Status
Not open for further replies.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Good morning, Voltmaniacs....The gentleman has plenty of tattoos and seems like he might have gang affiliations. Still, although on guard, we chat with him. He says, "I'll put it in your GPS, do you have phones?"....We were laughing so hard we almost bust a gut. We are pretty sure they were a couple of gang members stripping the car in a deserted cul-de-sac and here we are a couple of old ladies chatting with them like we didn't know what was going on. Could have been the scene out of a comedy movie.

I will add that at no time did we sense that we were in danger. We are both pretty street savvy.
Yesterday I was uncomfortable. I have a letter from my audiologist saying that I need an alarm dog, and I am getting emotionally charged at the prospect of a little friend who should reduce panic attacks in the middle of the night. I have also requested a hasp and padlock for my outside door to protect the place when I am gone. The owners are trying to upgrade the quality of tenants. In the meantime, it looks like parole and probation is recommending the place to their clients, so there is going to be a sorting process going on. We have a core of good people, so hopefully things will slowly improve.

I guess my "paranoid" thoughts and anxiety yesterday were warranted. Some of the people getting evicted are truly paranoid against me. Gut is good. I don't snitch unless others' activities are likely to have a negative consequence on me. I am so naive at times. Will be so good to eventually get the money to get out of here.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
I got a pic! It is not the greatest due to the lighting and the protective net I have on until they all hatch and I can transfer them to their permanent area :)
e9359bd9fd84061f74d4e93868bf3f2a.jpg

Add in: There is a little yellow one! It is not as social as the other. I cannot for the life of me catch an image of it :)

Last edited:

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
What do you mean? Would you want a service dog, Zero?

It could be scary not being able to hear.

Seems like a better living situation would be good.
I can hear someone beating on my door can wake me up, happened twice yesterday morning. But an argument outside or next door just flies right past me. Thunder does not wake me up unless it makes the ground shake; I sleep on an air mattress on the floor. Not exactly a trained service dog, but one that does the guard/alarm service that dogs normally do. I can't move now, since I am likely to be moving within a year.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
I can hear someone beating on my door can wake me up, happened twice yesterday morning. But an argument outside or next door just flies right past me. Thunder does not wake me up unless it makes the ground shake; I sleep on an air mattress on the floor. Not exactly a trained service dog, but one that does the guard/alarm service that dogs normally do. I can't move now, since I am likely to be moving within a year.

Maybe a trained service dog is an option for you since a well trained dog is a joy to have. Have you ever contacted any organization that could inform you/help you with an appropriate companion?

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Another thing that could be with a trained service dog is that an apartment complex can't really say no to a trained service dog so your options may be better when you look for another apartment. You would need to find out more info to know if that is so in your state. I'm just sure there has to be an organization that could help you with information.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Maybe a trained service dog is an option for you since a well trained dog is a joy to have. Have you ever contacted any organization that could inform you/help you with an appropriate companion?
I know that I don't want to deal with puppy stuff. I do need to Be selective, and get one that is verified to do what I need it to do. I am thinking of several agencies that might help. Thanks.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
I know that I don't want to deal with puppy stuff. I do need to Be selective, and get one that is verified to do what I need it to do. I am thinking of several agencies that might help. Thanks.

A trained service dog will not be a puppy since they have grow up enough to be trained and then actually get the training.

It is good that you are thinking of some organizations that could help you find the right companion.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
0, a trained service dog would be a great asset, without a doubt, plus a pet is always good for the soul. Just keep in mind the costs associated with it, like food and veterinary care. I hate to think of what we've spent on surgeries for Bo.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
So long as there are no immediate vet needs, not a problem. I called a local vet, they took my name, and referred me to the shelter. I had already called the shelter once a few weeks ago, but this time I got better results. The vet's clerk said the shelter does do a good job of matching dogs to potential owners.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I have an interesting problem. I tutored today, and the girl read about how mammals, including humans, give milk to feed their babies. She can hardly believe it's so. She and her siblings were bottle-fed. She had never heard of such a thing. I told her I breast-fed my daughter, and we discussed it as well as her reading the stuff I brought. She completely accepted the fact that animals breast-feed and produce milk, but that humans do it, too, seemed to overwhelm her imagination.

Anyway, somehow, she mentioned that men could give birth, too, and I told her that was impossible, since women have things inside them to accommodate a baby that men don't have. She disagreed. She said she had Googled it and read about a man having a baby. She wanted me to look it up and verify it. I did, and there have been a number of men who have had babies, but the first, with lots of pictures, was a man who was born a woman and had gone through a sex-change operation, removing his breasts and getting hormones, but never having a hysterectomy. So this man has had 3 kids! I don't think there has been a man who was born male who has ever given birth, though one site I read said it would be possible but very dangerous. Some women have abdominal pregnancies, where the fertilized egg doesn't go up into the uterus. I didn't read if any of these pregnancies resulted in a live birth, though. They were mainly discussing if a man could carry a fetus.

OK, the problem is, I have to explain to this 8-year-old girl how those men who gave birth weren't born men, and how they had the female equipment to do it. This will get into the discussion of sex-change operations, and I wonder if she's ready for such information.

I hate to just leave it as, "Yes, some special men can have babies, but most men can't." That seems like such a cop-out. And she's sure to ask what's special about those men who can do it vs. the ones that can't. Whew!

What would you do?

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
You're in a tough spot, Sandy, although Bruce/Caitlin Jenner was just in the news to use as an illustrative point...if you decide to go that way. I'd ask her parents for their permission, or at least their thoughts, on something this sophisticated. Birds and bees with an eight year old can be really dicey!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I did read, somewhere, where it is technically possible for a man to carry a fetus through gestation in the abdomen. Blood supply would need to be addressed and the actual delivery would have to be through Caesarian Section. Needless to say, getting pregnant is impossible. I don't think it's how I would want to gain notoriety though.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
She's eight so keep it simple and move on. Just tell her that man is a woman that looks like a man but is really a woman. Yeah, confusing but true.

Women have babies and men normally don't.

That's the way it is.

That's good answer.

Meanwhile, the boy is on a safer topic. After reading about volcanoes, now he wants to know about earthquakes. I lived through the 1980s Loma Prieta quake just outside of San Francisco (in Pacifica), while Bill was driving in SF, and told him about his and my experiences and how it messed up San Francisco. I'll give him more info about earthquakes in general and how they happen and some specific info on what went on in SF.

Meanwhile, I'm beginning to read a book by Mark Twain about his European travels, and he mentioned William Tell, so I think the boy would be interested in reading that story. He liked the story about King Arthur.

BTW, I think the library book I have is actually autographed by Mark Twain! Is that possible? I want to point it out to someone when I return the book.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Anything is possible, Sandy.

We brought Bo home late this afternoon. He's not in too bad a shape, just has trouble getting really comfortable. To say he was happy to see us, and home, is an understatement. He'll be on lots of pain meds and antibiotics for the next week or so and he can only eat light meals, about half what he normally gets, for the next day or two, but at least he's home in familiar, comfortable, surroundings. We both really missed him.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I wonder how Rave is doing. We haven't heard from her in a while, and while I know sometimes she wants to be private, it still worries me a little. Terry, have you heard from her? Is she OK?

She is fine but has been a bit depressed with all that has been going on in her life the last couple of months. I haven't seen much of her either except for a 2 hr visit 2 wks ago but she and her BF when cruising all over southern Indiana and even into Kentucky last weekend looking for places to fish and checked out some caves and that seemed to bring her out of it. We went camping and fishing yesterday and just got back a few hours ago so she is now feeling a lot better. We had a great time. You all should be hearing from her soon. She feels bad about not being around but she needed time to herself.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Anything is possible, Sandy.

We brought Bo home late this afternoon. He's not in too bad a shape, just has trouble getting really comfortable. To say he was happy to see us, and home, is an understatement. He'll be on lots of pain meds and antibiotics for the next week or so and he can only eat light meals, about half what he normally gets, for the next day or two, but at least he's home in familiar, comfortable, surroundings. We both really missed him.

I'm glad he's home. I think he missed you, too. I think he will heal faster where he feels safe and comfortable. Still sending vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread