keeping Lipos under slight pressure and this allegedly increases their lifespan. NOT that I am recommending anybody do this, but they sandwiched the lipos between 2 plates of metal, which prevented swelling, and supposedly increased lifespan.

Edited to add:
it has been investigated that moderate pressure on the stack of layers that compose the cell results in increased capacity retention, because the contact between the components is maximised and delamination and deformation is prevented, which is associated with increase of cell impedance and degradation. [12][13]

Last edited:

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Funny thing is, I was reading somewhere, where they have been experimenting with keeping Lipos under slight pressure and this allegedly increases their lifespan. NOT that I am recommending anybody do this, but they sandwiched the lipos between 2 plates of metal, which prevented swelling, and supposedly increased lifespan.
John (Evolv) also said they only swell if the are given a space to swell into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread