Research claims vape nic more addicting than cig nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Actually, I'll amend my general statement by saying that flying (the whole 'airport>flying>airport' routine) is a bit stressful - and I stealth vape and use snus on planes - it helps, but again, not half as bad as when I was smoking.

I just toughed it out when I smoked. vaping makes long layovers, delayed planes and 18 hour days a lot easier...

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I vape at around 9 watts, and I use high PG liquids at 12mg strength.
I don't feel anything at all from nicotine, either fast or slow.

The only time I've ever felt anything from nicotine was when I had too much too soon.
I went from feeling nothing at all to feeling nauseous, and got a headache.

The first time was when I swallowed some Red Man juice when I was a kid.

The other time was when I got a sampler of around 20 flavors two weeks after I started vaping.
They only had samples in 18mg but that didn't worry me.

I started chain-vaping in an effort to try them all.
But I didn't make it all the way.

Same for me. The only thing I've ever "felt" from nicotine was nothing I wanted to feel.

Otherwise, it just makes me "normal" -- whatever that is. :D

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm with Kent on that too. Nicotine has always helped me focus, and the big reason I enjoyed smoking so much.
My career (information technology) demands a pretty high focus, attention to detail, and constant learning. I found that, when needing to learn a new skill or study for an certification exam, going out to the smoking area and reading/studying with a pack of cigarettes was WAY more useful than doing it without smoking... I could absorb the material much easier. Even when troubleshooting a complex problem, we used to call it "going outside to think about it" when we grabbed our packs and headed out, and nine times out of ten we'd solve it right there after a cigarette or two. Perhaps it's just psychological, and that certain is at play (taking a "break"), but I do consider nicotine to be a contributing factor to success in those situations.
I am in the same field, and experience EXACTLY what you experience.
I could have written most of that post myself, word for word.

Except for one thing...

Going outside to have a cigarette break is what always helped me to relax and focus.
It had very little to do, if anything, with the nicotine in my case.

Can't speak for anyone else though.
:)

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
I don't like how people claim nic in e-cigs isn't addictive, especially that video. I tried to quite vaping cold turkey and it was a nic withdrawal hell. It seems dishonest to me, honestly. I got addicted to nic from chewing tobacco. I didn't even smoke so I didn't get the other chemicals. Nicotine is addictive as hell.

Reactions: stevegmu

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Moonbogg, I'm going to suggest you avail yourself of the studies listed and explained over at CASAA.org. One of them covers nicotine addiction of lit tobacco cigarettes vs vaping nicotine and the reasons why. I had no idea a couple of yrs. ago and find it very informative. :)

Last edited:

satchvai

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2015
Off the grid
Anecdotal proof for me is if I go a couple hours without vaping, I'm not pulling used wicks and diluting the last little bits of ejuice to drink to get a nic fix. As a smoker I would be .... surfing or walking a few miles to the store to get a pack of smokes.

I do chain vape on a high watt mod but it's because I love, LOVE, the flavor and really enjoy taking guilt free puffs. I've also noticed most of my puffs now are short and more reminiscent of smoking a cigar vs the typical lung hits associated with this type of vaping.

satchvai

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2015
Off the grid
The real test would be to put the mod down for a week, or even 2 days...
Not for me. If I ran out of smokes, there was a five alarm bell that would go off and finding another cigarette required all my resources until I was able to get another puff. With vaping, I've had times where I'd spend a few hours testing zero nic DIY mixes and not felt a bit of withdrawal. Totally different than when I was smoking. I believe at this point I could go zero nic if I wanted to.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Not for me. If I ran out of smokes, there was a five alarm bell that would go off and finding another cigarette required all my resources until I was able to get another puff. With vaping, I've had times where I'd spend a few hours testing zero nic DIY mixes and not felt a bit of withdrawal. Totally different than when I was smoking. I believe at this point I could go zero nic if I wanted to.

I think the act of vaping is addictive, not just the nicotine...

satchvai

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2015
Off the grid
I think the act of vaping is addictive, not just the nicotine...
That may be so, just like chocolate or binge watching Netflix but is it a dependency like cigarettes. My opinion is not in the slightest. I have the ability to make my ejuice as strong as I want but my last batch I mixed at 2mg. If nicotine alone were so addicting, you'd think I'd be mixing it at 36mg.
On a personal note, nicotine is beneficial for some mental health issues I deal with, thus the reason I keep enough in to stave off the dark moods.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
That may be so, just like chocolate or binge watching Netflix but is it a dependency like cigarettes. My opinion is not in the slightest. I have the ability to make my ejuice as strong as I want but my last batch I mixed at 2mg. If nicotine alone were so addicting, you'd think I'd be mixing it at 36mg.

I'm the other way. I don't get anything out of vaping no nic., or even low nic. e-liquid.

satchvai

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2015
Off the grid
I'm the other way. I don't get anything out of vaping no nic., or even low nic. e-liquid.
That's what works for you. I have a friend who has been vaping 36mg cinnamon for two years. Even drips it. I'd be passed out if I did that! Nicotine is metabolized differently by different folks is the conclusion I come to.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That's what works for you. I have a friend who has been vaping 36mg cinnamon for two years. Even drips it. I'd be passed out if I did that! Nicotine is metabolized differently by different folks is the conclusion I come to.

You know... we have no idea who you're talking to, since you aren't using the "reply" button which would automatically include a quote...

Andria

satchvai

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2015
Off the grid
You know... we have no idea who you're talking to, since you aren't using the "reply" button which would automatically include a quote...

Andria

My cuurent ADV guabana 50/50 mix with 12mg on a KT evod mod if that helps.

I'm open suggestions on nic level, watts/ohms etc and trying some new mixes, especially now my subox mini is on its way.

I know green apple 24mg on a kbox mod 0.5ohm 40watt...blew my socks off lol![/QUOTE]

Andria
Sorry. BTW I've really learned a lot from you these past couple months that I've been lurking. Nice to meet you.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
When people say the nicotine in vaping is not addictive, what they mean is the nicotine in vaping, on its own, will not create dependence. If you already have nicotine dependence, from tobacco use, smoked or otherwise, vaping does help to satiate it.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
My cuurent ADV guabana 50/50 mix with 12mg on a KT evod mod if that helps.

I'm open suggestions on nic level, watts/ohms etc and trying some new mixes, especially now my subox mini is on its way.

I know green apple 24mg on a kbox mod 0.5ohm 40watt...blew my socks off lol!

Sorry. BTW I've really learned a lot from you these past couple months that I've been lurking. Nice to meet you.

Back atcha. :D If the 12mg is satisfying, no need to change it. I don't really know the Evods, I didn't start with those, but with the Kanger T3S and Mini Protank II, but I think they're all pretty similar. I don't know the subox either; I use strictly rebuildables, but I know in general that as the ohms go down, and/or wattage goes up, you need less nicotine and more airflow. Me, I'm just a tootle puffer, I build coils in the 1.5-1.8 ohms range, and generally run my mods between 8.5 and 10 watts, depending on the atty -- kayfuns are 10w, RDAs usually 8.5 or 9w. I've been at 10mg since I recovered from my relapse last summer, though recently with my new Achilles RDAs, I've dropped to 9mg because the throat-hit is so intense.

:thumb:
Andria

Reactions: Lessifer

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Of course, magical Pharma nicotine in NRT is completely harmless and non-addictive, having been infused with copious amounts of kickbackerine. That's why NRT can be openly sold with FDA's blessing over the counter, with no limits, to anyone 12 years and older.

This. :thumbs:

Nicotine Replacement Therapy Labels May Change
Quote:
"The changes that FDA is allowing to these labels reflect the fact that although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence."
"The NRT gum and patch products were switched to OTC marketing between 1996 and 2002, based on scientific research showing that these products were safe for use without a prescription. The nicotine lozenge and mini-lozenge were approved directly for OTC use in 2002 and 2009, respectively."

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
yeah, i am sure it is much slower for someone using a cig-alike or ego-style device to get the nicotine.

I think the issue here, though, is more about vapers who have never smoked developing a dependency and then switching to cigarettes. Thats the only reason that nicotine addiction is a bad thing... and its only hypothetical, no one has actually even proved that the switch of a never-smoker to tobacco is common. But, for some non-smoker taking up vaping, possibly because they are curious about the hobby aspect of it, they are more likely to skip the devices that serve as cigarette reminders.

This might surprise you, but there seems to exist no "nicotine addiction" after all. Nicotine alone, without the added effect of the MAOI's present in tobacco smoke, does not seem to be very addictive at all. And let's face it: with the thousands of different substances in tobacco smoke, how could anyone possibly be even remotely sure that nicotine is the *only* culprit?

Quote:
"The changes that FDA is allowing to these labels reflect the fact that although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence."
"The NRT gum and patch products were switched to OTC marketing between 1996 and 2002, based on scientific research showing that these products were safe for use without a prescription. The nicotine lozenge and mini-lozenge were approved directly for OTC use in 2002 and 2009, respectively."

And the concern about "people trying nicotine and then moving to smoking" was never there, when never-smokers were treated with nicotine patches. Those treatments were made anyway. And the results afterwards? No withdrawal symptoms, no people keeping using the patch, much less taking up smoking. :)
There are many Pharma medicines out there with a much greater potencial for addiction than naturally-ocurring nicotine in Nature.

Nicotine Propaganda
Nicotine Propaganda
The Great Nicotine Myth
Is Nicotine Addictive ?
Nicotine Clinical Trials: Why Aren't There Any?

ETA:

On one hand, ANTZ's will tell us that there are thousands of different substances in tobacco smoke, and that a lot of them have not even been identified yet. It's the same old "we don't know, therefore it *must* be bad" BS. And how do they "know" those other substances are there, without identifying them first? :facepalm:

On the other hand, they will tell us that "our knowledge of tobacco smoke is so complete today, that we were even been able to identify the *only* addictive substance in tobacco smoke.

Well, which one is it? ANTZ's really need to make up their minds, because they clearly cannot have both.

Last edited:

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
On one hand, ANTZ's will tell us that there are thousands of different substances in tobacco smoke, and that a lot of them have not even been identified yet. It's the same old "we don't know, therefore it *must* be bad" BS. And how do they "know" those other substances are there, without identifying them first? :facepalm:

On the other hand, they will tell us that "our knowledge of tobacco smoke is so complete today, that we were even been able to identify the *only* addictive substance in tobacco smoke.

Well, which one is it? ANTZ's really need to make up their minds, because they clearly cannot have both.
On the contrary, one of the things that makes their propaganda so frustrating is that they DO have it both ways. They routinely contradict themselves. Consider how they at one point they claim that smokers "titrate" their dose with exquisite precision, then turn around and claim that manufacturers "spike" cigarettes with nicotine so that smokers supposedly don't know when they're getting more of it - which if they did know would result in their smoking fewer cigarettes and therefore being exposed to fewer of the scary chemicals, etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread