Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I am curious about the pg alternative. what are the properties, advantages etc. and when it will come out.

I am curious about this too. I am also curious if the PG-free line had always been slated to be diketone-free since there was no mention of the diektone part in the first posted article (4/30/15) on the new product. No offense, but it seems like it was added after the fact. The wording on the site* seems to imply--whether intentional or not-- that the two, diketones and PG, have some sort of connection. I doubt you all intended it to be read as such, but to me that's how it reads.

*"To satisfy any consumers who are looking for a line of e-liquids that are completely diacetyl and AP-free, this summer we are introducing a new PG-alternative line of vapor liquids that will deliver the same legendary flavor profiles that five pawns is known for, while offering an alternative to people with PG sensitivity. The new line of vapor liquids will also solve the flavor problem for those who have sacrificed taste in pursuit of greater vapor production."

Note: underscored by me.

Not that I need to say this, but I had been a 5P customer for a while. So this is coming from someone that had supported you all for the past couple years.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
They are not being attacked, they are being questioned. As was mentioned earlier, this thread isn't for you to suck up to a vendor. It is for them to answer questions about their product. If you don't have questions for 5 pawns, you don't need to be posting in this thread.

Take a look as it is a registered vendors thread. Certainly you can ask questions, but you want to make it a witch hunt. It's plain to see you don't vape Five Pawns and never will so what's your point? I don't need to ask Five Pawns any questions, but I can sure post how much I enjoy their juice and customer service.

Fanboys can leave their positive comments, but don't need to be trying to justify their support of a crooked company or making up answers for questions that were not directed at them

You are not attacking Five Pawns? Just read what you post.

Rob Fitz

Unregistered Supplier
Jan 20, 2013
California
Good point YoursTruli. As we have been asked to pose questions which you will presumably answer, I would like to ask some questions that there seems to be some confusion about.

Gavin,
  • Did any employees of 5 pawns state to customers via phone, email or any other means that your products did not contain DA or AP?
  • Did Cloud 9 request test results prior to their own testing, and if so, what were they told exactly?
  • Has the formula for any of your liquids changed in the past year up until today, resulting in a change in levels of AP or DA?
  • From what I have read about GC testing, GC-FID testing CAN accurately show diketone concentration but only IF the equipment was calibrated specifically for AP and DA prior to testing. Was this calibration done in the case of your GC-FID test results?
  • Does your company contribute monetarily to any scientific research relating to the safety of ingredients that you use in your eliquids?
  • Do you, or any executive member of Five Pawns have any relationship with Mr. Mark Burton, the author of the letter below, that involves him with Five Pawns as a lawyer, investment banker, or consultant other than strictly in his role as "Co-President of Southern California SFATA"? An Open Letter to The Ecig Industry Regarding Accusations | The Vaping Militia
  • Does Mr. Burton or any members of his family have, or had, any personal investment or financial interest in Five Pawns?
Thank you in advance for your answers on these questions.
  • Did any employees of 5 pawns state to customers via phone, email or any other means that your products did not contain DA or AP?
Unfortunately yes, a small number of people received an inaccurate response to questions specifically relating to the presence of 2,3 butanedione (diacetyl) and / or 2,3 pentanedione (acetyl propionyl). After much investigation and having to scan all outgoing email from a customer service computer, we unknowingly found that responses sent prior to testing were being sent out between 5/27/14 and 10/19/15. Other than these small numbers of responses, we are not aware of any additional responses that occurred over the phone or otherwise. We feel terribly that these people were misinformed and have reached out to each and every one of them directly. Five Pawns has never advertised, marketed, or promoted the absence of these compounds in our liquids. We’ve only stated that we’ve never added diacetyl to our liquids. Unfortunately the diacetyl being detected was naturally occurring.

• Did Cloud 9 request test results prior to their own testing, and if so, what were they told exactly?
We did have a conversation with Cloud9 where they asked for our results. We explained to them that Five Pawns does not release testing results currently because there is no real standards for testing or validated monographs for testing. We did explain that we have different test from multiple labs that were coming back with different results depending on the methods used. Some were coming back with non-detectable levels of certain compounds, where others were showing varying amounts in PPM. Until there was a better understanding of these test results and what the true exposure issues could be, we felt it was unclear what any of this data meant and needed to understand why there are so many variables for testing. We have spent tremendous resources consulting with chemist and researchers to better understand our products and how we can better standardize these methods. While in the UK for Vape Jam, we tried repeatedly to meet with Cloud9 in person and they unfortunately weren’t interested in meeting with us.

• Has the formula for any of your liquids changed in the past year up until today, resulting in a change in levels of AP or DA?
Yes, and without customers even being aware. We have performed multiple recipe “tweaks” to our formulas over the past year. We’ve only done this when we’ve been able to evolve our products without sacrificing experienceand flavor profile.

• From what I have read about GC testing, GC-FID testing CAN accurately show diketone concentration but only IF the equipment was calibrated specifically for AP and DA prior to testing. Was this calibration done in the case of your GC-FID test results? Yes, and we currently subscribe to the theory that GC/FID is a much more pinpointed test when calibrated to look for these components. Another poster stated they thought GC/MS would give even higher readings. Our CG/MS readings have always proven to show lower levels of detection than that of GC/FID.

• Does your company contribute monetarily to any scientific research relating to the safety of ingredients that you use in your eliquids?
Yes, we are currently funding ongoing studies which we’re excited to share in the not so distant future. We have financially contributed to a Dr. Farcilinos study, have funded e-liquid studies, inhalation studies, and white paper research on comparing occupational exposure of the compounds we’re discussing here as compared to vaping. We’re interested in what’s in the vapor vs. what’s in the liquid and what the exposures are with so many different variables in using the product.

• Do you, or any executive member of Five Pawns have any relationship with Mr. Mark Burton, the author of the letter below, that involves him with Five Pawns as a lawyer, investment banker, or consultant other than strictly in his role as "Co-President of Southern California SFATA"? An Open Letter to The Ecig Industry Regarding Accusations | The Vaping Militia
  • Does Mr. Burton have any personal investment or financial interest in Five Pawns?
We know Mark Burton and consider him a friend. We also feel that Mark has a positive voice within the vapor industry. Mark has absolutely no affiliation with Five Pawns legally, financially, or in any kind of a consulting basis.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Gavin, your response in the previous post got written into LL's post. But aside from it not looking like you replied until you click on his post, let me just say that response is what I've always expected of 5P. Thanks for that candor.

Last edited:

Rob Fitz

Unregistered Supplier
Jan 20, 2013
California
I am curious about this too. I am also curious if the PG-free line had always been slated to be diketone-free since there was no mention of the diektone part in the first posted article (4/30/15) on the new product. No offense, but it seems like it was added after the fact. The wording on the site* seems to imply--whether intentional or not-- that the two, diketones and PG, have some sort of connection. I doubt you all intended it to be read as such, but to me that's how it reads.

*"To satisfy any consumers who are looking for a line of e-liquids that are completely diacetyl and AP-free, this summer we are introducing a new PG-alternative line of vapor liquids that will deliver the same legendary flavor profiles that Five Pawns is known for, while offering an alternative to people with PG sensitivity. The new line of vapor liquids will also solve the flavor problem for those who have sacrificed taste in pursuit of greater vapor production."

Note: underscored by me.

Not that I need to say this, but I had been a 5P customer for a while. So this is coming from someone that had supported you all for the past couple years.
I was wondering if anybody else noticed that too and yes it does seem odd that he only speaks now...... I am interested in what he has to say......if the thread does not get locked first.
I was wondering if anybody else noticed that too and yes it does seem odd that he only speaks now...... I am interested in what he has to say......if the thread does not get locked first.

Yes it's been difficult to get on this forum as a supplier (as some in here have acknowledged). We had to go through the process all over again (and with a little help from Oliver) in converting an old account. We did sign up 2 1/2 years ago and haven’t played in this space because of the extreme bullying we encountered years ago. Granted most of that started on Reddit when we debuted at $0.91 per ml. Honestly, defending simply became too exhausting. We know this isn’t everyone and that there are a ton of good people here looking to converse on various Five Pawns topics but we chose to engage with them on our own forms of social media. We’re only human guys and it never feels good to be the punching bag. Five Pawns was built on the relationships we built with our customers and we felt it was time to come in here and speak to them outside of our channels (no matter which side of the debate you may happen to be on). I will say that many Five Pawns employees remain active users on this forum as well as Reddit.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Five Pawns was built on the relationships we built with our customers and we felt it was time to come in here and speak to them outside of our channels (no matter which side of the debate you may happen to be on). I will say that many Five Pawns employees remain active users on this forum as well as Reddit.

I'm happy you are here now and I'll remain a loyal Five Pawns customer.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Yes it's been difficult to get on this forum as a supplier (as some in here have acknowledged). We had to go through the process all over again (and with a little help from Oliver) in converting an old account. We did sign up 2 1/2 years ago and haven’t played in this space because of the extreme bullying we encountered years ago. Granted most of that started on Reddit when we debuted at $0.91 per ml. Honestly, defending simply became too exhausting. We know this isn’t everyone and that there are a ton of good people here looking to converse on various Five Pawns topics but we chose to engage with them on our own forms of social media. We’re only human guys and it never feels good to be the punching bag. Five Pawns was built on the relationships we built with our customers and we felt it was time to come in here and speak to them outside of our channels (no matter which side of the debate you may happen to be on). I will say that many Five Pawns employees remain active users on this forum as well as Reddit.

I appreciate your candor Gavin. If you only took this step when the Cloud9 controversy began, you would have saved yourself quite a bit of grief, i suspect. When you post a blog and invite comments, and said comments are not published, it does not leave a good impression.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
"Unfortunately yes, a small number of people received an inaccurate response to questions specifically relating to the presence of 2,3 butanedione (diacetyl) and / or 2,3 pentanedione (acetyl propionyl). After much investigation and having to scan all outgoing email from a customer service computer, we unknowingly found that responses sent prior to testing were being sent out between 5/27/14 and 10/19/15. Other than these small numbers of responses, we are not aware of any additional responses that occurred over the phone or otherwise. We feel terribly that these people were misinformed and have reached out to each and every one of them directly. Five Pawns has never advertised, marketed, or promoted the absence of these compounds in our liquids. We’ve only stated that we’ve never added diacetyl to our liquids. Unfortunately the diacetyl being detected was naturally occurring."

Thank you for the response, you should consider a career in politics!

The last part I found to be interestingly worded.
Saying something like "we’ve never added diacetyl to our liquids" implies that either:
a) all ingredients are DA free (unless you did not add the flavourings to the bottles??)
Or
b) is a nonsense statement implying that some vendors would actively add diacetyl as a specific ingredient to their mixes.

I expect it to be the latter.
It is an interesting way of marketing, making people think Diacetyl free, but being far from it (and legally not stating DA free). It seems a bit like when 'health foods' are marketed as being 100% fat free (implying good for you), when in actual fact they are just as bad, due to the manufacturer making up for the lost fat with sugar.
Kudos for that.

I also can deduce that by 'naturally occurring' you actually mean present in the flavourings and not magically appearing out of thin air.

Also the dates need checking for the emails as 10/19/2015 has not occurred yet.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Rob, when one knows he will surely become a punching bag, it takes both courage and commitment to enter the fray. Your willingness to engage despite the potential for an unpleasant reception is something I appreciate greatly. As the conversation continues to unfold, I hope we can all remember that there is far more that brings us together than that separates us.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Thank you very much Gavin for your response to my questions (which I have posted below as they are not apparent in your response). As a business owner, I am sympathetic that employees while meaning well, may not give accurate information and that this is often outside of the control of management. I also can appreciate your position regarding Cloud 9, although I am sure that in hindsight, it would have been a better outcome had 5P proactively just supplied the test results you had in your possession at that time.

I also understand that you have been reformulating your liquids continuously, and I assume that at least part of the reason was to eliminate potentially harmful ingredients. I applaud that. With regards, to GC-FID testing, it is also my understanding that IF pre-calibrated for the compounds being tested for, it can be at least if not more accurate than uncalibrated GC-MS. I also commend you for your investment in scientific research, on behalf of vapers and their safety. Regarding Mark Burton, I hope you can understand the concerns that prompted the question. I have no qualms with Mr. Burtons open letter as long as he truly believes that what he espouses is in the best interests of Vaping, and not just out of financial self interest. If he had further incentive in helping a friend, well, in my opinion there is a certain amount of valor in that as well.

I only have just a couple more questions, if you will be so kind as to further entertain my curiousity. Diacetyl is a naturally occurring compound, typically created as a by-product of fermentation. I believe the following to be true. It's how it possibly came to be in Eliquid in the first place, likely without any malice on the part of flavor makers. Acetyl Propionyl (Pentandedione) on the other hand, is not naturally occuring. It was initially used in this industry to replace Diacetyl to emulate the creamy qualities, in the mistaken belief that a potentially harmful compound was being replaced by one not potentially harmful. So on to the questions:

Acetyl Propionyl (Pentandedione) can not in any way occur in Ejuice without it being intentionally and knowingly added. By your own test results, 7 of your 10 liquids tested positive. One in particular was as high as 628 ug/ml. Is this added at your own facility, or was it present in flavorings purchased commercially? If commercially purchased, were you aware of these levels prior to marketing them? Do you hope to completely eliminate this compound in your line?

Thank you again for your previous response, and in advance for the answers to these new questions. I am satisfied with the responses you have supplied, and look forward to your responses, and complete transparency regarding these kinds of concerns from your company in the future. This has been my only cause for consternation in this matter regarding Five Pawns and I hope it serves as an example for all manufacturers to be pro-active in disclosing this information. What individuals choose to do with it, and the choices they make, is rightfully then theirs.

Thank you again and best regards.

Unfortunately yes, a small number of people received an inaccurate response to questions specifically relating to the presence of 2,3 butanedione (diacetyl) and / or 2,3 pentanedione (acetyl propionyl). After much investigation and having to scan all outgoing email from a customer service computer, we unknowingly found that responses sent prior to testing were being sent out between 5/27/14 and 10/19/15. Other than these small numbers of responses, we are not aware of any additional responses that occurred over the phone or otherwise. We feel terribly that these people were misinformed and have reached out to each and every one of them directly. Five Pawns has never advertised, marketed, or promoted the absence of these compounds in our liquids. We’ve only stated that we’ve never added diacetyl to our liquids. Unfortunately the diacetyl being detected was naturally occurring.

We did have a conversation with Cloud9 where they asked for our results. We explained to them that Five Pawns does not release testing results currently because there is no real standards for testing or validated monographs for testing. We did explain that we have different test from multiple labs that were coming back with different results depending on the methods used. Some were coming back with non-detectable levels of certain compounds, where others were showing varying amounts in PPM. Until there was a better understanding of these test results and what the true exposure issues could be, we felt it was unclear what any of this data meant and needed to understand why there are so many variables for testing. We have spent tremendous resources consulting with chemist and researchers to better understand our products and how we can better standardize these methods. While in the UK for Vape Jam, we tried repeatedly to meet with Cloud9 in person and they unfortunately weren’t interested in meeting with us.

Yes, and without customers even being aware. We have performed multiple recipe “tweaks” to our formulas over the past year. We’ve only done this when we’ve been able to evolve our products without sacrificing experienceand flavor profile.

• From what I have read about GC testing, GC-FID testing CAN accurately show diketone concentration but only IF the equipment was calibrated specifically for AP and DA prior to testing. Was this calibration done in the case of your GC-FID test results?

Yes, and we currently subscribe to the theory that GC/FID is a much more pinpointed test when calibrated to look for these components. Another poster stated they thought GC/MS would give even higher readings. Our CG/MS readings have always proven to show lower levels of detection than that of GC/FID.

Yes, we are currently funding ongoing studies which we’re excited to share in the not so distant future. We have financially contributed to a Dr. Farcilinos study, have funded e-liquid studies, inhalation studies, and white paper research on comparing occupational exposure of the compounds we’re discussing here as compared to vaping. We’re interested in what’s in the vapor vs. what’s in the liquid and what the exposures are with so many different variables in using the product.

• Does Mr. Burton have any personal investment or financial interest in Five Pawns?
We know Mark Burton and consider him a friend. We also feel that Mark has a positive voice within the vapor industry. Mark has absolutely no affiliation with Five Pawns legally, financially, or in any kind of a consulting basis.

Last edited:

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
If there is a problem the mods will take care of it.

Did someone say mod?

Please keep the thread civil. So far, everything looks okay but I sense a bit of tension. Let's focus on the topic please. :)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place

Gavin,

If you mistakenly quoted my post then disregard this (though I would still like it addressed), but if you meant to respond, I am curious what the response is since there is nothing here that is in response to it.

And...

This is kind of important here, but during the (assumed) dates you are referring to where people (no matter how small the number) were told that you all were in fact diketone free, do you know of any implications or direct statements that would've led people to believe that these were not just mere assumptions on 5P's part, but that you all in fact had proof that you were diketone free? I ask because I was led to believe in a previous conversation (pre-dating all of this) that you all had already done rigorous testing on your liquids (though it was not explicitly told to me that testing showed diketone-free liquids).

When I heard of the SB dust-up last year when you all were supposed to be releasing test results to you know who, I imagined that those were just the most recent test results, not the first. Was that the first testing you all had done? If not, were the previous results different? If they were different, can you comment on what was different? Did diketone presence have anything to do with the formula change?

Just an FYI, some customers are aware of tweaks (especially when their favorite liquid is altered even minimally) and it's not always a welcome awareness. But formula tweaks are not unique to 5P (of course). I just wish liquid manufactures knew that tweaking formulas is not as seamless as they seem to often think. This is just a gripe I have with formula tweaks in general, and not just in eliquid. Sorry for veering off track here.

Last edited:

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Let's take a lesson from a company called Halo who strives to understand and communicate with their customer and met their needs....compared to your business model which only cares about profits and any means, even if unethical, in which to generate it . They understand what their customers want, why they want it, and have went above and beyond to mirror those concerns and priorities back to their customers to convey "we hear you and we get it". Not only are they talking the talk..they are walking the walk by backing up their words with well defined actions and procedures going forward to met the desires and concerns of their customers.
As a matter of fact, their track record shows they have been building their business model around honest and moral business practices since day one. When the diketone issue became a concern, they were on top of it and was addressing it many years back, when it recently came to light that company's were intentionally misrepresenting their liquids as well as making claims they would not or could not back up, Halo as a company took it upon themselves and responded to the outrage and demand by vapers for more transparency by responding immediately....IMMEDIATELY!!!...and nobody had to force their hand.

Point is....even if you tried to copy and practice moral and ethical business practices likewise, it wouldn't be the same because they and some other eliquid sellers have been doing it from day one, where you are only doing it because you got caught and trying to save face. The path of smoke and damage is as far as it is wide 5P....shakes head and forever closes wallet permanently.

Here take a lesson on how to do things RIGHT.... Halo's eLiquid Test Results | HaloCigs Blog

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Gavin, thank you for your answers. My first follow up question dovetails what @DoubleEwe posted but presents it a little differently in an effort to respectfully clarify this issue.

You said and bolded by me:
•Did any employees of 5 pawns state to customers via phone, email or any other means that your products did not contain DA or AP?

Please review this email question post/response by Wide-O and the answer from your support rep

It appears that this 5P rep is providing a "non answer" since the operative word is CONTAINS. Is this email response "approved" as SOP by 5P?

IMHO, even a 5P answer which states in effect ..."that we’ve never added diacetyl to our liquids" is not only confusing to the vaper, a non answer, and lacks merit since NO ONE that I am aware of in the flavor industry produces a DA and or AP flavor. As I'm sure you know, these elements are either contained in a flavor like custard, butter, etc or the result of the interaction of chemicals in the respect flavors. Is the 5P response of "...we’ve never added diacetyl to our liquids" an "approved" as SOP 5P answer?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Reactions: DoubleEwe

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Let's take a lesson from a company called Halo who strives to understand and communicate with their customer and met their needs....compared to your business model which only cares about profits and any means, even if unethical, in which to generate it .
w0w... Purdy presuming of you...

Stopped reading at this point...

Jim

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi ECF,

I am one of the owners of Five Pawns and I appreciate the opportunity to have some open dialogue with this community.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob. Welcome to the ECF.

Since there seems to be a Large Divergence in the Numbers that your Lab has Reported and the Numbers that Cloud 9's Lab Reported, would you be Opposed to Random Samples (obtained from Random Retail sources) of your e-Liquids being Tested by an Independent Laboratory? And then the Results being Publically Published?

That is, of course, if an Unbroken Chain of Custody could be Shown.

Reactions: Rossum

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hi Rob. Welcome to the ECF.

Since there seems to be a Large Divergence in the Numbers that your Lab has Reported and the Numbers that Cloud 9's Lab Reported, would you be Opposed to Random Samples (obtained from Random Retail sources) of your e-Liquids being Tested by an Independent Laboratory? And then the Results being Publically Published?

That is, of course, if an Unbroken Chain of Custody could be Shown.
Didn't you just ask this about 21 hours ago?

Reactions: Pinggolfer

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread