Quick mech mod question

Status
Not open for further replies.

louietsang

Jun 29, 2015
So after reading many posts here and studying battery safety and watching tons of YouTube vids I've decided to delve into mech mod territory... Been using a variable w device for past month or so but I'm starting to want to get more into the hobby side of vaping and collecting.... My one last question is I know a lot of people tend to go .3-.1 ohms on mech mods And my guess is that Bc it hits harder and produces tons of vapor right? I have tried my friends mech mod in the past and it was too rough on my throat(though could of been his higher nic content).... But my real situation is if I wanted to start off slow do I heluild coils closer to a positive number so it's not as crazy and eventually work my way down the ohm level as I get used to the hit?

Thanks!

Reactions: Kaezziel

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I use mechs exclusively.

Most mech users comfot zone is in the .4-1.5 ohm range for builds. The lower end requires a really good knowledge of battery safety and battery limits and also a very good understanding of Ohms Law. @Baditude has a great blog with all the info you need to begin building coils for any mod. Make sure you're really careful with mechs because there is nothing cutting the battery off but you. The most important safety feature of a mech mod is the one between your ears. (paraphrased from something I hear @suprtrkr say)

Baditude's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

@Mooch has some great charts and bench tests for the most popular batteries and I hear he's working on some new stuff specifically for mech users. check out his blog as well

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

On a personal note, I STRONGLY recommend AGAINST ANYONE build down below .4ohms total when intending to use it on a mech.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Starting slow and working up is ususlly a good idea. I personally don't like to build 1-battery mechs below about .5, and that's with fresh Sony VTC4s in it. A two battery parallel box I will take to .3, even .25, but like you, that's too hot for me. I get great flavor and better-than-medium cloud-- actually, the best clouds I blow-- on my Dark Horse coiled .65 dual, wicked rayon, on a tube mech.

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
First and foremost, study up on battery safety. I find a build that low to make vapor that's just too hot for my liking. I have tried other people's that are that low, but I just don't like it. On my own mech builds I haven't gone below .6 ohms. Actually I tend to stay around .8 ohms. This is just a personal preference.

Make sure you have an ohm meter and, yes, start high and work you're way down to where you're comfortable.

louietsang

Jun 29, 2015
YUp I read that blog and studied extensively... I actually don't plan to build too low Bc I'm more of a flavor chaser vs cloud/vapor chaser. I was just more worried about the intensity of the initial hit. If it's too crazy I tend to cough it out or something anyways and when I was a cig smoker even Marlboro red or reg newports were quite irritable... My RTA has been as low as .5 and I was ok with that so aiming around that number give or take .1 I should be fine with the intensity right?

And yup I have a multimeter and ohm reader also ready, bought all the tools and studied them before even I ordered my mech :)

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
i do also wanna thank you guys in advanced im sure you get asked the same questions over and over all the time, the patience/help you guys give is impeccable.

Its our pleasure! The motto here tends to be Vape Happy, Vape Safe! (at least for me it is):toast:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Ach, where are my manners? I have forgotten to welcome you to the world of mech mods. I love 'em, and I use them a lot. There are safety issues, and it can be a challenge to make them hit well. A regulated mod is far more versatile. But for me, that's part of the fun. I hope it works out that way for you as well.

Last edited:

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Ach, where are my manners? I have forgotten to welcome you to the world of mech mods. I love 'em, and I use them a lot. There are safety issues, and it can be a challenge to make them hit well. A regulated mod is far more versitile. But for me, that's part of the fun. I hope it works out tjat way for you as well.

+1

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I do tend to push the boundaries a bit further than you guys do, but I won't throw that around here. What I will do is wholeheartedly agree with the advice given here, and I commend louietsang for doing the research first and then still asking questions. My one word of caution is to be as picky with the batteries that you intend on using in your mech. You didn't mention what batteries you had or what you had ordered. I highly recommend picking up several Sony VTC4s... from a reputable vendor. My personal favorites are Orbtronic and RTDVapor.
Be sure that you understand how resistance works, as well. If your target is 0.5 ohms, then build a single 0.5 ohm coil. If you want dual coils, then you'll need two 1.0 ohm coils because when you wire them in parallel, their resistance is effectively halved.
Other than that, I'll leave you with a wishful parting... 'May your wicks stay wet, and your vape be thick and flavorful!'

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
I do tend to push the boundaries a bit further than you guys do, but I won't throw that around here. What I will do is wholeheartedly agree with the advice given here, and I commend louietsang for doing the research first and then still asking questions. My one word of caution is to be as picky with the batteries that you intend on using in your mech. You didn't mention what batteries you had or what you had ordered. I highly recommend picking up several Sony VTC4s... from a reputable vendor. My personal favorites are Orbtronic and RTDVapor.
Be sure that you understand how resistance works, as well. If your target is 0.5 ohms, then build a single 0.5 ohm coil. If you want dual coils, then you'll need two 1.0 ohm coils because when you wire them in parallel, their resistance is effectively halved.
Other than that, I'll leave you with a wishful parting... 'May your wicks stay wet, and your vape be thick and flavorful!'
I am with you. You can see my avy, I am typically a low builder. I was going to ask the same thing... Batteries?

louietsang

Jun 29, 2015
Using a vtc5(I know these are not 35a but rather 30a) that I bought off a reputable non eBay non Amazon vendor :) also got 2 lg he2 But those are in my vw devices

And my mech mod and rda came in today and I did build the parallel coils that came out to around .48-9 on my ohm reader device and around the same on the dna40 box.

The vape was perfect... a bit thicker than what I usually am used to on the dna40 box mod i been using but slowly getting used to it.

But damn the flavor is so much better on an rda vs me Lemo 2 tank. Which is what I'm more into.

Thanks again everyone.

louietsang

Jun 29, 2015
Haha as you can u tell I pretty much went all in on this hobby... And being a person who builds his own PC and and all that it's fun making sure everything is correct and safe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827.8 KB · Views: 17

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
Do you already have experience coil building? If not I would recommend using an ipv mini 2 or another removable battery mod for a few reasons. The biggest reason is short protection. If you're new to building, that added protection is very good to have. Also, it's good to be able to adjust the wattage and fine tune your power to see what style coil, and what size you prefer. And since you'll already have the batteries and charger you can get one of the million mods available. It's up to you, but mechanical mods can be dangerous. They're also reliable and simple if used correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread