Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
@mikepetro is Evolv going to start selling enclosures? :) How do we get on the waiting list for that?
Trust me, I am making myself heard with Brandon. He isnt ready to sell yet, hasnt costed it out to even name a price yet, but I am already in line when he does, assuming his wholesale pricing makes it feasible.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
man-and-woman-in-coffee-shop-looking-through-window.jpg

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I'v had little time to play with my escribe setting. With the limited time I have had, I'm setting my new DNA200 up Just to my liking :)
I set my pre heat to 100 watts for 3 seconds and it's just great. I can get a really good hit with a short draw.
So far I'm really liking the capability to setup my vape how I want it :) This is great :)
Can hardly wait till the weekend so I can get # 2 up and running :)

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
So worst case scenario. What happens if I use the 14awg silicone wire that comes with my battery?
No harm done, just a little more space taken up by the wire, both in the mod and on the board. I.e fatter wire being a little harder to solder and takes up more space. Be careful the wires dont touch anything else on the board.

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
So worst case scenario. What happens if I use the 14awg silicone wire that comes with my battery?
Well, you are back to needing that relatively fat tip but the real problem is the wires are attached to the battery. They are live at all times.
You must do this one at a time. The unsoldered wire must remain fully insulated while you solder the first one on.
Then, as you solder the second one on, you have to be very careful it doesn't stray to the other connected wire or pad and God forbid that you create a solder bridge.
You did say you wanted a worst case scenario........

Reactions: SlickWilly

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Just picked up my Duratrax onyx 1300mah 35c. Going to try to fit it in a 1590g with a Mamu faceplate on the face of the box

If I ever buy another Hammond style box it will be one of the CNC boxes with the straight sides, a little more then double the price of a Hammond but worth it. I made the sides on my boxes straight and I'm very happy with the results but the time it took, it was a PITA. They sell them on ebay, you can get them with the screws for the covers or blind drill for magnets. Something to think about if the angled sides bother you. Alpinetech G CNC Milled Aluminum Enclosure Box Mods 1590G Hidden Magnet Holes | eBay

mbgiOE3i73dg85QoLvsOKhQ.jpg

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
That's the box I bought for the DNA200, Willy. Really nice machining and square sides. I'll be working on the hole layout a little later this AM.

Do you have a copy of that PDF file for the face layout? I did like Trucker, printed it, cut it out and taped it to the box for my layout, made it quick and easy. I used a razor knife to cut out the screen and usb port sections, then used a magic marker to ink and layout those. The holes that need drilling, I used a large needle to make a small pricck punch mark at the centers, then used a real pricck punch before drilling. Funny that I have to miss-spell pp or it gets blocked as a naught word. :laugh:

There is a trick to printing that file to scale, that and the pdf link was posted in Mike's **-** thread that was closed once everyone got their stuff. I have to be careful what I say, I got warned, not talking about that topic outside of the section. If you need help finding the file and how to print it I can find that for you.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I have that file and printed it out, used a caliper to confirm the scale, and plan on doing it, basically, the same way. I am planning on installing guides or rails internally to hold a sled for the board. Hopefully, I can get a good enough bond with JB weld to hold the sled guides inside the box. I machined buttons out of aluminum rod stock when I made them for my low mount tank DNA40, and that's still being worked on but slowly approaching completion.

I bookmarked that resource when it was first posted, Mike. Great resource! Thanks for organizing and maintaining it!

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I would say a "worst" case scenario would be delamination of the pads if he bends that wire too much after having it soldered to the board . 14 Awg is massive.

It probably won't happen but this is "worst" case scenario tight? [emoji14]

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

Reactions: KTMRider

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
I use heat shunts on the thick wires so less solder travels up the wire with capillary action to keep the flexibility in the wires. I also don't strip the silicon, I tin the end then grab it with needle nose pliers and pull the silicon back, then you can pull it up tight to the joint when you have soldered and not have to use heat shrink most of the time.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I also don't strip the silicon, I tin the end then grab it with needle nose pliers and pull the silicon back, then you can pull it up tight to the joint when you have soldered and not have to use heat shrink most of the time.

Neat trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread