Kanger TOCC heads in T3S clearomizers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
These may or may not work very well for thin high PG juices, but they've not worked out well for me using thinned high VG juices. I like the 3ml juice capacity of the T3S clearmizers, and they are dirt cheap, but there is nothing exciting to write home about the vapor and flavor you get out of the regular wick (single bottom coil) T3S coil heads. The new Kanger TOCC (T3S organic cotton) heads deliver very, very good vapor (truly satisfying), and pretty decent flavor, but only for about half a day before the coil gunks up and the cotton wick burns out when using high VG juices. Thinning the high VG juice, which I do regularly anyway, simply doesn't seem to help much at all. This is too bad, as the TOCC heads seemed at first to show some real potential.

Anyone have some better suggestions for an eGo sized clearomizer (or tank) that will vape high VG juice well, and last a reasonable length of time? I've tried Aspire's products (most of them except the sub ohm tanks), the Kanger Subtank Mini, Kanger EVOD, Mini Davide, etc. All with very little luck, though the Innokin iClear 16 has been the most consistently "okay" clearomizer I've tried so far with thinned high VG juice. I currently use an iStick 30W vv/vw mini box mod and several Innokin iTaste vv/vw V3s.

I've also done my own coils for a Kayfun Lite RTA, as well as the Subtank Mini, but still had regular cotton wick issues I never entirely overcame. I'm not terribly interested in just using a dripper, as I vape regularly all day, often while driving - which a decent capacity clearomizer or tank seems much better suited for than a dripping setup. I'm interested in the Aspire 1.8 ohm Triton, but I've had pretty bad luck with Aspire's BVC heads spitting hot juice (regardless of model size), so I'm pretty wary of taking another chance on an Aspire product. The iLeaf GS Air series of clearomizers and tanks is another possibility I've yet to tryout, and they are cheap, but I've read that they are pretty noisy (which I may not care about if they at least work).

Any ideas for me to try?

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I think you're running a little too much power/voltage for the heads and vape style. I don't see them gunk up and then burn, more like gunk up because they are burning. If a head only lasts a short while, usually the case. Turning up the settings sometimes is good at first, more vapor, but after a minute that goes away and if one persists the result is less vapor.

I believe the low end Kanger style singlecoils are made with a fact in mind: technically it is easier to regulate the voltage down from the battery voltage, than have to boost or cut voltage as settings and battery change. Straight full-charge batteries, e.g. 4.2V, will always burn them. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that great for producing just a little more vapor than they are aiming at.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
    Aug 24, 2010
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Mcclintock, you are probably right about the coils gunking up after the wick has burned. I ran the TOCC heads at pretty low power though, around 3 volts, sometimes up to 3.3 volts, but usually less - as little as 2.6 volts. That seems pretty low to me - much lower than the typicall 3.7 to 4.2 volts you'd get using an unregulated battery instead. My equipment can't actually go any lower than 2.6 volts anyway (using a 1.8 ohm coil), and those voltage ranges produced good vapor - for the first 1/2 of the day anyway. I didn't need to turn the voltage up, so I don't think overly high voltage was the issue - or at least it shouldn't have been.

When I took the burntout TOCC coil heads apart, the organic cotton wick seemed pretty tight in the coils, but it may have been fused in there after burning. Previously, I had tried pulling out a bit of that wick and trimming it back a little on some of the heads prior to priming with juice and first firing. I had hoped that would help wick the juice better with less material packed in there, but it failed to help any at all that I could tell. When I switched back to using iClear 16s, my juice was so thinned out I had leak issues I'd never seen before with those clearomizers, so I had to re-thicken the juice. I just don't think Kanger's TOCC heads are very good if they can't even last very long at low voltages with thinned out juices.

I'm looking at getting into using temperature control heads in different tanks on a 75W Pioneer4You IPV D2 I've preordered. TC certainly might help with the early wick burnout issues I often seem to have with nearly every organic cotton wicked topper I've ever tried. The GS Air tanks have optional temperature control heads available now, so I may try one of the GS Air tanks. I can use regular (non-TC, cotton or silica wick) coil heads in that while I wait on that P4Y IPV D2 to eventually show up. I've been using a lot of Vaperite (and Liberty Flights) tobacco flavored e-liquid recently too. Those NET type juices tend to clog wicks earlier than some other juices I've tried, but admittedly not usually within a single day! I can stop using those juices and try something much, much clearer - like Wordup or Vapure's high VG juices. I won't be trying the TOCC heads again though.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Doesn't sound like you're just burning it (slowly) then. May be running too low, even. I haven't decided totally about the new coils either. Seem really good at first. I was rewicking brand new coils so it's definitely easier than that. But I ended up using 1 each of the new coils in several tanks, rather than a real effort to compare coils with one flavor. I haven't tried to rewick one either -- was having trouble getting the old silica wicks out, this almost has to be better in that respect.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread