What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa

Read it and weep. After the government managed to put Star Scientific out of business, Tropical Bob had a tobacco store owner search wholesalers for remaining supplies. He bought all that could be found. Bob, in turn, bought them from him. That was two years ago. The picture is of the last in his supply. RIP

Reactions: hittman

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
From what Tropical Bob wrote, after they went belly up in 2012, Reynolds bought them out and killed most of the products. I'm guessing they kept the Wintergreen, but perhaps the ones currently for sale were what's left of Star's inventory. I think TB would kill for your stock. He apparently used them for after dinner.

Rock Creek apparently is totally a Pharma Company right now. From what he said, the CEO of Star who got the Virginia governor thrown in jail is down in Fla somewhere near TB. Reynolds bought most of the patents and killed the products. The CEO kept patents for a weight-loss product made from tobacco. That's makes good sense, since we all know many women who continue smoking cigarettes as a weight-control method. The ex-CEO, Jonnie Williams Sr (I think), claims to have isolated the weight-loss alkaloid and will market it as a dissolvable tablet, according to TB .

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yeah, if you can stay out of the drama, it's great to keep up with people you don't see much or never.

I just learned something. I have a little mp3 player that I use (illegally of course) to play music when I'm riding. It is something like 8gb plus I had a 16 gb card in it and concerted a lot of cds to mp3's and put them on the reader. Well, I noticed recently that I only had a few songs that were shuffling and took a look at it. Somehow the card popped out so I only had a small group of songs recycling. I have all the songs on my server so losing the card was no big deal, but I had it loaded so decided to get a new one with a lot more storage. That should be here tomorrow or Monday from Amazon.

Then I started thinking about my Amazon Prime account and their free music library, but there was no way to move the music to the player. However, it was easy to download to a smartphone. I never wanted to tie up my phone's storage with music, but I had an old one laying around so cleaned all the apps off and started downloading albums and other free compilations. I've already put 700 songs on the phone and I still have over 5gb left on main storage and the SD card is empty.. The downloads are amazingly quick. Not quite sure of what technology they use, it certainly isn't an mp3 format, certainly much more compact.

The thing I like about it is that you get tired of something, you just delete it and put something new on.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I don't know if anyone else here buys from Fasttech but I do on occasion. I know when I order from them that it's gonna take two weeks to get my stuff normally. I ordered a glass atomizer from them and some coils. It took 20 days to get it in the mail and it came in a paper envelope with no padding. The glass on the tank was crushed and the coils were rolling around loose in the box they came in. Any other coil I have bought has come sealed in foil or plastic. Anyway, I started a ticket and they said they would send a new tank. I took that as they would replace the atomizer. Nope, after another 19 days I received a glass tube and one oring. I think that's a bunch of crap and told them so. The person that responded to my ticket seems to think that I should go ahead and use the atomizer after it had broken and crushed glass inside. I disagree and told them. I think I'm finished ordering from Fasttech.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Hitt, you must be under a bad cloud or I've been extremely luck. I've ordered from them various times and only once I had an issue. Can't recall exactly what it was, I think it was a missing part. I emailed to them, they got back quickly and asked me to photo something, I think the packing slip and they offered to send it out right away or issue a credit.

I know at the time I had a few people ask me to order stuff for them so I told them I had another order that I'd be placing a few weeks later and asked if they could include it with that order. When I placed the order I mentioned the missing part and everything arrived fine.

Well, yesterday I got home in the afternoon and Gizmo and I mowed the lawn. I got a package from Amazon with his new carrier-

Amazon.com : Pet Legs Out Front Style Mesh Dog Cat Carrier/bag Black Backpack -Medium Size : Pet Supplies

The test voyage was a complete success. He was wondering what I was doing to him at first, but once he was zipped in he just seemed to enjoy the ride around the yard. He's ready for his first motorcycle journey.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Has anyone converted 4 foot T-8 or T-12 bulb fixtures to LED T-8s yet? I've been having a problem in the kitchen with the lights coming on when I flipped the switch at times and it got worse lately. I wasn't sure if the problem was in the old tubes or perhaps the ballast so I checked out youtube for diagnostics and the best I got was replace the bulbs and if there was still a problem replace the ballast, great.

Then I started reading up on the LEDs and decided to check them out. It took me about 24 hours and a couple emails but I got to understand which LEDs I had to buy and how to set up the wiring. It's going to take a few snips and re connecting the right leads on the tombstones to the common and load house wires, but it's only about a 15 minute job. Ordered the new bulbs so shortly I'll be off florescent in the kitchen and hopefully be practically maint free in that area and save some money on the electric bill.

The next goal will be the basement and garage fixtures as the bulbs in them burn out. I've got four fixtures in the ceiling of the LR that I used to use incandescent, then halogen, that I converted to dimmable LEDs and I haven't had to replace a bulb in a few years and I'd like to do that with the 4 foot fixtures before I get too shaky ladder climbing.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I think CFLs are little mercury bombs. I've had more break when they burn out. I've only had one florescent bulb break and that was my clumsiness. What doesn't she like about the CFL bulbs? Personally I like the closest to daylight as possible, but that has a lot to do with the general darkness of my house. Living in the woods plus general window position in the LP, I like daylight imitation and dimmable so I can soften the light at times. I also hve one lamp that I keep in the corner that has a soft white bulb, CFL, when I just want slight lighting.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    She says that they don't seem bright enough. I think they are fine. Her eyes aren't as good as they used to be so maybe that's part of it.

My Friday morning turned to crap. I had to take off on an "emergency" service call. It turned out not to be an emergency. Especially since its going to take two days to get the parts. Now I've got another guy calling wanting a service call. This always happens when I'm a week behind on work.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Then your wife would love the LED lights. A bulb like this-

LE® 12W A19 E26 LED Bulbs, 75W Incandescent Bulbs Equivalent, 1050lm, Daylight White, 6000K, Medium Screw, 180° Beam Angle, LED Light Bulbs, Pack of 5 Units - - Amazon.com

with a daylight bright designation will blow her mind. The ceiling lights I spoke of were okay when I went from 100W incand. to halogen, however it was to another level when I put the ones in the LR. So bright in face that the two smaller fixtures in the room only got on replaced because the other was working when I bought them and when the second blew out, there really was no need for all four.

To give you an idea, I have two overhead wells in the kitchen, I believe I had CFLs in there when one blew out. I bought 2 of these which are a soft white. Replaced the one and am still waiting to replace the other but it hasn't failed yet. I bought them in Jan. 2012. The bulbs are expensive but the lack of maintenance and the low draw makes me smile when I look at my electric bills.

Lightkiwi D7623 PAR30 Warm White Dimmable LED Spot Light Bulb, 75-watt Equivalent - Led Household Light Bulbs - Amazon.com

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Oh, almost forgot Hitt, I was checking out the LED bulbs for my application and I saw HD had a wall of the light fixture bulbs back where the 4 footers were in HD. I didn't reall check any of the specs or the price but I took note for the future. I know the ones I saw were cree and perhaps these-

Cree 60W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A19 Dimmable LED Light Bulb with 4Flow Filament Design-BA19-08050OMF-12DE26-3U100 - The Home Depot

I'd take a chance with one of them for her, I think she'd love it.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Maybe I'll grab on next time I'm there and just put it in somewhere to see if she notices.

Work was hell today. Two service calls in the heat. It's always hotter inside the welding shops than outside. It was low to mid 90's today's. I'm thinking more as I get older that I need to figure out how to get a desk job.

Users who are viewing this thread