Status
Not open for further replies.

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
Annoying, ain't it? If you're buying new tanks and coils are so cheap, I think Krisma's weekly coil-change, needed or not, sounds like a pretty good idea but I'm going to let this first one quit or otherwise go obviously bad, just to see what it's like.

The trouble is remembering how long I've been using each one. I would think that you would just know it was bad, but instead I just wonder if it could be bad. I wish it wouldn't fire on a mod anymore if it was a bad coil. Or some light went off or it changed colors, or it fell out or SOMETHING!! lol

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Thank you for this reply! And sorry I jumped the gun on the sigh :oops: . That actually makes sense to me. I have one I think could be to that point, so I think I'll change it, but not throw away the old one. That way, if I'm wrong and there's is no difference, I will still have the old one. No waste!

I don't know if you have spare gear but I always load new coils or cartos into a new tank. I get it going before I dismantle the old one. There is nothing worse than going to the trouble of loading a new tank and finding the new coil is a bit dodgy. The stress of needing to get it going makes it harder. So I always suggest using completely new tank and coil. Also allows to to thoroughly clean the tank you have been using.

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
AllElseFailed, I change coils when the flavor and vapor decline past what is acceptable to me. So it could be totally different for you.

Your protank and t3s coils, however, can be dry burned and it will rejuvenate them and they will last a lot longer. I take out the coil and microwave it in a bowl of water for a couple of minutes, dry it off, then put it back in the base of your atty. Then just put the base on your mod and give it a few 5 second pulses. That will burn all the gunk off the coil. (But don't do this for coils that have cotton wicks without taking out the wick. The silica wicks in pro tanks/t3s will be fine. The silica won't burn). When the coil glows red, you are finished. I usually microwave the coil again after that, then put it back in the atty and vape. The coil should almost be as good as new. Dry burning can make your coils last a lot longer. When a t3s was my main vape, I could get weeks out of a coil by dry burning a few times.

Thank you, LInda! Another really good reply. I didn't even realize that dry-burning could be done with these types of tanks. I think I may have to take one apart and just really check it out so I'll know exactly what you're talking about with each part.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Annoying, ain't it? If you're buying new tanks and coils are so cheap, I think Krisma's weekly coil-change, needed or not, sounds like a pretty good idea but I'm going to let this first one quit or otherwise go obviously bad, just to see what it's like.

I only have a couple of flavours going so it's easy for me. When I first started I had gazillions of tanks and flavours all at the same time. You will find your rhythm quite quickly. Your taste is what drives it.

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
I don't know if you have spare gear but I always load new coils or cartos into a new tank. I get it going before I dismantle the old one. There is nothing worse than going to the trouble of loading a new tank and finding the new coil is a bit dodgy. The stress of needing to get it going makes it harder. So I always suggest using completely new tank and coil. Also allows to to thoroughly clean the tank you have been using.

Thanks. I think that happened to me once. It was on a Vivi Nova. The first time I used it and no matter how many puffs I attempted to take, there was VERY little vapor and it tasted like burnt cotton. I had already filled it with juice, of course. I ended up dumping the juice into a different tank and it was fine.

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
And don't throw out the coil assembly! Put them aside, you might want to learn to rebuild them someday. Especially if things go hard for vaping.

Down the road, I would like to. And I hope that I have enough time to wait until I'm more comfortable with things!

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Thank you for this reply! And sorry I jumped the gun on the sigh :oops: . That actually makes sense to me. I have one I think could be to that point, so I think I'll change it, but not throw away the old one. That way, if I'm wrong and there's is no difference, I will still have the old one. No waste!
You can soak the old one in alcohol overnight and let it dry for a day and it should be almost as good as new. You can also rewick and or recoil those coils. If you should desire to do so. Several good videos on you tube on how to do it.

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
I only have a couple of flavours going so it's easy for me. When I first started I had gazillions of tanks and flavours all at the same time. You will find your rhythm quite quickly. Your taste is what drives it.

That is EXACTLY how I am. I have tons at least 5 different flavors/tanks going at once, sometimes more. I was hoping that it would eventually transition to where I only have to carry a couple with me when I go to work, instead of a whole case full of stuff that I may or may not touch during the day. I think I just really want to be sure that I have no reason at all to smoke. The other part is that trying out different flavors are SO much fun!

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
You can soak the old one in alcohol overnight and let it dry for a day and it should be almost as good as new. You can also rewick and or recoil those coils. If you should desire to do so. Several good videos on you tube on how to do it.

Thanks for that. I will feel much better if I don't have to throw them away. I could just have a stockpile of old ones waiting to be rebuilt for when I'm ready! Good idea!

cincocc

Jul 27, 2015
Illinois, USA

Do you know what? That never occurred to me! That one would have several going at the same time. Duh! I was thinking about getting another EVOD as a backup but thought "that's just greedy", LOL! Geez! I was thinking when I get the Tribeca that I would have to figure out how to get the juice out of the tank, ROFLMAO! DUH!! I could buy 4 EVODs for the cost of a single carton of cigarettes! Sheesh...vaping makes EVERYthing different, LOL

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
That is EXACTLY how I am. I have tons at least 5 different flavors/tanks going at once, sometimes more. I was hoping that it would eventually transition to where I only have to carry a couple with me when I go to work, instead of a whole case full of stuff that I may or may not touch during the day. I think I just really want to be sure that I have no reason at all to smoke. The other part is that trying out different flavors are SO much fun!

I don't use my main gear for trying flavours. My system is like this

Get new flavour and smell if you don't like the smell you won't Vape it.
Put a couple of drops in a tablespoon of water and taste it. Flavour is very similar to the muted taste of vapour.
Use a dripper of sorts to try if you like it keep trying it over a couple of days
If I like it enough I put in a small tank and keep trying over a couple of days
If it's still in rotation I will give it a proper setup

I hate devoting or spending money on coils or cartos for something that got old quickly. With me there is always a honeymoon period for anything new. So it has to pass the three day test. If I am still using something regularly (eliquid or gear) after three days then it's a keeper. :p

cincocc

Jul 27, 2015
Illinois, USA

Put a couple of drops in a tablespoon of water and taste it. Flavour is very similar to the muted taste of vapour.
Use a dripper of sorts to try if you like it keep trying it over a couple of days

I hate devoting or spending money on coils or cartos for something that got old quickly. With me there is always a honeymoon period for anything new. So it has to pass the three day test. If I am still using something regularly (eliquid or gear) after three days then it's a keeper. :p

Man! I'm bookmarking this thread for reference.

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL

I hate devoting or spending money on coils or cartos for something that got old quickly. With me there is always a honeymoon period for anything new. So it has to pass the three day test. If I am still using something (eliquid or gear) after three days then it's a keeper. :p

I actually meant by trying out flavors that I like to have a lot going at one time to find an ADV. When I try them I just put a tiny bit in a PT3 and if it's bad, I rinse it out and let it dry overnight and use it again later. I have enough (due to shinyitis) to try a different flavor in a different tank after. Thank goodness. I never heard of doing the taste test, but I have tasted the ones I really liked to vape before. Just a tiny tiny bit on my finger. I don't have a dripper, or even understand how to drip. I really like the 3 day test and try something similar myself! I like your system if I could just get the dripping part figured out.

cincocc

Jul 27, 2015
Illinois, USA
Man! I'm bookmarking this thread for reference.

The more I think about it the funnier it is. Here I was, thinking it was going to be this whole big "thang", trying various juices until I find one that I like and trying to clean up the tank for each one...lol...what a dork!

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I actually meant by trying out flavors that I like to have a lot going at one time to find an ADV. When I try them I just put a tiny bit in a PT3 and if it's bad, I rinse it out and let it dry overnight and use it again later. I have enough (due to shinyitis) to try a different flavor in a different tank after. Thank goodness. I never heard of doing the taste test, but I have tasted the ones I really liked to vape before. Just a tiny tiny bit on my finger. I don't have a dripper, or even understand how to drip. I really like the 3 day test and try something similar myself! I like your system if I could just get the dripping part figured out.

You can still get 510 bridgeless atomisers really cheaply. They are just the coil and you out a couple of drops directly on the coil. Hit the fire and you get a pretty good understanding of what it will taste like with a wick fed clearomizer.

You can also buy dripping atomisers but that might be a bit scary if you are new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread