Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Hey, folks. Please excuse any blatant ignorance in this question, but does it make sense that the VT would work in Celsius but not in Fahrenheit? That seems to be what's happening here. Temp control kicks in immediately in Fahrenheit, no matter what temp I set, but I've been happily vaping away for about 24 hrs now at 310C, using the stock tank and a .20 ni coil head, and the VT has performed flawlessly - absolutely fantastic vape. Then, finally, I got curious enough to Google 310C - cuz I'm 'Merkin and I don't speak Celsius - and holy cow, that's 590F! That can't be right, can it? Seems like that would be way too hot to be pleasant, but it's not at all, and I'm doing MTL hits with the airflow closed off about three-quarters of the way. So now I'm thinking maybe something is kinda janky in Celsius, too, which would make sense, since Celsius and Fahrenheit are not separate 'settings,' per se (are they?).

I bought this off the classies and didn't get the user manual, and this is my first experience with TC, so I'm reluctant to blame the mod for anything at this point. I read a lot of posts and watched some tutorials before diving in. I locked in my base resistance and all that, but stability isn't really an issue. In practical terms, there really isn't an issue because even if the VT isn't functioning correctly, it's certainly functioning well ... as long as I keep it in Celsius, anyway. I'm getting a warm, billowy, flavorful vape that I'm digging on in a serious way. However, I don't want to be sitting here all dumb and happy doing something stupid that might result in an awkward conversation with my insurance carrier. Anybody have any thoughts?
Are you attempting to vape in F at 590?

I've got mine set at 480 F with a .22 Ni200 coil in a CLR head in the eGo ONE Mega. No problems...

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Hey, folks. Please excuse any blatant ignorance in this question, but does it make sense that the VT would work in Celsius but not in Fahrenheit? That seems to be what's happening here. Temp control kicks in immediately in Fahrenheit, no matter what temp I set, but I've been happily vaping away for about 24 hrs now at 310C, using the stock tank and a .20 ni coil head, and the VT has performed flawlessly - absolutely fantastic vape. Then, finally, I got curious enough to Google 310C - cuz I'm 'Merkin and I don't speak Celsius - and holy cow, that's 590F! That can't be right, can it? Seems like that would be way too hot to be pleasant, but it's not at all, and I'm doing MTL hits with the airflow closed off about three-quarters of the way. So now I'm thinking maybe something is kinda janky in Celsius, too, which would make sense, since Celsius and Fahrenheit are not separate 'settings,' per se (are they?).

I bought this off the classies and didn't get the user manual, and this is my first experience with TC, so I'm reluctant to blame the mod for anything at this point. I read a lot of posts and watched some tutorials before diving in. I locked in my base resistance and all that, but stability isn't really an issue. In practical terms, there really isn't an issue because even if the VT isn't functioning correctly, it's certainly functioning well ... as long as I keep it in Celsius, anyway. I'm getting a warm, billowy, flavorful vape that I'm digging on in a serious way. However, I don't want to be sitting here all dumb and happy doing something stupid that might result in an awkward conversation with my insurance carrier. Anybody have any thoughts?

That is really weird. Wish I could help you.. Only thing I can suggest is that the res is locked too low... iow it may have been .2 but maybe it's really .21-.22 now and that why the temp is so far off.

I would try to recalibrate the base resistance.. When the tanks set for 10 min. Unscrew atty, unlock atty in menu, hit fire button a couple times to clear res, go to atomizer line, screw on tank, when the res pops up lock it in. Then fire it.. It may or may not go new coil... Hopefully the resistance is different than before, higher, and the temps will be closer to reality.

Hope it helps.

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It seems high to me, too, but I have nothing to compare it to. It's a nice, warm cape, but the juice doesn't taste burnt. Either 590F is just not as hot as I thought it would be or, as I've been thinking this morning, it's not really getting that hot - that's just the point at which the temp control will kick in.

*That would be 'nice, warm V-ape. With a 'v.' Stupid tiny keypad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That is really weird. Wish I could help you.. Only thing I can suggest is that the res is locked too low... iow it may have been .2 but maybe it's really .21-.22 now and that why the temp is so far off.

I would try to recalibrate the base resistance.. When the tanks set for 10 min. Unscrew atty, unlock atty in menu, hit fire button a couple times to clear res, go to atomizer line, screw on tank, when the res pops up lock it in. Then fire it.. It may or may not go new coil... Hopefully the resistance is different than before, higher, and the temps will be closer to reality.

Hope it helps.
Thanks - I'll try that tonight. It's just working so well right now, I'm afraid to mess with it. The res is actually locked at .21, but I still need to try and figure out why it only works in Celsius.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Thanks - I'll try that tonight. It's just working so well right now, I'm afraid to mess with it. The res is actually locked at .21, but I still need to try and figure out why it only works in Celsius.

I've found that with a room temp. atty, I get the most accurate reading by having the resistance unlocked, mod in the correct mode, then turned off before screwing atty on..... Turn on once atty is in place, wait for resistance to read, and then lock res.

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've found that with a room temp. atty, I get the most accurate reading by having the resistance unlocked, mod in the correct mode, then turned off before screwing atty on..... Turn on once atty is in place, wait for resistance to read, and then lock res.
Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I know I didn't do it that way when I set it up.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL

Yeah it's one of those things its just a number if it works great leave it be for now.

The farenhiet thing is some type of mod issue, maybe a glitch or fault. But hey if celcius works its usable at least

Reactions: AlaskaVaper

jafmf95

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
Potatoland
Pretty much the same process I follow. I've found the eVic reads about .02 difference from the ohm tester I use to build. If it doesn't lock in at about where I expect, I'll retry - and sometimes fire it unlocked at a low (350F) temp a couple times, let it sit and try again. It can be a little finicky - but I think most of it is not having an absolute perfect build on the atty. Once it's locked it at the right (expected) resistance, it's a perfect vape.

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Or maybe you don't own an evic vt? I find at 600 its not even a hot vape.

I do have a VT. I usually start at 350 for a new build and work up to 400-450 range. If 590F isn't hot then either you have copious amounts of airflow, or something is wrong. Maybe the resistance is locked on a lower value? IDK. JMHO.

Reactions: JeremyR

coilburner

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
What the heck, I put in a new .15 ohm nickel coil in my subtank mini and at 450 it was vaping fine. worked all the way up to 600 and it was still a great, more vopor, vape but now when I turn it back down to 450 I hardly get any vapor.
Edit, Putting it in nickel mode helped but the vapor doesn't change much, if at all, when I bump it up to 600

Last edited:

puddinman

Jun 6, 2015
I have noticed that as my coil ages, I need to start bumping up the temps. I can vape a new coil satisfactorily at around 420F but after 5 or 6 tanks I need to start hitting the 500s because I get reduced vapor at lower temps. This happens more/faster with the Delta II coils than with the Kanger STM coils (both nickel). For this reason, I am seriously considering using the RBAs on each and see if that helps me get more life out of coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread