Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I have some samples of Rayon Pharma Coil in route. They offered three different linear densities and the quote was in 18 pound case increments. Much smaller than I've been able to find online in previous search attempts. The price per pound without shipping came in lower than Graham's CelluCotton through Sally's. If the samples prove out well, I will be ordering a case. Of course, I will share the love with you fine folks.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I setup my FeV last night with the dm Viskose, the ball was a little hard to unroll and the fibers will pull apart in small pieces rather easily. I take it we combine longer strands side by side to make sturdier wick that doesn't break into these small pieces.

If that makes any sense.

I setup the Big German with it as well but I ended up with too much over the juice holes and it would not wick properly for me. The Big German is sort of similar to an Orchid build, where you just know there is not enough wick on the deck and it will flood. But in the end it works perfectly instead. I'll work with it some more this weekend as I want to put mesh feeders in the Big German's wick holes, there is 1 ml of juice left over at the bottom of a tank you can't get at with regular wicking. My Roses, KF4 and FeV VS will get some Viskose treatment as well.

Flavor is great from the FeV this morning and wicking like a charm. The first thing I noticed with the dm Viskose was that odd taste I get from Sally's in not there and no earthy/t-shirt taste from KGD. I wasn't really expecting a cotton type taste, but I was waiting for something like that bit of Sally's foulness.

I can see when this bag is gone that I am going to be seeking out more, a buddy wants to try it as well so I will have to share some with him. No, this is My Precious... :lol:

Slavkov is our Balkan Rayonati crack dealer who is going to get us all hooked on the good stuff and we will have to make a pilgrimage over the Витоша for our fix!
:toast:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I've been struggling to like the FEV for three weeks. I've been fooling, occasionally, with it as a dripper and just couldn't get decent flavor out of it, lots of vapor, sure, but crapola flavor. Then it dawned on me what might be wrong.

I'm using a single, 28 gauge, titanium coil on a device built for nickel. With dual 28 gauge coils at around .26 to .28 ohms, 25 watts at 400F works fine. A single coil at .54 is a horse of another color though. I dropped the temperature down to 300F and it's a bomb at 15 watts.

I fooled with stainless through the tank feed holes and gave that up as beyond my comprehension, for the moment anyway. This morning I just stuffed some rayon down them, trimmed flush on top with a bit of a tail looping around in the bottom, and it works fine. It's holding 15 watts with no problem and the flavor is great.

Once I'm comfortable that it won't leak I can see it becoming my regular "all day" tank system. Being able to check the coil is a nice feature, but between rayon, titanium and TC checking the coil isn't really necessary, at least not more often than every few weeks.

In the mean time, my Fogger 6 build from last month as passed the 200ml, plus, mark and is still going strong. I checked the coils on Tuesday and it still looks like it has another 200ml left on it, at least.

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
Well, I fell off the rayon wagon a while back.

I was using ... cotton, which wicks well, but tastes like a dirty wet t-shirt sometimes. Moved into Native Wicks, which are actually pretty damn good - it's cotton, but doesn't vape like it. I'm thinking about going back to rayon - what's this viscose everyone's talking about? When I was on rayon, Sally's was all the rage.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kaezziel

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
It's all the same thing!!!!

Rayon is viscose!!!!

Whatever its called, different countries have different names for it, rayon and viscose are interchangable names.

Bamboo, eucalyptus, yucca, apple tree, whatever.. The plant source is processed to a cellulose extraction and a viscose it made then regenerated to cellulose fibers that are called rayon in the USA.

The main difference between the different grades is the crimp in the fibers and the final wash stages..

Sally's can be brought to a much cleaner state by rinsing gently in water. And gently drying it, trying to leave it in the original form without breaking it apart.

Sallys (Graham cellucotton) is a cheaper grade and also stored unsealed in a beauty shop.. These are the reasons it can have a slight off taste for a bit when first using it.. But that's still better than cotton and performs to 200+ ml also.

DM viskose is pharmaceutical or medical grade rayon ball available in Bulgaria and other eastern European countries only!. It's still rayon just passes a cleaner requirement. Much like the other medical balls in the US.

Last edited:

Landman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Central AR
...I still have no idea what that taste is like, that people notice with Sally's. :blink:
I can sure taste it... completely overtakes the juice flavor. It's what I would expect sweaty socks to taste like. And it takes about 1/4 tank before I can no longer taste it. Unfortunately KGD doesn't taste any better, but at least it only takes about 20 or so drags before it's gone. The rayon seems to wick better and last longer with the 70 to 80vg I typically use though, but it's still hard to use due to the taste. It probably has a little to do with what flavor juice that's being used and mostly with the individual's taste buds.

I handle all the maintenance when it comes to my wife's vaping, from filling to rebuilding. I changed to rayon in her tanks - without telling her - and even tried to vape some of the taste out myself before setting it out for her to use, and she said something was wrong with the juice and thought it had gone bad, lol.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Your doing it wrong or have a bunk source of rayon..

Using too much in the coil.

Did you buy a baggie from some random source?

If someone even touches it its contaminated!

If you touch it with hands that aren't twice washed; It will absorb anything on your hands quickly.

Sally's being unsealed can cause a variance of initial quality.

But handling is the single biggest cause of off taste imo.

Overstuffing will cause a muted juice flavor or rayon taste.. Nutty/ woody is the dominate flavor most notice.

The more over stuffed it is the longer the rayon taste will take to clear.. Ideally it doesn't take long if at all.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I can sure taste it... completely overtakes the juice flavor. It's what I would expect sweaty socks to taste like. And it takes about 1/4 tank before I can no longer taste it. Unfortunately KGD doesn't taste any better, but at least it only takes about 20 or so drags before it's gone. The rayon seems to wick better and last longer with the 70 to 80vg I typically use though, but it's still hard to use due to the taste. It probably has a little to do with what flavor juice that's being used and mostly with the individual's taste buds.

I handle all the maintenance when it comes to my wife's vaping, from filling to rebuilding. I changed to rayon in her tanks - without telling her - and even tried to vape some of the taste out myself before setting it out for her to use, and she said something was wrong with the juice and thought it had gone bad, lol.
Thank You!

I was starting to believe I was the only one tasting this or possibly that my box of Sally's had a problem. It is a really hard taste to describe but it does overpower the juice and it is not a pleasant flavor. I thought it was gone after I removed the top 300' of the Sally's box but it still shows up quite often. I have even had it when there has not been enough wick in the coil. (Those coils continue to sizzle for a second or two after you let off of the button.)

The Cotton Labo Puffs I have do present that earthy/t-shirt taste but it is not as offensive as the Sally's taste and it does dissipate very quickly.

I can't stand the taste of Celery, Brussell Sprouts or Green Peppers but I do love Jalapeno and Banana Peppers so it probably stands out more for me.

My first Rayon was from a vape shop in Ontario @ $1 a foot, which is their markup to obviously make a good profit. It was in the same format as Sally's but it had a totally different texture, the strands seemed shinier and more uniform. I never experienced an off taste with that Rayon.

I might try boiling a few yards and see what develops.

Landman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Central AR
Your doing it wrong or have a bunk source of rayon..

Using too much in the coil.

Did you buy a baggie from some random source?

If someone even touches it its contaminated!

If you touch it with hands that aren't twice washed; It will absorb anything on your hands quickly.

Sally's being unsealed can cause a variance of initial quality.

But handling is the single biggest cause of off taste imo.

Overstuffing will cause a muted juice flavor or rayon taste.. Nutty/ woody is the dominate flavor most notice.

The more over stuffed it is the longer the rayon taste will take to clear.. Ideally it doesn't take long if at all.
Yeah, I'd read through the start of the thread so I knew to take extra precaution in handling it. It was from Sally's but unfortunately the bag inside the box was just loosely twisted around when I opened it - definitely not sealed. I pulled 20 feet or so out and trashed it, hoping it would get better but no luck. I'll try gently rinsing it and see if that helps... it's not an issue of using too much though. I think it's probably just a bum box unfortunately.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Yeah that was some of my concerns with Sally's off the get go but it was just so readily available for people to get.

I can't stand the smell of a beauty shop with the perm stuff man, nasty.. If some of those odors crept into the box I can see an off taste developing till it rinses out with juice.

I don't think boiling or heavy washing is required.. I noticed a big difference with a simple 30second soak in a bowl of water.

Not only does any off taste get removed but also the fibers come out shinier looking, like a higher quality rayon ball..

Just a simple dip did it.. It dries on a paper towel quickly. Some have hung strips like a cloths line.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
A buddy of mine bought Rayon from the same vape shop I did. He bought a 12' bag of it and a bunch of KGD, when the cotton ran out he switched over to the Rayon. This guy delivers building supplies all day from a boom truck and also handbalming with cowhide gloves, we all know how those gloves smell on your hands after a while.

I have watched him roll a piece of that Rayon on his work jeans with hands he washed when he got home after using the bathroom. He put that jean rolled piece of Rayon in the device he was rebuilding, juiced it up and passed it over to me. There was no off taste, just the juice we were vaping at the time.

Not trying to prove a point, I'm just relating what I have witnessed and tasted.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Very true! Take a guess at how I got my gasoline-flavored vape juice!

Wash yo' hands!
Gasoline or Diesel will still linger on your hands even after you wash them.
I'll pick up some Zep Cherry Bomb!
0951-lg.jpg

Might as well have a decent flavor on the Rayon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread